New Hampshire Trees

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by film495, Apr 27, 2013.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

The bark does not look like a cottonwood or the sycamore... It appears much more furrowed than the sycamore should be. Sycamores have flaking, peeling bark. And I have plenty of cottonwoods here and mine are brown clear to the top.

2. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

As the crow flies, we share the same 'backyard', you will find members of the oak family would be scattered about the area.

This oak is outside my back door:
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden ) Oaks and maples now dominate many New England woods as farm fields of the 18 and 1900's surrendered their dominion of the land and the fields reverted back, most in the usual order. Spring emergence will sort out the trees and depending on the season, satellite pictures will provide an indication of sunlight penetration. You should then be able to layout your garden according to the available sunlight.

Jerry

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi all,

FYI: Oaks are marcescent, which means they hold their leaves well into the winter, long past when the leaves have withered & other trees have shed theirs. If your trees are oaks, you would have seen some of these marcescent leaves still on the branches well past fall. You would also have a lot of brown oak leaves in the leaf litter.

Frank likes this.
  4. film495

film495 Seedling

we have a small oak about 12 feet tall in the front yard that kept its leaves all winter like I know a beech will do, but thought it was funny. now I know it is a marcescent.

technically, those two trees are just on my neighbors property. they are closer to my house, so I took an interest in what all the really tall trees were. I'll take a look at them again when the leaves come out, if they are fluttering aspen, it is easy to tell by the leaves.

Advertisement
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Good luck 495. I think it is cool that you want to identify what is growing around you.