Norwegian in New York

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Anemone, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Anemone

Anemone New Seed

Hehe, well, actually I knew about you, I checked out the map of the members locations before I joined :D

2. Anemone

Anemone New Seed

I don't know where you live, but I hope it's far from me ;)

I'm not used to having poisonous animals around, except for an occasional common viper. We are pretty safe like that in Norway.

As far as I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong) there aren't any poisonous snakes or spiders in New York either. I have a tendency to sneak up on whatever is moving in the garden to take pictures, not a very good idea if it's dangerous.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Anemone's Garden )

Vipera berus, the common European viper

3. Anemone

Anemone New Seed

Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes!

It's a beautiful day in New York today, I'm gonna spend it digging up more area for my vegetable garden.

I hope everyone has a great garden day!

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Anemone's Garden )

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Hey, that's cheating! :D I should correct myself. I'm a fellow countrywoman, not man. I just wasn't thinking straight after a long day playing in the dirt.

Advertisement
  5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I am not sure about New York. Technically, perhaps not. But people in the city collect exotic pets and when they get too big turn them loose down the sewer drains, like baby gators and snakes. You couldn't get me down there. Missouri is about 1500 miles from NYC, I think. I know it is 1100 from eastern Pennsylvania where I am from. I do not like snakes at all; I only tolerate the harmless ones because they do eat a lot of rodents and chase away or kill the poisonous ones. Most summers I have to kill about 3 or 4 copperheads in my yard in self defense. I was bitten once, and spent the weekend in the hospital very sick, and the bill was over $23K.

If you are in the city, you shouldnt be meeting any snakes, I would hope. But I have never visited the parks there, so maybe I am wrong? If you must sneak up on a snake, stay at a safe distance for your picture taking. You can get field guides in book form or go online to learn the different species. I had to when my kids were growing up since they were so interested in all kinds of animals and reptiles. That was self defense also. And I did not check their pockets for doing laundry because of what might be in them. :sete_079: