My jungle

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Cayuga Morning, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

Sounds interesting, but even though non-toxic would it be safe for pets do you think?

2. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

I just love your whole garden.The shed looks octagon in shape. Very nice.I have the hosta in question. Have been trying to find name.It came to me from friend,just 1 leaf & few roots.Hope someone can name it.
    sewNsow

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Ggirl: I am guessing it would be okay for pets, as humans handle it when cleaning their pool filters. I just googled it and there was some discussion about whether is it ok to give to pets orally(?!It didn't way what for). I suppose you could ask your vet. Do your pets dig in your garden?

Thanks Sewnsow! Yes if you find out the name of that hosta, I would be interested. And if I find out the name, I'll let you know, how is that? I have divided it several times now (early spring) and all the divisions have done well.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cayuga, I use organic DE(not the pool filter grade) for the cats, chickens, me and the garden. It is safe for the animals and it will not hurt you or them, but you shouldn't inhale the dust continually. Occasionally probably won't hurt you though unless you have asthma. It is mined from ocean deposits of diatoms. I read that it can be used as a daily maintenance for internal/external parasites for livestock and pets (and people, too). I am not sure what the pool grade DE is or why it is different, but the red lake brand or organic is what is normally used for this purpose.

Advertisement
  5. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I also love the fox-glove. Never came back for me. Been trying to tame my jungle. After I tripped on HUGE rock.

6. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

I have a cat and a 9 month old retriever puppy who unfortunately both tend to dig the garden :-x This really gets me down as I have been able to stop my previous puppies from digging but this one is a bit stubborn. Never mind, I expect I will get there in the end. Trouble is, being a retriever he is a big boy even though only young yet.

Carolyn...useful information, thank you.

7. oubee

oubee In Flower

The cutely overloaded garden gives it a pristine aura of wildness. Love the way you let your plants' roots spread, propagate & find their way as suits them!

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I visited my friend today, and the Hosta she's got is the Hosta montana 'Aureomarginata'. It looks very much like yours, please look it up and see for yourself. :D

9. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Jungle? oh no, definitely not! It's heaven, I could daydream for hours looking at your pictures!

10. Cayuga Morning

Thank you Droops! I will indeed look it up.

Cris--Thanks so much! I do enjoy taking a tour every morning before work and every evening after work. It is rejuvenating.

11. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

looks like what we call here a varigaited hosta but don't know the proper name for it

12. Cayuga Morning

Droop: I googled Hosta montana 'Aureomarginata' and i believe you are right, that is my hosta! Thank you so much. I have enjoyed this hosta for its color, but also for its form. Its leaves are more erect, and for that reason it makes a statement in the garden.

SewNsow & Donna- I think Droopy is correct, it is Hosta montana 'Aureomarginata'. Check it out SewNsow & let me know if that is the one you have.

Droopy likes this.
  13. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Gal said she had some foxglove for me. She can't garden anymore. But after seeing yours-thought try to give them a good home. But I do have 1-90# Golden lab. I mist critter control-doesn't go near the flower beds.

14. Cayuga Morning

Koszta kid--the nice thing about foxglove is that once you have them, you always have them. At least that is the way it is in New England. Provided that you let at least some of the flowering stalks go to seed, you will have an unending supply of future floxglove babies.

15. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

That's wonderful, CM, glad to be of assistance. :D I need to get me one of those, I just haven't gotten round to it yet. :D

koszta kid, good luck with getting some foxgloves. Are they pink ones? They come in so many lovely colours. :D