Planting Beans correctly ........

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by KK Ng, Sep 28, 2010.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

:D Bean murder!!! Marlingardener thanks for the update explanation.

[​IMG]
    Murderers ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    If there is any bean murdering, then these little rascals are responsible!! I checked all the leaves and removed all those that are affected. I hope I got them all!!

[​IMG]
    Pole Beans ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    The poles beans are developing well and I guess I should be able to harvest them in a couple of days time.

[​IMG]
    A Good Harvest ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    Today's harvest include bush beans ...... err... can we call these pole beans, French beans or snap beans or just beans?? Here we call them French beans and if I did not take up gardening, I will never know that these beans grow on bushes too!!! :oops:

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Just look at those little devils! Well, I hope that you got them all. There are so many challenges when gardening, aren't there.
    I do checks on my beans for those from time to time. I just kneel and look up on a sunny day. It saves time rather than standiung and turning every leaf over one at the time.

That last foto shows a reasonable harvest, doesn't it. Way to go, mate!
    You gathered a bit of everything.

Well done.

3. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Sojerd, I caught a couple of those little devils today but there were beans to harvest. I just sat on the ground and look up admiring those beans on the vines and looking for those little varmints at the same time :D

4. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Today at lunch I saw a very familiar veggie as one of the dish, yes it is French beans lightly fried with chopped garlic. It is nice, sweet and crunchy which I thought Becky had bought them from the market. Only after finishing the beans I ask her "Those beans were really good, where do you buy them from?" She replied "Oh, you planted them!" Well...err... sorry no photos but I really did enjoy them :D I'll try to get some photos posted on the next lot if my mouth don't get at them first!! :D

I had been harvesting them a couple at a time when I feel they were matured enough and Becky decided that it was enough for the table so .... the rest is history.

I guess I had achieved what I set to do and am thankful for all of your support especially Sojerd, a VERY BIG THANK YOU to you for assisting me in achieving my goals. Marlingardener, thanks for those tips, I will be cutting back on those bush beans soon.

Frank likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well KK--What a proud guy you are! You have done really well with your beans haven't you. Do you plan to grow them again?

I'll bet that your daughter was very happy to cook those for you. Did she like the taste of the beans as well?

You are most certainly welcome KK--however you did all the work and 'farming' yourself....and the slug removal, not to forget. Without your intervention, you may not have had any beans to eat at all.

6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Sojerd, beans will definately be a regular now :)

My daughter recently got a job and I hardly get to see her so she did not have the chance to cook them or even to taste them, I ate most of it :D

Just harvested a handful today and in a couple of more days I think there will be enough for another meal :-D

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I see how it went with the beans, KK---you are a wise one to manage to get to eat all those beans yourself. Are you pleased with the flavour of this latest batch of beans?
    How do you eat them, BTW?

8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

:D :D :D Yes I am very please with the flavour and texture but unsatisfied with the shape of the pole beans, they are like guppies in shape so I had nicknamed them as guppy beans :D I'll take a photo tomorrow.

Will let you know when we eat the latest batch cause they are still in the fridge. With Becky's sis around, we had been eating out most of the time....you know.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Eating out most of the time.....You know how to live! hahaha.
    No, I know that lots of Malaysians eat out frequently there. I wish that I could remember just ONE restaurant that I ate at when I was in Malacca.

Those beans being the shape of a guppy--now there's a new one for me. I have never heard of such. I expected them tho be long and straight.

I am eagerly awaiting your next group of pics.

10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I am so sorry but I am not able to post tyhe pics of the guppy beans :( I did took the pics also the strawberries and the bay leaves. When I tried to download the pics, "Memory Error" was displayed. According to the internet, this is a design defect of my camera brand and model. All the pics were lost and I had to perform a surgery.

[​IMG]
    My very old camera. ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

This is not the first time and it will happen again after a certain number of shots. It is really old camera ...sigh!!!

Sorry Sojerd ... please wait another day :D
    Eating out is great once in a while but I much prefer eating in because it is not good for my waistline!!! :D

11. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Oh dear
    What a pity about the camera. AT least you can still perform some surgery. You are quite the IT repair man.
    I have a (I should say HAD)a Canon 450 EOS that was capable to capturing gorgeous photos, unfortunately a family member borrowed it and did not handle it carefully enough. ANd instead of giving it back to me to get it fixed, threw it away. Can you believe it? :(
    Hehehe I also watch my waistline like a hawk.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a shame about your camera...did the camera survive the operation? :)
    I am very patient--
    chuckle--Eating out is not good for your waistline? Uh-oh!. Better be careful then I suppose...
    Here's wishing you strength.

13. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Palm Tree, how could he/she do that!!! That is a real beautiful camera why?? WHY?? My sympathy are all with you.
    My waist line started to grow and grow and grow when I stopped smoking about 5 years ago ..... now my waist line is EEEeeeeee!!!!! :D

Sojerd thanks for your patience, the camera is working again :-D hmmm ..... wonder how much longer ...
    Waistline?? I don't think I have the strenght to resist good food :D

Palm Tree, Sojerd actually my waistline and weight had more or less stablisied and I really do love good food. I think a best part in life is eating ya!!! hehehe :D

OK back to beans.

[​IMG]
    Regular ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    I guess this is how a regular French bean would look like.

[​IMG]
    Guppy Beans ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    Use a little of your imagination and think of a female guppy. :D

[​IMG]
    Expiring plant ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    Looks like the plant is expiring. I had cut back on the bush beans and is wondering should I do the same for the climbers....

[​IMG]
    Stir Fried with garlic ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    Today we had the second batch of the beans for lunch and this time I had to share it with my children. Becky cooked them the same way as the first batch but they don't like it because it was old and fibrous. Guess who had to eat them all reluctantly!