How did you come to live where you live?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Capt Kirk, Oct 29, 2009.

1. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

I lived here in my early years, then moved to Wisconsin and then back to this area. I met my husband and we raised two boys and will probably stay in this area. wannabe

2. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I've always lived in Louisiana. In fact, the town I grew up in, Darrow, is only about 35 miles SW of where I live now. We ended up in French Settlement for several reasons, the main one being that my Mom moved here after my Dad and her divorced. In fact, my Dad also ended up living here too, go figure. When my husband hurt his back we wanted to get out of Baton Rouge where we were living. My Mom called one day and asked us how would we like to rent a house for $20 a month. I thought, yeah right Mom. The people who owned the house, a 110 year old Acadian house, only charged what there insurance was. My Mom went to church with the woman who was presently living there, so between the 2 of them they got the house for us. We lived there 9 years, then had to move. We stayed in another rental for 6 years until we were finally able to buy a place. We have 1.81 acres of land and a mobile home. My Mom also moved her mobile home on our property. It is down a dead in road and it's pretty quiet here, kinda lazy and laid back. I love it.

3. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I was born in Carshalton, Surrey and lived there until I met Mark when I was 27. We then moved to Maidstone in Kent as we figured, with him being an Essex boy and me a Surrey girl, Kent was midground and would suit everyones travel. It didn't and we seemed to spend every weekend travelling, so, after a rather miserable 18 monthes in Kent, we sold up and moved to a little village just outside of Chelmsford in Essex, and I love it here. However, we don't intend to stay in Essex - the grand plan being, once the children hit around 18 years old, we will sell up and move to the coast, possibly down towards Devon where my maternal family originate.

4. Calomaar

Calomaar Deputy's Friend

Like many of you I spent most of my life in the same area. We lived in the northern suburban Milwaukee area. When Mimi & I married, we stayed in the same relative area. After I retired, we decided to live in the family summer home on a lake in far northern Wisconsin. After an extensive remodel, we moved in and intend to live out our lives here. It is the most beautiful place I can imagine. I came here in the 50s deer hunting, long before I met Mimi, and loved it then. She and her family have been coming here since the 30s. Our daughter is just north of Milwaukee, my brother is half way between Milwaukee and Madison, and my sister is in Boise Idaho. Nearness of family, and familiarity are the predominant reasons for our living choices.
    Tom

Advertisement
  5. lexxivexx

lexxivexx In Flower

Great topic!

I was born here in Salem, Oregon.

Rob's story is a bit more interesting, as he was born in Georgia, raised in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. When he was a teenager his Mom moved the family to Tri-Cities, WA to re-marry. That didn't sit well with him, so after a few months he went back to Georgia, then Oak Ridge again. He was stranded in New York for a while, then came back to Tennessee once more.

He moved to Tacoma, Washington for a few years and landed the computer technician job that would send him to Salem.
    We met in 2004 and were roommates for a few months. He moved to Tri-Cities for another computer job in the Summer of 2005.
    In 2006 we became a long-distance couple. He was able to transfer a bit closer (just for me, what a sweety) and that's how we wound up in Vancouver, Wa for 2 years.
    A brief stint in Portland, a completely different job for him as manager of a clothing store and here we are back in my home town.
    Next time we move, I think it's his turn to pick the place. :)

6. manicrabbit

manicrabbit New Seed

Moved to sunny CA because hubby had a better job offer here. Been here for around 3 years now. So far, I am happy with the move.

moderator's note: removed website link, see point 1.1 of usage rules

7. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

great stories all!

i was born in Alaska and my folks moved to Maine when i was six, cause the schooling system was better. i grew up there then went to college for a year on Long Island NY. then i travelled around the country and lived in many different states. ended up back in Maine for 7 plus years, then hit the road again and ended up in Mt. Rainier and met my hubby. we lived there for a year plus, then, on the hottest day in September, Labor Day, we helped a friend move her 9 goats, 2 dogs, 2 sheep, 2 horses over the passes to here. the trip too us 12 hours...usually it would take four to 6 at the most. i can't remember how many times her truck overheated on the high parts of the passes, and how many times we had to stop and care to the critters. so funny the looks we got when we stopped at the little shops along the way and the goats would bleet...they sound like a baby crying!

anyway, we saw this property for sale with the cabin and fields and little forest and fell in love. we've been here since '89 and still fall in love with the area every day!

8. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

Well I am 25 years old and I have moved 6 times and have lived in a 5 mile radius my entire life..But my wife and I are looking to move to Tennessee when this market picks up. It is just to hot in Florida and my wife being a school teacher is not wanting our daughter to go to school here!

Pacnorwest likes this.
  9. Earthworm

Earthworm New Seed

Why I live in Castlemaine

Given that most of your forum members live in the States, I'd like to give a little tale of a small town in Australia, if you don't mid.

This may be lengthy, somewhat rambling, seemingly irrelevant to geneal gardening, fantasically romantic to some,and frankly dull to others.

My partner - unmarried wife of 18 years - and I moved to Castlemaine after a series of horrid share houses in Melbourne that sent us quite mad after dealing with dumb-a**ed students, drug-heads, losers and nice-but-can't-get-their-s***-together left-wing friends.

Castlemaine kind of happened by accident in the 70's when a bunch of hippies found free land in the overgrown bushy hills, 150KM north of Melbourne and started a few artist studios, built mud brick houses and started communes - I guess much like in Northern California.

Since then it's become a bit of a Mecca to the Melbourne alternative; but now if the barista don't know your personal style - well???

We moved here largely because there is an amazing cultural network, an ability to build community and find simple pleasures that we could not see possible in the city. We would not raise a family in the violent, crazy madness of the city.

My children berate me constantly for stopping and talking, just hanging out in the square, the market, the village, trading vegies - when all they want to do is to not be embarrassed by being seen with feral hippies!!!

There is a sense of fair trade here, a strong resonation with the traditional owners of the land (the Djaar Djaar Wraung people), our Mayor is a member of the Australian Greens, - last State Election, 35% of our town voted Green!)

Our single single biggest industry employer ( a pork processor) last year employed over 500 migrants from Sudan, which obviously stimulated demand for housing, increased retail spending etc. etc. etc.

Forgive my digression. Back to gardens. From April to November we can expect severe frost. From October to April we don't expect rain. Long term average rainfall is about 580mm per year (use your US converters), that's not much! We tend to design gardens with mediterranean plants, local native grasses, and succulents; we rely more on form, foliage, structure, associative response to architecture, colour and integral movement, than on particular 'garden styles'. We engage rather than respond.

10. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

Born in UK in a market town outside Nottingham, moved to Grimsby fishing town, moved to Devon small country village moved back to Grimsby more smelly fish finally ended up in Montreal major city.

Took some moving but finally settled where i wanted :)

Pacnorwest likes this.
  11. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Ive lived in Indy nearly my whole life. Grew up on the north side in Broad Ripple (The city is divided up into districts). Moved just outside Castleton (northeast Indy) in elementary school. In 7th grade, I moved to Kentucky to live with my dad, we were there about 3 months when he got evicted (couldnt pay his rent on time) so moved to Greenwood (south side of Indy) to live with his gf (later, his wife). 8th grade moved back with mom who had moved to Castleton. When I was in college (at one point in '04 I had my own apt in the Castleton area), I met a guy who I moved to Connecticut with in '05. Moved back to Indy (Fall Creek area) in '06, and moved back in with mom later that year. And Im still here *sigh*

Kinda confusing eh? *lol*

Pacnorwest likes this.
  12. lulu1107

lulu1107 New Seed

I was a Navy brat. We started out in Cheltenham, MD, not far from where I am now. When I was 2 we lived in Turkey, moved to England from 4-6, then settled in the Baltimore area. I have lived no farther than 30 miles away ever since, even though we have traveled the U.S., often to visit my uncles, aunts and (until the 70's) grandparents. My dream is to live in a rural part of the UK. Those are some of my fondest memories. I'd have to spend part of the year here, too...I couldn't bear to leave my grown kids or my orchard!

Pacnorwest likes this.
  13. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

I was born and raised in the Garden state...NJ, we lived near the ocean in Point Pleasant Beach. When I married my husband, a career officer in the Marine Corps, we moved to Quantico, VA. We lived there for 23 years, he was stationed at three different duty stations within the Washington, D.C. area and when he retired from the USMC he took a job in Northern VA.

When our daughters graduated from college they both took jobs in Atlanta, GA. When we had the opportunity to transfer to Knoxville, TN we took it(Atlanta is 3 hours away).

We have been in the Knoxville area for 9 years and we like it here. :-D

Pacnorwest likes this.
  14. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I was born in the Neenah-Menasha area and I did move away right after I graduated and lived in Madison, Wisconsin for about a year and a half. Then we moved back by family. We did live in New London, not too far from here for 9 years but decided to move closer to watch the grandkids in sports. As I get older places without snow seem so nice to me....but most likely we will be here forever....

Pacnorwest likes this.
  15. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

I was born in North London and moved to the outskirts in Barnet, Hertfordshire when I was 8 months old. I lived there all of my unmarried life and when I met Don (who strangely enough was also born in London and moved to East Barnet when a baby) we married after a two year courtship and, guess what, bought a house in Barnet where we lived and raised our two children for 34 years. When we were coming up to retirement age we decided that we wanted a slightly quieter place to live so found our lovely bungalow in a village called Welham Green which is still in Hertfordshire but about 7 miles from Barnet so you see we are both reluctant to move very far from our original roots. We did want to move nearer to the coast but could not find a bungalow as nice as ours for the money we could afford so it looks as if for the time being we are staying.

Pacnorwest and Logan like this.