Hostas Have Become More Affordable

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jewell, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    KostaKid, great idea of getting them at a plant swap. Haven't been yo one in a couple of years. Maybe I need to plan on attending one next fall or spring. lol must be time to look for new babies and share old ones. Great idea.

Carolyn, I love going to the farmer's market. It is pretty pricey though (overhead costs for vendors isn't cheap). I will have to give them a look again. I hope mine will be successful so that I can divide them and create some bigger beds of hostas.

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jewell, hit up the markets in smaller communities. They don't have the overhead that the larger markets make for them. There is a market that is not far from here and it is $170.00 for the season, which may not be a lot for some markets, but if you only have plants a few times it is a big expense. That is a lot of money to remake if you are a small vendor. The smaller markets (here at least) charge by the day for a spot. That way if a seller has only seasonal items it isn't such a huge expense for them. And I would say hosta's can be a seasonal item.

3. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I know on GarenWeb. They trade just Hosta. I use to trade on there seeds and plants.But it's better to trade where you can see the plants-they have section just for local swaps in your area.

4. Jewell

KosztaKid I'm hoping to get some hostas at a September plant trade. Keeping an eye out at sale racks too. Luckily we've had a cool summer and the plants that survived the slugs are looking good.

Advertisement
  5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Welcome among the HostaHolics! You've found yourself some nice ones there, good luck with them. :D

stratsmom likes this.
  6. Jewell

Thanks Droppy. You know you are one of the inspiring gardeners that have lead me to the hostaholics world :D

7. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I'm a little worried....I am now a "Hostaholic" and an "Iris Junkie" :D :D :D

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

To qoute my mother, who's been every-plant-imaginable-holic: Being an alcoholic will ruin both your health and your wallet. Being a plantoholic is a lot better for your health but it will still hurt your wallet. :D

stratsmom likes this.