Prune Those Toms!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Sounds good Island.
    I hope that you get some good results with that.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I use Borage to attract bees and at end of Summer, as green manure. The blossoms are edible and the leaves make tea that supposedly cures allergies.

Philip Nulty and Sjoerd like this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Growing pains-- Well, borage will certainly attract the bees, eh?
    I also eat the blooms on salads sometimes. The for allergy Rx, I have never heard of before. I would like to know the physiological process involved in this. It is an interesting proposition.
    I have several patches with borage and Phacelia in them at the moment...every time a patch is finished with production, I plant it in.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Sjoerd, may I suggest googling the information regarding Borage as an allergy inhibitor ?
    Ages ago, I moved the Comfrey to the creek bank. It grew so large, I no longer liked it by the Birdbath. If I can manage to get near it, I may use some in my layering. However, creek banks are a bit challenging for my age. :eek:

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks GP--I did look up the allergy-Borage relationship and found some info about it's effect on skin probs. I was not aware of this. Thanks for the tip. I always enjoy reading about things that I do not know.

That was good that you were able to move the Comfrey, it can be prickly and difficult to move...in the sense that getting all of the roots out could be difficult. I can imagine that its presence near the birdbath may not be ideal. It sounds like you have it at a good place though. I have wild Comfrey near the canal. The roots seem to hold the soil well.

Watch out over by the creek bank!! You don't want to get wet over there. --chortle--.

Philip Nulty and Growingpains like this.
  6. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

LOL Sjoerd, the Comfrey kept popping up for a few years, but finally I rooted it out. It seems to flourish on the creek bank.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yeah, the wild comfrey that I have by the canal banks on my lottie do it really well also.
    I have to say that feeding the toms a bit more frequently with the "comfrey tea" this year has resulted in a super bumper crop......I just keep picking, canning and eating--BLT's again tonight for supper. I never tire of them. They are so simple, yet soooooooscrummy.

8. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I believe Comfrey leaves are supposed to aid in healing sprains, bruises, swelling.
    Please google it before taking my word for it.
    I too am enjoying tomatoes this season. I think my favorite is from the one grown
    from a sucker I rooted off a Black Krim. It seems the highest acid and I really prefer high acid tomatoes.
    I had also tried a new German type which is smaller and yellow, but very juicy and great taste.
    I seem to have lost the tag. If I retrieve it, I shall identify it.
    This morning, I did quite a bit of tomato pruning. If it makes the remaining fruit grow larger, well done.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I've heard that comfrey can help against that.
    It sounds like you are having a really good growing season this year.
    Those toms of mine keep me busy throughout the season, but I like them so much, I give them a bit of extra attention.
    I sure hope that your pruning will help your plant's fruits become larger. That along with regular feeding ought to do the trick. I've got my fingers tightly crossed for you, meid.

10. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

I am not a gardener but on BBC Gardeners World last evening, Monty Don stressed the need to prune off the tops of your tomato plants so that energy is not wasted on foliage but goes to ripening the fruit.....see, even a non-gardener can learn by chance....but I also love Toms. ;)

Growingpains and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes, I saw that as well, RADDANG. Our season runs a bit ahead of some places in Britain, and I had begun topping mine a couple of weeks ago...just not all at once, I have been doing them in stages, based upon each plant's stage of development.

Growingpains and Raddang like this.
  12. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

@Sjoerd Do you get UK TV then Sjoerd? Does the Netherlands have your own national TV? If so, is it commercial? Just interested ;)

Growingpains and Sjoerd like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello Rad-- We do indeed get several BBC channels. We have national and commercial telly channels here. We also have channels from various other foreign countries available in the package.

Growingpains likes this.