Never Before Seen Weather, (solar panels destroyed)!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by S-H, Jul 18, 2023.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

They seem to be just the perfect thing for emergency power. Specially in a survival situation, (as they store away in a small volume). Also ideal to have on cars and boats. Another advantage is that in a hailstorm, they can be quickly removed.

However as for being a dependable source of regular power - I'm a bit sceptical... As I'll worry about them getting scratched, (as they aren't scratch proof tempered glass like conventional solar panels).

But obviously, these have their own place. I remember one which was exactly like this, (flexible). But in a much smaller size, for hikers and campers. As well as an essential aid in a disaster situation, as such flexible small panels could easily charge up a smartphone and other small devices. So yes, absolutely, these flexible panels indeed have their own place.

But as a substitute for regular solar panels? I don't know... As solar panels need to be placed at a correct angle to face the sun, for maximum power outside. However these will always be flopping around. And if we have to stick them onto a stiff surface with adhesive tape, then what's the point of having them flexible in the first place???

Also, regular solar panels can easily withstand a hailstorm in which hails are of an inch in size or under. But these flexible ones I fear will not prove to be so tough... It was only the big monster size hails which were brought on by a freak storm, (the size of tennis balls) - Which destroyed the solar panels. Otherwise conventional solar panels are pretty resilient by design.

:snicker:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    Zigs likes this.
  2. AlexFinn

AlexFinn New Seed

It's frustrating when things don't work as expected, especially when you're relying on solar power. Have you tried reaching out to Tactacam support? Sometimes they can offer insights or troubleshooting steps that aren't in the manual. Also, regarding the solar panel reading 90%, it could be a glitch in the system rather than the panel not working. Solar panels can be finicky, but they're usually pretty reliable once installed correctly. If you're up for it, maybe try a reset or a firmware update if available. Lastly, if all else fails, perhaps consulting with solar panel installers ireland could shed some light on the issue. They might have encountered similar situations and could offer some specialized advice.

Last edited: May 7, 2024
  3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Never heard of anything called Tactacam Support. We don't have any such thing here in my part of the world... I just go by whatever I learned during my university days while I was studying engineering and other technical stuff, (and today I just keep myself up to date with all the latest advancements in my field).