New Library Expansion Update

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Dan the Librarian, Jun 29, 2007.

1. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

They're really moving on with the work now!! Looks so good with the painted walls and carpet. :D

2. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

It all really looks great, Dan. This close to finishing I bet everyone is getting excited about using the room. Wannabe

3. Dan the Librarian

Dan the Librarian Seedling

Here's a link to the latest picture...

Almost Done

4. eileen

They've even got the exit sign in and working!!! Can't wait for the tables and chairs to arrive!!! :-D

Advertisement
  5. Dan the Librarian

Dan the Librarian Seedling

It'll still be pretty close to a month before we get the final inspection from the county. Until then we can't use the room.

6. eileen

Bummer!!! Still it'll give everything a chance to 'settle in' and any problems to come to light. Let's hope the county give a favourable report after their inspection.

7. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Gosh Dan, I can see from the room in front that y'all really need some extra space. Enjoy after all of the hard work of moving is done. Thanks for the updates.

8. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

Dan is your room all done and ready to use now?If you have already told us I missed it somewhere. Wannabe

9. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Big holdup! They can't use the room until the contractor builds a retaining wall along between the room and the lot next door. Some kind of code. Since the retaining wall wasn't included in the original estimate and contract it had to be sent for bids and voted on and who knows when it will get done. So, the room sets there waiting. They cannot use it until the final inspection which includes the retaining wall. dooley

10. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

Thanks for the reply. I have been wondering about it. Doesn't it seem like things seem to be going so well, then a big block. I hope things get straightened out soon. Wannabe

11. eileen

Oh dear and I was hoping that everything was up and running by now. :( Just when everything was going so well too. Fingers crossed it won't be too long until the wall is build and passes inspection.

12. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Oh Dan, this looks wonderful! I can't wait to see a pic of it all full of books and computers and shelves... I'm having to "shrink" my private school library by selling off the elementary non-fiction this year and it is so painful to let my babies go - I would love to expand instead! :-D

We just got a new library out here, they were going to try to build but it cost so much they ended up taking over an office building and remodeling it. It came out beautifully inside in spite of the 'office' look exterior. Are you going to be doing any murals or other fun things to the walls?

Rotten thing, the retaining wall code - here's hoping it is resolved for all of you soon!

13. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

What is the latest update on the new library extention, Dan? Has the wall been built yet? Are we waiting for the inspection? Dooley said she is going to be doing some work with the children, do you have room to squeeze her in? I had a lot of questions, do you have a lot of answers? Wannabe

14. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Can I answer for Dan? It took until the beginning of October for them to get the retaining wall built. Then, the inspector came and said, "Oh, you have to have a sidewalk and guardrail from the back door around to the parking lot in front." Now, they had been told that because of the square footage that they only needed the handicap exit in the front of the building. That is even what the code book says but the building inspector has the last say. The county library manager even went to the county supervisor but the building inspector has final say. Everyone figures that with the slump in building he doesn't have enough to do. So, the library board has to put out bids for the sidewalk and railing. Alternately they put out bids to have a handicap door put in the side of the room near the driveway so it won't cost so much for the sidewalk. The county library manager is trying to get the money from the county fund because it comes under the disability act. So, again, the room is sitting there because a building inspector didn't have anything to do. dooley

15. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

You know we would be so much better off if there weren't so many people who want to cause problems. I can't believe that would hold up the use of the room? As long as it is in progress I would think that would be enough. Oh well maybe some day they will get to use it. Thanks for the answer. Wannabe