I hate poinsettias!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by dirt2diamonds, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Calomaar

Calomaar Deputy's Friend

Some how Christmas would be lacking something without the poinsettias adding the beautiful red color to the season. Mimi feels differently and doesn't want to get them . However her reason is the opposite from those expressed here. She loves the color and charm they bring, but says they just won't die, and she doesn't have the heart to just toss away an alive plant. Usually in April or May we plant them in the yard. Then in fall they go the way of most plants with the frost and snow. Your right the red leaves fall off, and they loose a lot of their charm. There is a way to get them back, but it beats me how you do it.
    Tom

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ok, Palm Tree...
    I took a couple of fotos of the split-leaf monstera. I have the small leaf variety. Where I am living now doesn't really have a good place for this plant, but he's surviving.
    here he is then:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

4. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Thanks a lot for the piccies Sjoerd.

Now that I have seen it, I can tell you that I also have a monstera in my front garden. I moved in here about three years ago and the plant was here. Now I know what it is. 8) Mine actually had fruits as well and it grows outside along the ground between other plants.

Strange enough I looked around in my neighbourhood for someone with a poinsettia - and there is not a single gardener in this vicinity that grows them. :rolleyes:

I will take a look on my monstera tomorrow to check if it still has some fruits on it.

Advertisement
  5. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

I was going to post that i had heard that to re-flower a pointsetta you should put a paper bag over it,, but i had no clue how long,,, now i do!!! thanks Netty, but i can't grow them up here, the days don't get warm enough an the nights to cold,, altho we do have going for us,, is the darkness,,,,lol.

Sjoerd i swear i am goin to short circuit my keyboard,, that is beautiful. Maybe i should sit back so i can't drool over the keyboard.

Calamaar, that is funny, i wish i had that problem. The only thing i can't get rid of is moss. but then i really don't want to either, its part of the charm of the Artic. all the lichens, mosses and reindeer mosses.

6. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Palm tree, that plant gets fruits,,, what kind of fruits,, can you eat them,,lol :D (thinking ahead here for jams, not that i have any growing) :oops:

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Wow Palm! That must be really nice to grow them outside. I saw them once in a jungle in Malaysia, they were huge with enormous leaves and and it was flowering. It was a magical place.
    Well if they have fruits, take a pic, by all means. I would like to see that!

Biita....hahaha.... you're a funny girl.Thanks thoiugh, I'll go and tell my monstera what you said. heh heh heh

8. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

subtract me......

You can subtract me .......I like poinsettas......Bigger the better..Now the pink really is a show stopper here......Of course I didnt buy any.....I am so spoiled.
    A dear friend gave me a nice tall amaryllis for christmas so that will keep me..It too will die quick. But i didnt buy it so ..no pain here.

Long live poinsettas......One year I did keep mine all summer and had it rebloom for the following year, but then it attracted white fly so bad, Out it went into the snow.

b

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Chuckle...B you really are the final solution, aren't you. well, the shock must have been great for the little flies.

10. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

When they get spritzed with glitter and all lined up in the stores, oh so pretty! And I am tempted, sorely tempted... and occasionally I will 'bite' and take one of them home, if there's a good sale - where they gradually turn into a pathetic leafless stick in a pot, or a long gangly thing with scraggly green leaves hanging off of it. I used to try to nurse them back to health, now I toss them when they are beyond 'repair.'

I may try the water-dish thing this year, just to see what happens. They really are pretty for however long they last. :)

11. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Oregan should be ok.

Poinsettas should............. be ok in oregan.
    I grew mine in the south window, upstairs in the hall. And they were great.....However ..white fly made me mad.

12. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Pointsettas are bright and pretty but I am frankly not a fan. I usually get a cyclaman or a kalanchoe for winter color. 8)

13. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

poinsetta

To each his own.......Somehow I am dying to get a huge pink one for christmas ..........

I was given an amaryllis for christmas it is almost in bloom.........

I dont have luck with the 2 you mentioned .
    I just discovered my PERSHIAN SHEILD is starting to bloom.....
    I didn't know it bloomed .. It has a leaf that is green on ends and pink in the center..
    FIrst time for me....i thought it was going to seed and almost pinched it off.. Now i see purple and whitish trumpet like flowers.

b

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I didn't knopw they bloomed either. I'll bet their blooms are lovely to see.

15. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Persian Shield

I will get a photo after it is in full bloom.. THey are a cluster of small bloom in a point shape.

I just found it this morning.. I keep house plants upstairs in the south windows and that one is in the shade........

It is pretty foilage.. Funny part, it is loosing the old leaves and starting new ones and blooming at the same time?????????????
    :oops: