Just joined? Announce yourself

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Frank, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I've been in Brooklyn. To a place on Gun Hill Road. Brian lived there before he joined the Navy and he took me there after we got married. That was a few years ago. Brian's family live in upstate New York. Around Newburgh. His mom lives in Penn Yan. You must be a Steeler fan if you are from Pittsburgh. Doolely

2. Julz

Julz New Seed

Greetings from sunny Florida!

Hello all... I'm a 30 year old stay-at-home mom of a crazy 3 year old and wife to a wonderful computer programmer.

I grew up around veggie gardening and now that I have the time and my own home I'm eager to become a full-time gardener. To ease myself into it, I've decided to start an herb garden first, since I've been growing basil & rosemary for a few years now in pots variously scattered.

I've read some in most of the forums, and I'm very happy to have found such a great resource with such seemingly kind community! :)

My first question: Is it my best bet to buy seeds/plants locally, or off the internet? TIA!

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there Julz. :D

A BIG welcome to our forums. Hope you make your stay with us a loooong one!!!

I'll get back to you asap with information about buying seeds/plants on the net. Just give me a while to feed my OH and get the dishes done and then I'll have a look around for some reliable herb sites.

Back soon. :)

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hey Julz 8)

Welcome to our great community here at GardenStew.com, so much to do here but so little time :) My name's Frank and similar to your husband I am also a trained computer programmer. It helps when I have to add new features to this site and generally make sure it is running tip-top (no server crashes etc...:rolleyes: ). But it is all made worthwhile by the great people here!

Be sure to check out our blogsand member map as well :D

All the best,
    // Frank

Advertisement
  5. Julz

Julz New Seed

Thank you both! I look forward to learning a lot! :)

6. grub

grub New Seed

Hello, I am Bobby
    I live in the heart of East Texas, USA. Beautifull piney woods, rolling hills and hollars, and the great Lake Fork. I farmed commercially for a while, well most of my life off and on. Not doing it right now, weather and climate changes have deterred me for a spell. Now I just do a 30 X 30 garden in the backyard. Trying to convert it to organic little by little. We grow yellow squash, purple hull peas, tomatoes, okra, cucumbers and a few watermelons every year. Enough to feed us and put up about 50 jars for the winter.

7. Frank

Hi Bobby, a HUGE welcome to our ever-growing community here at GardenStew! :wave:

Nice to hear that you are trying to go completely organic in your garden. One of our moderators Eileen has a completely organic garden, I'm sure she will have a few helpful pointers for you :D

8. eileen

Hi there Bobby. Nice to have you around. :D Sorry I didn't welcome you sooner but I've been away for a few days. Hope you're enjoying the forums. :)

9. my mother's green thumb

my mother's green thumb New Seed

Hello All,
    I just joined earlier today. I've been a patio gardener for the past several years, but this year I'm in a house with a yard. Yeah! So far, I've only done a small flower bed and some container stuff on my back patio. I'm looking forward to doing some real gardening though. I just started seeds indoors last night. I live in Jacksonville, FL and will hopefully be able to be planting a lot outside soon. So far, I have lettuce growing outside but that's it.

I chose my login name because out of 3 children, I'm the only one that has any urge to garden. My mother always had a fantastic garden. She passed away 12 years ago and gardening always makes me think of her and smile. :)

Look forward to getting to know everyone,
    Trish

10. eileen

Hi Trish I'm so glad you found us!! :D I really hope you'll enjoy GardenStew as much as I do. We're a friendly bunch here and I'm sure you're going to fit in well. Maybe you can give us some tips on patio gardening. :)

11. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

There is another new member wanting to know about container gardening on a patio or balcony. His name is slug.
    It's just been within the past week. Dooley

12. Frank

Hi Trish, a hearty welcome to GardenStew -> :wave: I'm glad you explained your login name because it was puzzling me somewhat :smt048

Out of interest what seeds did you sow indoors last night?

13. lowens284

lowens284 New Seed

NAME: Lance most just call me Erick
    Hobbies: Automotive, Hunting, Fishing, Gardening, Church, Family and more

If you ever in the Lubbock area look me up we'll get a cup of coffee or something.

14. Frank

Welcome to the community Erick! I'm sure you will enjoy it here ;) Can't promise I will be in Lubbock anytime soon but thanks for the offer :D

15. eileen

Hello Erick and welcome to GardenStew!! :D I've attempted to answer your post regarding trees for your garden but, being Scottish, I probably haven't been much help. :( I'm sure a few of our other American members will be able to give you lots of advice though. :)

I hope you make your stay with us a long one.

I look forward to your future posts. :D