Plants and trees you want - But could never have.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by S-H, Jul 27, 2021.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I tried to quote whoever said wisteria. I have wisteria vines. Some specimens elsewhere are lovely. Mine, not so much. Mine are very invasive and a pest. I do not know what climate you are in, but we get plenty of cold here in the winter, so maybe you could grow them? Mine have killed a lot of trees, and look awful. At present we have a huge elm log hung up in wisteria vines, and in the top of a smaller elm. It is a "widow maker", and we have no idea how to get it safely down.

I would be willing to share some seeds later when they go to seed in the summer, but it would take a few years for them to bloom.

2. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Coconut and date palms (not tropical here!), lemon trees (same, but no room indoors either)... Cashews and black mission figs would be nice. They do not normally grow in Missouri.

3. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I'm with you on all of those, night owl!

AAnightowl and Pacnorwest like this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Summer Chocolate Mimosa. It just melts my soul… so incredibly beyond beautiful. 6CF2891D-1FB8-48F9-8E2F-5F9D35FDFC97.jpeg

S-H, Jewell and AAnightowl like this.

Advertisement
  5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Mimosas are lovely trees. We have regular mimosas here. They are very pretty.

They also make hordes of babies.

The trunks are sometimes weak. But they usually have roots about 3 times deeper than their above ground growth. They have multiple trunks in different directions.

Back in January 2019, the huge mimosa by my bedroom came down in an ice storm. Part of it hit my bedroom, and a trellis my son built. Any tree can come down and even on houses and vehicles, etc. I have had a lot of trees come down over the years--elms, apples, mimosa, etc. If you do get any mimosa trees, don't plant them too close to the house. My house is old, and other people planted trees near the house.

The local power company had to cut down several trees in my yard that were a hazard to the power lines. And I was the one who planted a couple of them. Take those into account when planting any trees.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

AAnightowl Yes I totally get it when it comes to trees planted in the wrong places. I am guilty of that more than I would like to admit.
    Some trees are amazing others a nuisance. I have a beautiful mimosa in the front garden. I also clipped off the multiple branches to one main trunk when it was young. The biggest issue here are when the flowers fall they attract a huge amount of banana slugs .
    The blooms also are a great attractant for hummingbirds. They don’t reseed here due to the cold winters and they don’t really leaf out til late June kind of a long wait…We have a tree guy come and keep the trees wind worthy ready for winter storms in fall.
    The only tree I had come down in a storm was a virus/mushroom filled Aspen tree that was injured from under ground varmints munching on it roots in winters. Actually I was happy to see it finally go and fought the zillions of shoots it sends up for years.
    Did you know the Aspen tree is called Pando , in fact the scientific name of the largest organism on Earth, the one-tree aspen forest in the state of Utah is made up of over 47,000 tree trunks, and millions of leaves, connected through one root system. Aspen trees is a pretty sight in fall with all it’s golden leaves glowing covering the mountain sides but not in my backyard … as they say…

AAnightowl likes this.
  7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I had no idea that Aspen trees were like that. Sumac trees--not something one wants in the yard--are like that. So are bristly black locust trees. Their flowers look a lot like bleeding hearts. If you cut one down, the whole thing dies. (I think I got the name right?)

Pacnorwest likes this.
  8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I also like blue spruce trees, but they do not tolerate the heat very well. I love white birch trees also, but for some reason they also do not do well here.

Some plants I would love are old fashioned hollyhocks and RHUBARB. My rhubarb died last summer, or it is not up yet. I cannot seem to keep it going more than two seasons. Last year the ants and Japanese beetles attacked my rhubarb. I never use poisons, but I even tried some Sevin dust for the bugs. (Now I am not sure what to do with all of that Sevin dust...). It keeled over anyway.

I have gotten hollyhocks to grow two or three times, but even those took over 20 years of trying. When I was about 5, we lived in a house with a huge yard, and a white picket fence outback where the veggie garden was. A lovely row of hollyhocks was growing behind the veggie garden. I did plant some more hollyhock seeds this spring. We will see if they grow or not.

I almost forgot. That house with the hollyhocks also had a huge English walnut tree. I loved it too. That would have been 1959.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

I hope your hollyhocks do well this season. I used to grow peaches and cream. They make quit a statement in the garden. Their flowers always reminds me of those tissue flowers made in school. So perfect they don’t look real. I gave up growing them they always get rust and start to look like someone sprayed them with black paint. I also have an old rhubarb in garden for years. It has no insects issues and the gophers and deer don’t bother them.
    I like blue spruce a lot too. They don’t do well here either. The color is a garden stand out. Had them in Colorado.
    Another tree I would like to get is the golden redbud. I would like to plant one next fall .
    Cercis canadensis 'Hearts of Gold' (Eastern Redbud) is a deciduous tree with a dense heart shaped leaves, with masses of purple like flowers cover it in spring. 69A61310-801A-4CC3-8DC8-6A8190AE876E.jpeg

I have a redbud I started from a seedling with bright hot pink flowers in spring and heart shaped 41E5B67E-2636-4A01-B887-7CECCDC0552C.jpeg pink /
    magenta leaves
    . 8B74BFEB-22A3-4EA1-924F-47AB52411E4A.jpeg

S-H and AAnightowl like this.
  10. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have redbud trees here. They grow well in the south, and I guess Missouri is south enough that they thrive here. The redbuds are nearly done for the year. Did you know the flowers are edible, and have a mild flavor? You can add them to a salad. I think I froze some of the flowers one year and they did well in the freezer.

The dogwoods are beginning to bloom now. I have white dogwoods, but would love a pink dogwood.

Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

hollyhocks.jpg

This is one of my first ever hollyhocks. I have had a couple other colors, but do not have photos for some reason.

The flowers in the background are my old fashioned tree rose of sharon bushes.

S-H, Jewell, Sjoerd and 1 other person like this.
  12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Your garden is way ahead of mine here in the coastal PNW of Oregon. We are a month behind normal blooming cycle due to a harsh weather pattern and storms that have held records over past winters.
    loving your hollyhocks. :smt060 what an amazing tree of old fashioned rose of Sharon. They are so beautiful.:headbang:. can’t have them here as much as I would love them. Do you have any more pics of trees in your garden/pond pic? I have a couple hibiscus in pots but they don’t do well, it’s also the state flower of Hawaii where I was from. I Would love to see more of your garden..Noticed the amazingdiscoveriestv . What are some programs you recommend.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
    AAnightowl likes this.
  13. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

@Pacnorwest, those pictures are NOT what is currently blooming! I am sorry if I was not clear. These flowers are not in bloom at present. These are from another season. My old fashioned tree rose of sharons are just now putting out new leaves for summer, and they do not bloom until late July here. They make loads of babies.

I HOPE the hollyhock seeds I planted this spring will grow and bloom. I understand they are biennial, so may not bloom until next year? I have not seen the hollyhocks sprouting yet, maybe it is a bit early?

14. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

@Pacnorwest, if you are interested in AmazingDiscoveries.tv, I would recommend their Genesis Conflict series on Creation v evolution. Also, the Total Onslaught series about the all out war against Christ. Both are presented by a Dr Walter J Veith. There are programs about health and prophecy, etc. Dr Veith was a professor of evolution on the graduate level in South Africa where he is from. He is a very interesting speaker. Look under video on demand on their channel.

My tree rose of sharon bushes are in 4 colors here in my yard. I have a dark pink, a light pink (which happened after I was here a few years, thanks to our buzzy friends), a lavender and a white. I will look for some more pictures to share from previous seasons since they wont be blooming until summer.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  15. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Maybe I ought to start a new thread on our garden pictures?