Ike damage in Ohio

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Capt Kirk, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

I had a huge cottonwood snap off about 1/2 way up. It's in an area that I don't mow, so will cut it up as I get time. It isn't the best firewood, but it's better than none at all. It snapped off about 40 ft. up and the trunk is still standing. Here are some pics of it.
    That is a 3 ft yard stick leaning up against it for reference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is probably 12 cords of firewood there or more!

2. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

I got a call from my son who lives in Columbus, Ohio this morning. He is at a conference in Mass. but his girlfriend said they had 75 mile per hours winds and most of the city is without power. There's was back on but they don't know how long the city will be out.There was no tree or hme damage in their complex so they were lucky. Wannabe

3. Capt Kirk

I am 35 miles northwest of Columbus. They are saying that some parts of Columbus won't get power back for a week. American Electric Power over there had sent some of there people to Louisiana and Texas to help out there, but now have recalled them back. I lost power for about 4 hrs.

4. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

that darn Ike just doesn't know when to quit. I'm just floored at the ongoing damage it continues to cause.

Advertisement
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm just glad you weren't out taking piccies when that cottonwood fell!! :eek:

6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Capt...so much damage but like everyone else said at least nothing fell and damaged the house..every storm we had when we had a woods in the back yard we had a lot of clean-up...all the weaker branches seem to fall or break......thanks for sharing..

7. Capt Kirk

Well 3 days of cleaning up and the end is in sight! All we have left is the front yard, but that is where the most stuff is. Maybe 2 more days of work. So far have hauled 30 trailer loads, ( 17 cuft trailer) of debris to burn piles. Once winter is here I will burn them off.