Midnight muncher Round 3

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jerry Sullivan, Nov 7, 2014.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

Half an acre in three days ? Pretty tore up ground ? Try wild hog.
    That is just not typical of raccoons.

2. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Goodness no Mart, not the whole half acre just 5 locations about a foot in diameter in an area 1/2 acre in size. The animal had been moving around locating the crocus and eating the spoils. It took the creature 3 days to locate all of them. We don't have any wild pigs that I know of. Wild pigs here are almost non-existant, I would be very boar(d) waiting to see one. Raccoons are A1 on the list.

Jerry

3. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Congrats!
    I'm glad your muncher was thwarted. I hope he doesn't get more interested in trying to dig further.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ohh ! We have lots of both animals although the hogs stay more in the wooded bottom areas. They make the ground look like it was tilled. Nothing remains when they get done eating and rooting around. We have corn every year and raccoons may eat a few ears but its never enough that we even miss it. Of course we grow a lot of it. That's what is so odd,, raccoons are opportunistic eaters. Try my trick,, get some stinky after shave or perfume and mix it with the brown stinky Listerine in a spray bottle add water and spray just before dark around the bulbs. It keeps the coyotes away from my watermelons may work for your bulbs. Should block the smell of where they are planted. But you have to do it every night till they decide to go elsewhere.

Advertisement
  5. Jerry Sullivan

If the wire cloth does not work I have this:

[​IMG]

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Jerry

6. Jerry Sullivan

KK, I would give the victory dance a try but it's a little cold for the attire.

Jerry

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ha ha ha....a Claymore mine.--Mate, make sure that you have it facing the correct way around. ;)

8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I have voles that are digging larger holes than a vole needs...I have seen them and almost stepped on one. They love to eat the bulbs here but I have way too many bulbs to dig them up and put them in cages. But it is a great idea. I won't poison the voles because if they die and my dogs get at them, they will die if the eat one of them. Traps are about the only way to get them but with snow covering things in the winter it is hard to keep them filled and that is their most destructive time...Good luck. At times I have just had to resort to quit planting certain plants because squirrels, etc. enjoy them too much.

9. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Nice Cage..I remember when I had to cage my bulbs from the squir-rels!!!