More Misc Birds.

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Sydney Smith, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen. The certainly do and I think they are very attractive birds - the feet that especially tickle me are those on the Coots. Took that pic and several others similar i n Holland a few winters ago - large Parkland Tree'd area with lake frozen over - both birds and people skating about on it. Perhaps send in a couple more pics of groups together ??. Syd.

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I wonder if we maybe passed each other at some time in Holland Syd. Ian and I used to go there every year to a town called Hoorn to visit friends. We used to tour around taking pictures of all the wildlife. The only thing we missed, as we only heard it but, sadly, didn't see it, was a Bittern.

3. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Great pic's Syd. Love the first one.

4. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen, Donna. Glad you liked the pics - have some more in the same situation/same time - some with folk freeding them. Will sort out a couple more. Have to admit something - all my able life I have liked to feed the birds on the water in the various parks visited- still do when poss.
    Ref Holland as stated my son and family lives there in Utrecht and on the visits over the years we have toured around a lot - love the country - love the people and always enjoyed visits there. Those pics were taken in a large open area with most beautiful old trees and this large central Lake - its called the Queen Wilhemina Park I think - very lovely area altogether for me. We may well have rubbed shoulders sometime without realising it. Syd.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

Advertisement
  5. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

I love Mallards. I used to have a couple as pets

6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Kitty. A very attractive bird - theres many so in the Duck family- I particularly like the Tufted Ducks. Will send a couple more pics of "crowds".. Syd.

7. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

sid 108.JPG sid 111.JPG sid 115.JPG sid 149.JPG sid 150-001.JPG sid 151.JPG sid 156.JPG A few more birds with cold feet.

8. Riccur

Riccur Seedling

Great pictures of birds in the backyard. It is amazing to see that many in one shot and also in that snow. Do you happen to be feeding the duck s to attract them all to that area?

In my backyard I get a lot of cardinals, which are always nice to see by the feeder in the morning.

9. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Riccur. That large Park was a regular daily visit whenever we went over to Holland to visit family - whatever time of year - it was very close to where they lived and in addition to the Lake there was a really good number of beautiful mature trees in great variety. Those pics were taken a few Xmas's ago and we were just walking round but as always with a camera handy. The lake was always well inhabited by the birds and all very tame - they needed little encouragement to come out onto the bank. Syd.

10. Riccur

Riccur Seedling

Great and fun pictures. I was impressed to see how close you both were getting to the ducks without them scooting away really fast.

11. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Riccur. Its a regular routine thing here in UK - almost anywhere where there is a River or Lake even in the middle of towns likely there will be waterbirds a plenty on it and they are well used to coming out onto the banks/paths to get a snack- this is from Swans right down to smaller Coots, Moorhens etc. It does happen (reported in the press with pics) that a mother Duck with several Ducklings will be walking along a Towns High St or crossing a busy main road in Town - and elsewhere. At our last property, nearest water a mile away, we had a number of Ducklings suddenly appear in our garden all alone. Had to call in the local "bird expert" to come and gather them up and take them back to water and hopefully mum. Syd.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  12. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

2007_09190014.JPG 2007_09190013.JPG 2008_01060167.JPG 2008_01060035 (Medium) (2).JPG 2007_09110026.JPG 2007_08270087.JPG Crows doing an "ariel dance" - Blue Tit lookiing at "property" - the ever popular bird bath - one in - one waiting and Greenfinches at feeder. Last two pics not so good but I thought worth sending.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    Frank likes this.
  13. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower