Little Favourites.

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Sydney Smith, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Frank. Thanks for that and for your time. I will spend time and attempt to decipher it all - I am reckoned to be quite bright generally but these PC programmes defeat me.
    I upload from cameras to Picasa but I knew of no way to send pics straight from it to the Stew via Browse.
    Found a way to do it - from Picasa "Export to New Folder" into My Pictures and resizing them on the way to suit this Site - was sending them into My Documents which showed no pics only pic numbers.
    Seems to work OK now so all should be well. I do not upload from camera straight into My Pictures since they become oversize to send and theres no means to resize them.
    Best wishes. Syd.

2. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Sydney those are some great photo's. What some very beautiful birds you have in your little corner of the world.
    I also us Picasa and put all my photo's I post here into my export file folder. It does work so much better with a lot of sites. ;)

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Syd, you piqued my interest with your question about the origin of "downy" for the woodpecker. Turns out you were absolutely right, spot on!
    They are called "downy" because of their soft appearance, and second opinion is that the soft feathers near their beak contribute to their "downy" name. You have taught me something interesting--thank you!

4. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Jane - T2S - all. Always nice to talk and thanks for the interest - thanks also for the info on the Downy Woodpecker - very interesting and as stated we have learned something - always good that. I have more garden birds etc photos I would like to send but will have to space them out. They will include a couple of Gulls but these did/do come into the garden to feed even way inland.
    After this first batch will someone kindly say a word so that I can send the others including a few animals (ref double posting rule).
    Birds are. Crow-Collared Dove-Nuthatch-Magpie- Common Gulls.
    Syd.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Sydney Smith's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

You DO have a great variety of birds! I'm surprised that you get gulls, but then, they are opportunistic birds.
    Once a year, always in the spring, we get snow geese passing through. They generally land on freshly plowed fields and stay only long enough to rest up for the remainder of their migration. I have all the neighbors on the look-out for them this spring--I want photos! You and Kildale have raised the bar on bird photos. :)

6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Jane. Thanks for this. The Geese here behave much as yours do - stop for a feed and rest and then on again - huge flocks often. I did get some really good pics of some at sunset with them crossing the red sky - great but can now only find one mediocre one of them.
    Have some good other water bird pics but can I post them here on a garden topic?.

Ref Gulls they are as you say real "chancers" and always on the look out for a meal - brilliant eyesight as they can be tempted when way up to come down. Have a good story about them but it will have to wait a little. They come in from the coast right into the middle of our little Islands from all sides - even into London. Have more pics after these. Syd.

Pics are.Siskin-Redwing-Humble Bumble-Pheasant-Gull-Dunnock collecting food-Grey Squirrel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frank and Jewell like this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Again great photos, Syd!
    We don't have squirrels here on the farm--they stick around the pecan orchards. No need to ship any to me though, I have enough problems without squirrels eating my tomatoes and scaring the chickens! ;)

8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Sydney, these are wonderful pictures to see. So many are birds we do not have here. You have captured them in some great poses. Especially like the gulls. Thanks for sharing :stew2:

9. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi jewell - all. So glad you like the pics and the more so since theres some of them you have not seen before. This being so may I send some of a few of our water birds - some you will know - possibly others not. They are not strictly speaking garden birds but I would like to post them along with the others - keep them together to be the more easily seen. Some were taken at long range with zoom lens 50-500. The last 3 of Geese were taken on frozen lake in Holland. Apologies to Site if out of order here.
    Syd.

Common Gull-Curlew-Great Crested Grebe-Bar Tailed Godwit-Shelduck-Barnacle Geese(?)-White Fronted or Greylag Geese (?).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frank likes this.
  10. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Greenfinch and young Blackbird. Think I can see black feathers forming in its tail so probably a male bird. That water bowl was at last property and always very popular. Did have some good pics of various birds bathing but seem to have lost them. Syd.

Attached Files: