Loveliest HIbiscus ever?!

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by oubee, Jun 5, 2012.

1. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

IS this willow thing not supposed to be in hot water? Just water? And let it soak? I used to pour boiling water on the willow.
    IS this wrong? Does it kill that rooting property?

Cherylad. Really? Seed pod from every flower? What kind of Hibiscus is it???
    Over here, when I had "tropical" hibiscus the blooms would just fall off completely. Never have I seen a tiny seed capsule. I guess no specialized polinators over here?

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

calin, Just use tap water. nothing special although if you have chlorinated/city water it would be best to use filtered water. Willow trees root readily if you just put the twig right in the ground due to the chemical that initiates the rooting.

The tropical hibiscus does not set seed for me either, but the rose of sharon reseeds readily...everywhere and becomes a weed quite quickly if you don't keep up the pruning or weeding.

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Calin... the Texas Star Hibiscus is the one I was talking about. I can fill up a grocery bag of seed pods easily!
    And the White Dinner Plate also produces a lot of seed pods.

4. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Carolyn, I was referring to boiling as opposed to cold water. I usually use tap water for quite everything in my apartment.
    In the village, we have a well and we bucket up water for whatever we need.
    (there's running water, but that's not so good...and it costs!)

Cherylad...that makes sense. Quite all hibiscus kinds set seed here, except the tropical ones :(
    I don't have any now. At some point I had 4-5. But I was disappointed. Not with the blooms. But with their number of blooms. And open for just a few hours??? Come on!
    :)

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Calin, I am sorry, I misread your sentence. I have not used it boiling water or heard of using boiling water for this. I have no idea if it makes a difference. Give it a try both ways and see. Don't forget to let us know. I have easy access to the hormone pwdr so I haven't done any experimenting with it.

6. oubee

oubee In Flower

Hibiscus seed pods! Each of your replies above bears a revelation for me. Heartfelt thanks, dear friends :)