Prim's posies and projects

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Primsong, May 8, 2006.

1. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I love the Canterbells wish they grew like that in Texas . I also wish Peonies would grow here too .They are all over Billings ,Montana but not here in Texas.Is a shame Texas is just to hot.

2. Hank

Hank Seedling

Hey Primsong, can you (or anyone, for that matter) identify this daylilly?
    [​IMG]

There was a 60 ft. row of these along the driveway when I bought my house. I haven't been able to put a name to them. I've since dug up that row and relocated them all throughout the yard - I love em.

3. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I'm sorry - I have no notion of all of their names - my yard is filled with so many varieties of them, I just call them all "pretty lilies" :-D I have red, coral, oranges, yellows, pale pink, bright pink and deep burgundy ones going right now... There are probably sites for daylilies out there, it would be an interesting afternoon's research to identify them.

I went out to water this morning and was quite surprised to find one of my hens-n-chicks I had just put in recently had bloomed. I've never had one bloom like this before, so to me it was a novelty worth taking a picture of:

[​IMG]

I also have one of my favorites, my 7-up plant blooming among my bells and peonies - I don't know what it is officially called, but it really does smell just like effervescent lemon-lime soda! This is one I dug up and brought with me from my other house a couple years ago, still going strong.

[​IMG]

4. glendann

I have a plant I was told was hen acicks but it doesn't look nothing like that.

Advertisement
  5. Hank

Hank Seedling

Hens-n-chicks are one of my favorites. Tons of diffrent varieties. I'll go take a pic of mine - when they blossom they send up a shoot about 12" high.

As promised:
    [​IMG]

6. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Yes! It shot up overnight too - I think that was what rather amazed me. I put in three different kinds as a starter in a rather dry spot, hoping they will take and spread as they should. I used to have a little of them, but I never remember them blooming this way - I wonder if my kids, who were littler then, were picking the flowers? ;-) Great pic, thanks for sharing.

7. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

We've had enough sun and just a little rain that the lilies are very happy indeed - they just keep blooming. I love all the color they bring in the summertime.

[​IMG]

Off to the side is an odd construct of galvanized pipe and chickenwire that was here when we moved in. It had the remains of dead clematis on it. I've put some native trumpet-vines on it for now:

[​IMG]

And now they are blooming - they have an odd sort of blossom with little curls and only a faint sweet scent. The main reason I chose them is that they are hardy and I had my attention elsewhere in the yard this year, so I wanted something that would take care of itself, so to speak.

[​IMG]

8. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Well, the seasons are winding down a bit, but we still have a few blossoms going - some of the lilies are still in bloom and the roses and strawberries are still going - the new color for this warm mid-August time are these:

[​IMG]

[info]Crocosmia[/info], blooming all along the top of the driveway - I would like to get a few more of these in other colors as well.

And -

[​IMG]

This is a [info]lycoris lily[/info], a "naked lady" lily that came up very abruptly and without foliage as they do - it is right in the middle of my garden, put there by the previous owner and as their other name is "surprise lily" it certainly surprised me. It smells gently sweet. I want more of these too now!

Also - my grapes are eating up my greenhouse. Heh. I am missing one pane and they keep invading and being whacked off like a cheap sci-fi action-thriller movie with the Plant from Mars.

[​IMG]

9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

So nice to see your garden again Prim, I was beginning to worry about its absense :) The fiery colours of the Crocosmia are really eye-catching You mentioned that the lycoris lily was put their by the previous owner, is this your first year in this property? I can't remember. If so then that was a surprise!

Keep 'em coming Prim!

10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The plant that you all call 'hen and chicks' we call house leeks here. Isn't it strange the different names we give our plants in different parts of the world? I have many different kinds of sempervivums in my garden. Here's the flower head of one of them.

[​IMG]

11. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

We've been here two years - I remember it coming up last year now, but had completely forgotten about it. The property was neglected for two years before we bought it, so my first year was mainly spent in weed-whacking, yanking and trimming. I brought some plants from my previous house and I've put in a quite a few new ones too. Our big plans now are to plant a hedge of mixed shrubs and small trees around the back of the property for privacy from the RV park back there. Lots to do!

12. glendann

I love the lilie Prim.They give and give and then give some more.Your yard is just to beautiful for words.

13. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Best of luck with that Prim. :D

14. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh I'd love to see 'work in progress' piccies Prim!!!! :-D

15. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I found a wonderful sale on pottery going on and ended up bringing home a treat I've always wanted, one of those pots with all the strawberry pockets in them. Not needing strawberries (I have them all over the yard and was actually hacking some of them away from the stepping stones yesterday) I've filled the pockets with winter pansies for now - they should bloom all winter, even ice doesn't stop them. I am hoping they'll fill out and spill from the pockets after a bit.

[​IMG]

The vine maples are just starting to turn...

[​IMG]

And one of my experiments, three colchicum bulbs, are blooming! These are huge bulbs that put up what appear as giant pink crocuses. The leaves will come after the blossoms, to save up energy for next year. I planted them because I was intrigued with bulbs that blossom in the fall instead of spring. The third one is just pushing up through the dirt, so you can only see two here. The nearest one has a little bee friend inside it.

[​IMG]

I am busy planting asters, peach coralbells, snowdrops, other random bulbs as the fancy hits... waiting for my order of tulip bulbs to arrive. The gladiolas and some yellow daylilies are still blooming as are the ever present strawberries. I have some white asters that have gotten so tall I had to grab my peony hoops to try to keep them from flopping over.

We got a friend who does landscaping stuff to draw up a tenative plan for our backyard - she got pretty wild with it (no, I don't have the money for the fancy stone steps, patio, fountain, dry streambed...) but it gave us a good start on what to do with the back fence. I'm talking to a couple different landscaping/nursery folks around here, maybe we can get something done, groundwork of some kind, before spring planting.