My Garden,..and Beyond.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Philip Nulty, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

'Everything is suddenly ready to come into bloom,..i have to check every morning to see whats new.' That's my favorite period in the garden!

Are the fruits of the mahonia japonica edible?

2. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cayuga Morning,..yes those fruits are edible raw or cooked though not much flesh on them,..a sort of acidy taste,..but look at the remainder of the tree/bush

Medicinal Rating: 2/5
    The leaf is febrifuge and is used as a tonic in cases of cancer[218]. The seed is febrifuge and tonic[218]. The roots and stems are antirheumatic, antitussive, depurative, expectorant and febrifuge[147, 218]. A decoction is used in the treatment of bone-breaking fevers, dizziness and tinnitus, backache, weak knees, dysentery and enteritis[147]. The root and root bark are best harvested in the autumn[213]. Berberine, universally present in rhizomes of Mahonia species, has marked antibacterial effects[218] and is used as a bitter tonic[213]. Since it is not appreciably absorbed by the body, it is used orally in the treatment of various enteric infections, especially bacterial dysentery[218]. It should not be used with Glycyrrhiza species (Liquorice) because this nullifies the effects of the berberine[218]. Berberine has also shown antitumour activity[218].

Antibacterial - Kills bacteria.
    Antirheumatic - Treats rheumatism.
    Antitumor - Preventing, or effective against, tumors, it is used in the treatment of cancer. Probably synonymous with Cytotoxic.
    Antitussive - Prevents or relieves coughing.
    Cancer - Used in the treatment of cancer.
    Depurative - Eliminates toxins and purifies the system, especially the blood.
    Expectorant - Clears phlegm from the chest by inducing coughing.
    Febrifuge - Reduces fevers.
    Tonic - Improves general health. Slower acting than a stimulant, it brings steady improvement.

3. Cayuga Morning

Hmm....I don't know if I would take a bit of it every day prophylactically, or avoid it like the plague! Have you taken it?

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cayuga Morning,..its something i would certainly try but for the effort of harvesting and mixing,..i have used Aloe Vera plants for cuts and so forth,..and of course Lavender and any easy to use plants in the garden.

Advertisement
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Sorry i deleted the YouTube video as it was nothing like the video i uploaded to YouTube,..colour was wrong after upload.

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Wow... I bet that's super beautiful in real life.

8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cheryl,..its worth sitting down with a mug of tea to take it all in,..the video i uploaded to YouTube is nothing like what you see,..trying to get them to adjust their settings,..i know red is a difficult colour but there was no blur on upload :scheming: .

9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

You have invested a LOT of time in your garden and it is beautiful!!! I was sorting through photos and was proud of myself for the changes I've made to our little piece of dirt :) Isn't it amazing what a little seed or cutting can do? :-o

10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Deanna,..its great when you can look back at photographs of the garden and compare it to now,..in fact i have often wondered what happened to certain flowers i see in the past photographs but not now.

Oh i deleted the video i just uploaded to YouTube and which i had posted here,..then tried uploading again to YouTube but the processing produced a video that was off colour and distorted so i again deleted it,..just now i am at loggerheads with YouTube,..i was disappointed with my last four video uploads,..the pictures jump and show two pictures at the same time,..mmmm keeping my cool though :-x

11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

12. Cayuga Morning

Whoa! What a beautiful garden. It was chock-a-block full of spring bloomers! Can you tell me if that have summer blooms as well?

13. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cayuga Morning,..the blooms you see in that video were captured yesterday,..we are into our 8th day of summer here,..you will notice there are signs of the Daffodils that the garden had blooming up to lately,..but those tulips brighten up the place.

14. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

15. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I swear your garden stays beautiful year 'round!
    Hurry up roses :stew1: