My Roses.

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by MIKE ALLEN, Apr 7, 2023.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I bet they will be beautiful.

I've always liked Peace. Also Mr. Lincoln and Queen Elizabeth.

Pacnorwest, Logan and MIKE ALLEN like this.
  2. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

They are beautiful roses Mike.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  3. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

Added five more roses to my collection.
    Proper Job. Sandringham. Henri Mattise. English Miss. Lady Marmalade.
    All bare roots from Cottage Memories.
    Very cold in the garden and misty. Had phone call from hospital, CT scan all clear, so now awaiting heart surgery.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  4. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Best wishes and hopes for your heart surgery, Mike :fingerscrossed:

I didn't know any of those roses! So I did searches. I like "Proper Job" a lot! They are all beautiful. They will reward you with lots of enjoyment.

Are your roses in containers or in the ground? I'm new to container method, but so far, so good.

MIKE ALLEN and Pacnorwest like this.

Advertisement
  5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Hope that your heart surgery goes well. Can i ask what are you having done for your heart?

Pacnorwest likes this.
  6. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

Logan. Many thanks for your concern. Actually today's procedure has greatly simplified matters. In my case. I was diagnosed with, Severe Aortic Stenosis, a couple of years ago. The heart valve has gradually closed, restricting the blood flow to it now being almost closed. For some reason. I have NO symptoms. So it has been like walking on egg shells. Don't do this. Be careful of this that and the other. The artificial valve is inserted via entry to the Femoral artery in the groin. The valve has an estimated life of 10-20 yrs. I will be 84 on 28th of this month. So, provided my general health holds out....time to order more roses.

Logan likes this.
  7. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

Hi Dan.
    Yes most of my roses are now containerised. Mainly due to the local cat population as mentioned before. My garden is small, but better than nothing. I began by planting a memorial garden to Valerie. Sadly over £150.00 pounds worth of roses were damaged or destroyed by cats and their POO etc, so I plumped for container growing.
    Yes this form of growing tends to add more work. Weeding and feeding each pot. Hopefully the 15Ltr. pot will contain the roots for at least five years, after which perhaps some root pruning etc. In addition to container growing. OK. Although I have grown roses for more than sixty years, I realise the years have crept up on me. My love for roses and my memories of my Valerie. I would like my daughters to take the roses, when the time comes, and care for them. I live in council social housing and can see all around me, new tenants have little time for gardening.

Logan likes this.
  8. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thanks for letting me know, it will go well for you. It's just the waiting for the day now, 84 is a good age.

9. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Again wishing the best for you Mike.

When you are able and feeling like it, I hope you will let us know how you feel. Meanwhile, sending you thoughts and well wishes and virtual roses.

Logan likes this.
  10. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

How are you doing, Mike? I hope you are well!

You inspired me to look a lot more at roses. I finally ordered four bare root English Rose varieties, scheduled to ship next month -

Darcey Bussell
    Silas Marner
    Bring Me Sunshine
    Boscobel

Fragrance and size were factors in these choices. Two have the myrrh scent, one has old rose scent, and one is fruity.

They will be in containers in my vegetable garden. If I want to move them, I have a dolly.

Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  11. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

Thanks again Dan for your comments.
    No surgery yet. I am not looking forward to it, as it's done under a local anaesthetic and can take one to two hours.
    I'm really pleased you are getting into rose growing. Container growing does entail perhaps more care and attention but, the containers can always be re-sited.

Logan and Daniel W like this.
  12. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

WOW! Where has the time gone. No I haven't popped me clogs yet. Lifestyle, I feel OK but everything seems to be taking longer. I am getting fed up with all the do's and don'ts. It's like walking on egg shells. Mind you. I did get out the other day and walk to the post box. Just made it back..........knackered. I'm still waiting for heart valve op. Never mind eh!
    Sadly, or perhaps not. I didn't get all my rose pruning done. Lots of black spot on the remaining old foliage...dealing with that. Several roses are now blooming, so things can't be that bad. Hey Tetters me old friend. I've bought more roses.

Take care everyone.
    Mike.

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Mike so nice to hear from you and update on how your doin. I hoping when it finally stops raining your roses will be happier with daily sunshine while poppin lots of blooms.
    Sending blessings your way.

Logan likes this.
  14. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Hi Mike, glad to hear that you're still with us, i hope that you have the op soon.
    Take care.

Pacnorwest likes this.