More Tomato Care

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jun 26, 2008.

1. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

I'm so glad.

Gardengater

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

hee hee hee... me too...I'd be lost without them.

3. thomas633957

thomas633957 New Seed

Bush varieties

Hi Sjoerd. One question I read one of your other posts that helprd me out a lot. In it you said for bush or determinate varieties you dont cut the leaves you just let them go right?

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I let the leaves go for a while, but eventually I do prune the plants when they are near their maximum height and have formed fruits of varying sizes. In fact I shall prune my bush toms this weekend.

What I do let go totally are the so-called "suckers". I feel that it's normal to do this with bush toms because that is their normal habitus and the suckers also produce flowers and relatively large fruits.
    If for some reason the bush tomatos do not produce fruits as large or as numerous as I would like, then some suckers and even some branches have to go.
    I use the bush tomatos primarily for making a tomato concentrate that I 'can' to use for sauces and soups; whereas, I use the toms on the cordon plant mostly for salads and just eating out of my hand. For this reason, size and amount are very important to me.

I hope that this clarifies what I do and my thinking on it; if not, I will be glad to speak further on this subject.

Advertisement