New Chicken House At Waretropland

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by waretrop, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I'm lost for words, Ware. I am quite impressed with your handiwork there. So well thought out and cleverly made. I like the paint job as well.

I was looking at that pic 5th one down from the top...and was wondering how you would use it as it looks like quite a drop-off at the end of the ramp. How does that work?

The feeding and watering set-up is looks functional. Yep,--you have outdone yourself on this one, miss.

2. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh you got this wrong.....I planned it and said it and he did it...I did think about it for years. Each step of the way. He is the best egg in the world.

The last step on the ramp just happened. That I will tweak later..

The perches also have to get tweaked. Sometimes things just don't turn out as we planned but we can do something about it... :D

3. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Looks good. Dh was getting his deicer for his homing pigeons. And getting some insulation. They can not peck apart.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I had it good Ware--I figured that you guys did this project together.
    You had a good inception and he did the heavy work....it is a good example teamwork.

It all looks so impressive. I wish that I could have chooks.

Advertisement
  5. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Great post Barb,great chicken coop and great idea. The girls sure look happy.

6. waretrop

Well, We finally fixed the water barrel problem. It was all in the washers. Got the heater for one and will put it in tomorrow morning.

They have been drinking about 30 gallons every 5 days. I would like to add a 50 gallon barrel like the first, with heater. That way we will have 80 gallons that will last a good week.

Next is the cone to be added to the lids of the food and water barrels. They make such a mess sitting on the lids.

So hear is my question. The fenced in area was all grass and now is all muck. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with this problem? I go slipping and sliding all over the place.

I have had to change their bedding in the house every 7 days. I think I will double what I have been using from now on. I have a little rake to keep it lightened up every day. It gets matted down and isn't worth much after the second day yet the stuff under it is fresh.

So far I am very pleased with the outcome. Surprisingly, so is the waretropland hubby.......LOL

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Duckboards perhaps? I will take a picture of mine tomorrow.

Jerry

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Barb, I have the same problem and I bought a pair of ice trax for my shoes. The ones I bought have screw heads in them... not the coil wired ones. They are pretty easy to spray off with the water hose as soon as I leave the coop yard. Otherwise it is scrape the yard everytime I am out there, which is not on my list of work.

9. waretrop

Jerry, Your idea is wonderful but when the chickens do their business on them they also become slippery Just like the ramps.

carolyn, I was going to use mine for the chickens last year but the thought of "stuff" building up on them day after day was revolting. I may be able to stop at the greenhouse on the way back to the house and hose them off. I have 3 pair and will fit on my chicken boots.

I would like to soak up the corral area so it wasn't so yukky.....Guess there is no cure for that except for hay or straw. That I would like to keep away from.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yep... the yucky stuff. I would rather wash off my shoes everytime I go in there than wash my clothes because I slipped on the slope with all that yucky stuff. Once it freezes it isn't so bad, but I still need the trax because the snow gets packed and slippery. Then I don't need to wash them off.

You do want to stay away from the straw. that will just pack down once it is wet and pine shavings get expensive.so, I think the trax are the most economical choice unless you want to scrape the yard every time it gets wet. I always appreciate a good hard rain.

11. waretrop

I have to admit that I have slipped and fallen in "that stuff". It was not a fun day......It even was in my hair.....YUK.

I am using pine in the hen house and, yes, expensive. I am able to keep it loosened up every day so the clean chips come to the top. Otherwise it just gets soiled on the top level and packs down. When I cleaned it, All the underneath chips were clean.

12. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I'm very impressed with your chicken digs Barb! Such well taken care of chickens!