Porch sittin'

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Ronni, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Maybe it's just me...but I don't find your use of materials and colours shocking at all. I find them nice and also lovely. I can think of much more shocking presentations that you could use. It seems to me like you have it just right the way it is.

Ronni likes this.
  2. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

So, I decided to add a little more color to the porch by painting the old, beat up and weathered wood chairs that are out there. A couple of them were falling apart (so Ed nailed and glued and made them sit-worthy again.) I didn't want them to look all bright and shiny new, though I did want them to look....I don't know....happy? Just bright, but still sort of old. Did a little .... I don't know what to call it ..... distressed painting is what I call it, though I have no actual clue what I'm doing. ;) It's where I don't cover everything with an even coat of paint. Just sort of hit it with some spray paint and then rub random areas a bit to remove some of it.

Here's a before of two of the three chairs in question, and getting started on the first one.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then here's an after of the grouping of the three that I painted. There's some carved detail on the chair I painted yellow, I did a bit more close up of it so you can see how well the painting I did turned out...not that *I* did anything in particular...the carving did all the work!! ;) I just went really easy on the paint up there so it didn't get into all the crevices, and then rubbed some, and voila!! I like the way it turned out!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blue armchair looking one is something Ed made with his kids years ago. I have a cushion for that already, and I'm going to get some happy looking cushions for the yellow one and the green one. There's another folding chair that I didn't get to yet, but I have the paint for it....red this time! I tried to pick up the colors in that rug I got for the porch so that even though the furniture is a complete mishmash of styles, the colors unify everything.

This porch is a fun project!

Sjoerd likes this.