Oké--Now Its My Turn

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Miss Liberty

Miss Liberty Seedling

I showed the pictures to my husband and he's started thinking about next year's plantings.

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks CHOCOLATE--I had no idea that these Kerkauer Kipfler spuds were called "Dutch Fir Apples" there. I wonder why. They do have a very good flavour (even a bit unique). This spud is a really good all-round one. Ypou can indeed use it in so many ways.

MISS LIBERTY--that is good to hear. I wonder what sort of potatos he would like to have.

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh those are nice looking spuds,Sjoerd. Enjoy every bite.

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I kept up with this topic since yesterday. And what did I HAVE to have with dinner AGAIN tonight? Potatoes!
    Yuummmmmmy baked potato with lots of butter, chives, cheese and a sprinkling of sea salt and black pepper. Just wish I had sour cream to go on top! There's always tomorrow... right?
    :-D

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks CAROLYN--I DO enjoy every bite. I literally take and contemplate each individual bite, to savour the flavour. I do this because I so enjoy spuds, but also to make a mental note of the various qualities that each different potato has. This mental critique I shall use when thinking about what to order next year.

Ahhh....CHERYL--I am eating potatoes every day now, and harvesting more to make room for planting green manure.
    That baked potato that you put away with all the trimmin's sounded sooooo delish! :p

6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Me too, Carolyn! I had some steamed tiny red potatoes with butter and parsley for a midnight snack last night because of Sjoerd's talk about taters.... They were tasty too, Sjoerd!

Maybe I'll have some more for breakfast too, lol!

7. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

wow sjoerd! great pics of your spuds! they looks so good. we're still a ways away from digging ours yet.

i'm faamiliar with the Rattes. we grew those here last couple of years. they're a fingerling, right? nice flavor and keeping qualities. am going to have to see if i can find some of your varieties i haven't heard of before. i love trying new things!

i have one question tho. don't you 'cure' your potatoes before eating? i usually set ours out on the porch for a few days...or is that just to lengthen their keep?

8. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Hahahahah Sjoerd, you old potato tease you. :) I have finished digging my row of Kestrel spuds, a beautiful potato with purple eyes, good for boiling, roasting and chipping, and still have a bucket full, so it will be another week or 2 before I start digging my International Kidney. I am trying to only lift as I want them so they don't go green on me as we don't eat spuds at every meal. Also, since we had such a very dry spring, I am hoping that the rain we have had lately will have boosted the harvest. You are a cheeky devil Sjoerd, showing off. ;)

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I'll bet your red potatos were good too, Daisy. I have grown some in the past. I won't ask you which ones you had-- chuckle.

Glad you liked the looks of my spuds, BUNKIE--You are right about the 'Ratte's, they are indeed a fingerling. There are several types, and so far, I have liked the flavour of them all.

About curing: Yes, usually I do let them "cure" for two or three days as a rule, but not 100% of the time, sometimes I just want to eat them so badly that I eat them the same day that I lift them. Sometimes it can result in a light case of diarrhea, but usually not.
    Sometimes I let them dry out out in the field, and sometimes I set them in the shade for a few hours before I take them home.

Hee hee hee....EJ-- Well every dog has his day, as the old saying goes. Arf-arf.
    Lifting spuds brings out the cheek in me for some reason.
    I have been lifting just a plant at the time until yesterday, then I lifted a big square of the Linzers so that I could plant some green manure (the last of the buckwheat). I shall be in spuds for awhile now. Ach, that's Oké because the spuds that are in the ground are easier to keep and they may even keep getting larger, eh?
    You know the International Kidneys that I have are supposed to the the earliest (on paper) of the ones that I have. With the paper that came with the spuds, it said that they were earlies. One would think that they should be the first ones out, but the other types that I am growing are further along--in spite of the fact that they were planted later. Figure that one out!

Heh heh heh...I thought you would like seeing the spuds. Are you already making plans for the harvest shows yet? Most of my stuff seems to be lagging a bit, but when I check in my little black book, I see that things are 2-3 weeks earlier than last year. Hmmmm.

10. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I am digging mine as I need them, but blight is about so I will have to keep an eye on them.

The summer show has been and gone, and we didn't take part. Daughter number one was in Paris with the school, and we had other commitments, and to be honest, a lot of the produce had been and gone and the second or third plantings weren't really ready. My raspberries are having a funny turn as we have finished the first harvest, and normally that would be that, but I have a second lot of berries formed and they just need the sun to shine to ripen them, and there is also a mass of flowers, so I should get another harvest in about a month. I am NOT complaining as rasps are my most fave berry of all. :)

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh, I see...well, too bad in a way, but perhaps you will do a show in august.
    I have to say, the pics that I have seen of your rasps are very delish-looking.

Rain. It is raining too much now over here (but we are not caught up on out rainfall yet according to the meteorologic chaps).