My Garden,..and Beyond.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Philip Nulty, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cheryl,
    i do believe its luck,..last summer i was doing some pruning on a rose bush that grows to 10 foot high,..one of the canes i cut off was very straight so i chopped off the thorns and all the leaves,..stuck it beside a rose cutting as a support,..despite no leaves or thorns the cane grew producing leaves,..as it was in a spot i could ill afford to have a rose bush i pulled it up,..then decided to stick it in a flower pot,..lo and behold its thriving,..now that is luck,..lol,..me and roses.

Taken just a few moments ago,..note the absence of thorns on the straight cane where as the two new canes have thorns.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]

================================================

Hi Cayuga Morning,
    my indoor Clivia has two lots of shoots coming up though just one can be seen in the shot below,..its in a non soil based loam,..i started it off on pearlite,..my other Clivia is outdoors but in a walk in hot house and also doing quite well,..how tall and wide do Clivia grow,..as i am thinking on a glass type Terrarium for them.

[​IMG]
    Clivia,..from seed. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

================================================

Hi Droopy,
    i am really pleased with the Pear Terrarium,..though its hard to find miniature plants,..just Ferns so far but they are interesting.

I imagine you are in a tad colder climate where you are as compared to me,..and so the scarcity of Hollyhocks there,..i overwintered some in an unheated walk in,..and some remained outdoors,..the bigger ones were in the walk in and are in flower the outdoor ones show no buds for blooming as yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Henry Johnson and Jewell like this.
  2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Philip--Your hollyhocks are very pretty. Very delicate, they look almost crepey, like poppies.

Congrats! That clivia is off to a healthy start! The clivia plant those seeds came from is presently about 2 feet tall and about 2 feet wide. It will grow no taller than that, but will get denser & denser. Yours should be ready to bloom after it has about 12 leaves or so. It then will develop more & more side shoots. I have read that you can remove the side plants (they are called 'pups') and plant them in their own pot. I have not done this as yet.

If you check out the clivia page on this site, the sidewise photo (a goof on my part) is the parent plant those seeds came from. It should give you an idea about size.

3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cayuga Morning,
    thank you for those details,..i couldn't find that information on the internet,..every other answer but height and width.

Crocosmia started blooming today.

[​IMG]

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I spend a lot of time beside the river,..either doggy walking,..fishing or boating,..swans are plentiful and its interesting to see them nesting,.. having young and bringing them up,..of course they then fly away,..but i watch out for them next time they arrive.

Video===The River.

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Philip those Hollyhocks are very neat looking and so pretty. Mine are only a single blossom. But I did plant some seed for double ones. I hope they look as beautiful as yours. All of your pic's are great and I love the videos. Thank you. :stew1:

6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Patti,
    delighted to get a response to the video,..nobody else spotted it as yet,.. and that you liked it and the other videos keeps me posting.

Those Hollyhocks are producing a huge amount of large blooms,..some others have yet to start blooming and i am very curious to see what colour they will be.

[​IMG]
    Hollyhock. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lupins. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    California Poppy and Oxalis debilis. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Geranium,'Claudio Rose Eye'. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Crocosmia. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Lily. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Delphinium consolida,'Larkspur'. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Delphinium. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Delphinium. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Verbascum nigrum. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

Henry Johnson and Cayuga Morning like this.
  7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

wow! what a variety of blooms you have right now. I kept scrolling... and scrolling and scrolling! :sete_005:

8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cheryl,
    i had a good internet connection and managed to post those pictures rapidly,..i have lots of plants blooming at present in fact its a good year all round.

That rose bush that fought to survive has found a new home as of yesterday,..along with a Curry Bush,..Purple Fennel,..Foxgloves,..several pots of Oxalis debilis,..several pots of Campanula,..a Pink Hydrangea,..an 18 inch high Phygelius,..Variegated Mint,..and three Lungworth plants.

I was unloading my groceries when a woman walking her dogs said hello,..we had a conversation about her Corgi dog and her Scottish Terrier,..i told her about mine,..she asked did i have a big garden to let them out,..i told her to go check the garden,..she was stunned at all the blooms and said she wished she had something as near as mine but she said she didn't know a lot about plants,..so i offered to give her as many plants as she could pack into her garden,..for free of course,..she had a day off work yesterday so i called with all the plants listed above,..weeded her yard,..planted the flowers and said i would call again today,..which i did and made her yard nice and tidy.

I told her about the problem i had looking for someplace to keep my boat trailer,..right off she said i could keep it in an extension to her yard,..i was stunned,..one good turn deserves another,..she will get many more plants from me.

[​IMG]
    Centaurea cyanus,'Cornflower'. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    One of those pretend Bees. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Lilium asiaticum,'Foxtrot'. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Day Lily,'Little Grapette'. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Sempervivum tectorum,'Hens and Chicks'. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

This was a plant i took indoors over winter,..i left all the others outside as usual,..this one grew taller and taller,..come spring it was over six inches high.

[​IMG]

Slowly it fell over and many small plants grew from this main plant,..but the top grew about hand size,..then flowered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Philip... I love stories like that! New friends made because of plants/flowers, doggies... and boats of course. I bet she's telling everyone about her new friend!
    And oh yeah... the next set of photos are just as beautiful as the others.
    :smt023

10. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Phillip,I'm very impressed with your garden. It has become impossible for me to grow hollyhocks here because of Jap beetles.Nothing says country garden like hollyhocks.
    Loved your story about new garden friend.
    I watched & loved one of your videos.
    sewNsow

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Nice pictures, Philip. I like the little grape day lily and I was thinking I might try to find one. Hope that new friend is a keeper, too. Always nice to have another one. You can never have too many good friends.

12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cheryl,
    i am still stunned,..after looking everywhere for the past year for a place to store the boat trailer i get one under such an unexpected circumstances,..it pays to be nice, :) .

Another bloom from that single Hens and Chicks plant.

[​IMG]

The height the plant reached indoors.

[​IMG]

The volunteer Poppies are still blooming each day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blooms on the Curry Bush.

[​IMG]

Three pictures taken very early this morning.

[​IMG]
    Fuchsia,'Aloha'. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Sedum. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    A very full garden. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

Henry Johnson and Cayuga Morning like this.
  13. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Thank you for viewing the videos,..it really pleases me to know people like them,..there are quite a lot in there now,.. :rolleyes: .

Yes i agree about the Hollyhocks,..Country Garden/Cottage Garden,..you always see them in a picture of those garden locations,..i am really pleased with what i see so far,..thankfully no rust on the leaves or insects of any kind,..fingers crossed,..it could be the home made spray i use.

[​IMG]

===================================================

14. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I loved every bloom.ISure wish you lived near me.I have lotsof room for your boat.My yard is a mess.I'm not able to keep up with all the weeds and grass.I have a name and phone # of a man that will fix my yard very resonable.I'm going to call him and see what he can do.
    Your yard is amazing.Its to hot here for lots of your bloms here.

15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Carolyn,
    its a cute little Lily,..i got it from a neighbor who couldn't look after them,..i think he used to forget to water them.

The new friend was full of surprises as you read,..apart from offering me the space for the boat trailer i was invited up to her house,..she had a sister home from England and another sister home from California,USA,..they had looked at my YouTube account and a Roses Video,..i had to laugh when they said they had difficulty knowing which glengarry23 was me as they said there were so many,..of course the so many were all me,..all 81 glengarry23 videos,..that got a laugh,..i imagine i will have a friend for quite a long spell.

[​IMG]