How did you choose your username?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I was named after an uncle, that was exciting, wait!! there's more!!

It was a warm morning in the late summer of 1948 and thirty or so children squirmed in their seats as the first grade teacher passed out paper. With the brand new pencil she had given us earlier she wanted us to print our names on each line of the paper. She then disappeared into the next room leaving us to the task at hand. The bottom of the paper looked a long way away as I started to print. Oh no!! I thought, problems already, do I start my name with a 'J' or a 'G'? I looked around to see the other children printing away. Line by line they were filling the paper toward that line on the far bottom of the page. I didn't want the very first task in 1st grade to be wrong!! Then I had an eureka moment, it would not be my last. I quickly filled each line of the paper, reaching the end just as the teacher entered the room. I raised my hand, wanting to be the first to get her attention. She pointed in my direction. Anticipation pushed the question out of my mouth, a quivering false start and then I questioned, " Does my name start with a 'G' or a 'J'?" She provided the answer that would define my name for the rest of my life. "It starts with a 'J'," she replied. I quickly completed the assignment printing a 'J' in front of each 'erry Sullivan.' We passed the papers forward to be collected by the teacher. The day was turning out O.K., recess was a few minutes away and there were a lot of new faces to meet in the schoolyard on that warm late summer morning of 1948.

Jerry

Frank and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Great strategy Jerry or is it Gerry? :)

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

My mom gave me my first name... my husband gave me the second name. Gee, how original.

4. jonty

jonty New Seed

Jonty was my border collie and seeing I look like him thought it was appropriate :p

Frank and Philip Nulty like this.

Advertisement
  5. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Koszta is whereI live small town of 29 people

6. Anemone

Anemone New Seed

The username I usually use on the internet was taken when I signed up for a online game a year and a half ago, so I just picked a random flower name.

I met a guy in that game, a guy who lived 2000 km away from me - actually we got married 3 weeks ago...

I figured I would stick with my "new" name since it brought me luck earlier :D

Philip Nulty and jonty like this.
  7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Congrats Anemone :stew2:

8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

In Gaelic my name is Philip Mac An Ultaigh,..it means,.. "Philip-Son- Of -An- Ulsterman-Who -Minds- Horses",..and the English translation is as you see it in my avatar.

Lil Bug likes this.
  9. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

If you were to ever see me up close and personal like. You would understand.

10. Frugalkate

Frugalkate Seedling

It's a mixture of my name and my frugal lifestyle ;)

11. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

First I thought of Gardengnome, but no, gnomes are not really my thing.
    Somehow I then came up with Gardenelf.
    I've always been fascinated by Arthur Rackham and similar pictures of fairies and elves. :stew1:

12. calvinjane

calvinjane Seedling

One day a calico cat showed up in our back yard. As my husband has a bad habit of taking in stray cats, my response was NO MORE CATS. Then the cold weather set in and foolish me, I let her in the house one night. Callie became our houseguest that never left. I usually call her Calvinjane instead of Callie - that's my story.

13. Miss Liberty

Miss Liberty Seedling

It was fascinating to hear all the stories. I was named Liberty because I was born three minutes into July 4th. My parents thought about naming me Independence, but Mom refused after it was noted that I'd be called "Indy." So Liberty it was.

All my friends call me Libby. "Miss Liberty" usually came out when I was one step away from getting into trouble. Considering that I'm jumping into gardening with both feet, who knows how much trouble I'll be getting into.

My husband teases me and calls me Miss Liberty. I'll correct him and tell him, "That's Mrs. Liberty to you."

14. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Well I chose my username from something my hubby and I say to each other about our little dog Tootsie. If we are going somewhere we will ask each other-Tooty too? In other words, is she coming with us.
    So I just added shoes on the end of it because it rimes. That's how I came up with Tooty2shoes. My given name is Patricia. But I prefer Patti always with an i at the end.

15. Reeseewi

Reeseewi New Seed

My user name is one my neices and nephews gave me a very long time ago all except the WI part that is.