Narcissistic Tendencies

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Ahhh yes. Those veggie patches can be a lot of work. At least mine are this year. My dear hubby is not an avid gardner. He just plants stuff and let whatever happens happen. :eek: So now this year I am digging up all the weeds and quack grass that had invaded the beds from last year. I will also be buying a LOT of vinegar and spraying, spraying, spraying to keep things under control. After all that I'll need a vacation.
    Plus my dear hubby was the one that planted the veggie garden last year and now we can not find the extra seed that was in a coffee container. OH bother. I hate to have to buy more seed. Because you know what will happen when we do. Voila, the next day the seeds will mysteriously appear. o_O

Philip Nulty and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, 2T--it sounds like you have a plan.
    I know how frustrating it can be to misplace seeds from the previous season. I was so bad that now I have an old cigar box that I picked up somewhere and my flower seeds go in there. There is also a veggie seed box. These boxes of segregated seeds have their special place in a coat closet that I use daily---this so that I shall never forget where the seeds are. So far it works perfectly.

The thing about gardening is that one must think up tricks to make gardening life less frustrating so that the enjoyment factor is not "water by the wine" experience. Know what I mean.

Philip Nulty and Tooty2shoes like this.
  3. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yes so true Sj. My Mom and I chuckle about putting things in a safe place so we remember where they are. Often not being able to remember that safe place. You have a great method for keeping track of your seeds. I think I will get some cheap plastic recipe containers and label them for the different seeds. The hunt continues for those missing seeds.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Heh, heh, heh....well, good luck with finding those seeds. It is a pity that they are misplaces, but a little funny at the same time.
    Good luck with your plan for the seeds.

Advertisement
  5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

The hunt continues. o_O:suspicious::whistling::dislike::fingerscrossed::rolleyes:

6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    T2S, so love seeing your daffs. I seemed to have missed most of mine. I am getting to enjoy the hyathyins and are they ever plentiful.

7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Oh my poor hyacinths. I think they are on their last legs so to speak. Over the last several years the flowers have gotten smaller and smaller. I think maybe I should move them to a more sunny location. I love the look and smell of them.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a shame, 2T. I move mine too, but they just don't do it all that well. Perhaps we are too cold and wet here.

Tooty2shoes and Philip Nulty like this.
  9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

When I read this post it reminded me of my holiday in England last spring. It is so wonderful to see daff popping out in the garden without having to plant them. When we first arrived there was no sign of any kind of flowers but when spring comes they just spring out of the ground. It was a wonderful and priceless experience.

Tooty2shoes, Philip Nulty and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

KK--it was nice to hear that the pics here brought back such good memories from your visit.

11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Thank you SJ & 2T for all your photos of daffodils & spring flowers. I love this season when everything is just "waking up"

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes, I like it as well. When things get going, it is really superb. I wonder why you have so much trouble with your grape hyacinths though. Do you have a variety of daffs there in your garden?

I got some daff bulbs at a gardening expo that I went to this winter and so planted them late. I see now that they are coming up and may bloom with the tulips in a bit.

13. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sjoerd, I don't know about the grape hyacinths....I could try them in a different spot. I have tried growing them in what I think of as my 'spring bed'. Obviously there is something 'off' about the location or about my particular microclimate. I do have good luck with squill (self sow), daffodils, corydalis, alliums, blood root, dog toothed violets etc.!! I have a new bed on a slope along my road that I am gradually filling with daffodils!

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It has me scratching my head, because like
    Palustris--mine self seed like mad...to the point of invasiveness. I also got rid of hands-full of them this spring. I put them over on the slope of the train trestle across the canal from me. Now, if they come up, I can enjoy them form a distance.

Yes, you could try a different location and perhaps work the ground to make it loose and add some compost. It might help.

They like moist ground that not very rich, and is of a neutral pH to a bit limey (chalky). A bit of shade is not a bad thing.
    These are conditions that you can create yourself. I believe that it is worth a try.

I shall post this over on your thread as well. Oké?

15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Sjoerd and 2T i loved all those pictures,..great selection of blooms:like:

Tooty2shoes likes this.