Roses,..Roses,..Roses!.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Philip Nulty, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sigh....so gorgeous. I love the yellow and orange ones. How long does it take from seed collection to young plant?

2. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

Your roses are so beautiful, would love to smell them also. I agree Jewell, roses are hard to grow here in the northwest with all our black spot and dampness. I've been wanting to grow them, but do not like to spray chemicals, and have been trying to avoid plants that are prone to that. Do you have to do any spraying on your roses?

3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cayuga Morning,
    growing from seed takes many weeks,..once you have removed the seeds from the rose hip,..they need to be placed inside a zipped plastic bag on a damp paper towel,..to stop mold from forming,.. people mix a half point of water with a half point of peroxide and soak the paper towel,..i didn't do this,..i just popped them into the fridge until they sprouted,.. waited for the seeds to sprout then lifted them with a tweezers into a seedling tray.

There are several other methods,..but all entail Stratification,..chilling.

The risk of disease before the bush flowers is very high,..but once you have gone beyond Damp Off Disease at the early potting stage you are on a winner,..the excitement is waiting for the new bush to flower,..will it be like anything already in your garden,..or a new rose?,..out of three i grew from seed,..two were pink,..so new homes for them,..i have too many pinks,..but the third one,..still waiting for it to bloom.

----------------------------------------------------

Hi Karrma,
    ah yes roses are beautiful to see and smell,..but as you say hard to grow where you have dampness,..its like that here,..i do spray quite often as a result,..but with a mix of Baking Soda,Apple Cider Vinegar,Liquid Soap and Listerine and Vegetable Oil,and water.

This year there were no signs of Green Fly,..but Rust,Black Spot,and Mildew yes they were spotted but under control,..there are other mixtures you can make up from home,..the more you think on them they make sense,..insects don't like certain plants so use something like Neem Oil,Onion or Garlic,Baking Soda and a sticky substance to keep the mix on the leaf but not do damage,..its certainly cheaper than buying sprays which i seldom use,..and wouldn't like to even inhale.

The alternative is to purchase disease resistant rose bushes of which these days there are a great many.

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Less and less roses these days but still enough to brighten the day.

Roses with Sweet Pea.
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Have I ever mentioned that I like the orange ones best?

6. Cayuga Morning

Heaven on earth Philip.

7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Carolyn,
    as you like the Orange roses then the first one below will be an orange one,..i still have lots of roses coming in to bloom,..and Sweet Pea mixed among the roses,..it surprised me when i returned home after my break away that anything would survive our gales of late,..winds up to 80 Km an hour,..no rain thankfully,..as the combination would have destroyed the blooms.

[​IMG]

--------------------------------------------------

Hi Cayuga Morning,
    you also like the yellow and orange,..so i will oblige.

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------

Pictures taken yesterday were those above,..and here are some more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Cayuga Morning

Hi Philip--They are gorgeous! And yes, I do like the orange/apricot ones the best.
    I have some seed heads (rose hips?) on my rose right now that I am waiting to ripen, then I will try collecting seeds. In the mean time, I have tried layering a branch in order to get a new rose bush. I checked yesterday, the branch looked healthy, but I don't know if any roots are growing yet.

Your roses are beautiful. You must so enjoy making a tour of your garden to see what is blooming now.

9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cayuga Morning,
    its good that you are having a go with rooting the branch,..but knowing when it has rooted is a waiting game,..just wait until there is no doubt what so ever before disturbing the branch.

Even more time consuming is the seed method,..but certainly worth trying,..imagine a rose blooming that looks like no other in your garden,..alas it hasn't happened of late with me,..as you probably read,..all pinks.

Oh i do enjoy the garden,..even when having a cup of tea i have to wander outside and look around,..i was away from home for a few days,..on returning it seems i have lots to do,..maybe its a fresh view of the garden.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Cayuga Morning

Philip, Those last 3 roses are gorgeous. I love the color of the orange and the shape of the first one. Actually the shapes of the first 2!
    Have you ever grown Rosa 'Zephririne Dlrouhin'? (I am not sure I have the name right). It is supposed to still bloom in partial shade...and it does in my garden. Do you know of other roses that can deal with partial shade?

11. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Wow, stunning, and so many even though it's almost Autumn!
    Just one question, Philip: how do you keep mildew at bay?
    Over here, weather conditions have been so damp with so little sunshine, that all 4 of my climbing roses are now suffering badly from mildew. Is this curable, or will the roses slowly weaken and die? :eek:

12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cayuga Morning,
    roses are starting to grow on you,..lol.

Odd thing about those orange roses,..they are not regular in shape,..some are compact with one center others have two or three centers,..but then again this was a seed grown rose.

Believe it or not,..there are a vast amount of roses that not only grow in "part shade",..but thrive in it,..having said that roses do need about 5 to 6 hours sun,..its very hard to remember all the rose names,..but just a few that grow in "part shade" are listed below.

Iceberg.
    Playboy.
    Ballerina,(Hybrid Musk)
    Marmalade Sky.
    Mary Rose.
    Passionate Kisses.
    Sea Foam.
    The Knock-Out.
    Garden Showers.
    New Dawn.

Strange names,..but i came across them on some gardening site of late,..as for your "Zepherine Drouhin Rose",..its a climber,..and thorn less,..it will grow to about 10 foot,..and its fragrant.
    ----------------------------------------------------

Hi Gardenelf,
    Mildew is preventable by spraying at the first sign of the disease,..the young leaves start to crinkle,..i won't get technical,..but the disease in its infancy needs moisture and starts sucking the moisture from the leaves,..then the white Mildew appears,..so as soon as you see the signs,.. start spraying with a fungicidal soap,..or wettable sulphur,..you can get them from a pharmacy.

There are sprays you can get from garden centers but i wouldn't like to breath them in,..they do work as a last resort.

So keeping in mind the space between rose bushes,..not watering the leaves,.. i spray with a mixture i make up below,..it works for me to prevent the Mildew,..or even stop it,.. even on my seedling roses and cuttings.

1. Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil.
    1. Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar.
    1. Tablespoon of Liquid Soap.
    1 and 1/2, Tablespoon of Baking Soda.
    1. Teaspoon of White Listerine,(note Teaspoon).

Mix in a gallon of water and spray well.

We get all the diseases here due to our moist climate so regular checking is a must,..most times i prevent them starting,..but now and then one will get a grip,..if Mildew gets a grip,..cut off all the areas where Mildew can be seen,..BURN the leaves or branches,..always dispose of them that way and the rose bush will survive,..that part is good news for you.

You can also prevent it from happening if you space your rose bushes to 4 foot apart for big roses,..or 3 foot apart for Hybrids,..the leaves will get a better chance to dry off,..its the wet leaves for several hours that causes the disease,..i never water my rose leaves,..just the roots as we get enough moisture at night.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  13. Cayuga Morning

Philip--
    Is the concoction that you recommended what you use as a preventative, but then switch to a fungicidal soap or a sulphur product if mildew appears? Or can it be used for both?

Oh! And thank you for the part-shade rose recommendations. I have a couple of spots in my garden that I have been reserving for roses. They get the most sun on my property, probably 5-6 hours a day, so this is good. Thank you so much. You are the go-to man on Garden Stew about roses.

14. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Both mixes can be used as a preventative,..or a cure,..but i use the mixture i gave you as a preventative,..its really easier to prevent the disease than cure it,..because with Mildew its spores,..the sulphur and fungicidal soap can be used also as a treat in spring when the rose bushes are still dormant.

This mixture i gave is also good for fighting Blackspot and Rust,..plus insects don't like the Baking Soda,..i never had any sign of Green Fly or any insects since using this mix.

If i had a choice starting a rose garden i would go for disease resistant roses,..far less bother,..and easily purchased,..but that's just wishful thinking,..as when you like a rose,..you just go get it regardless.

15. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Thanks for the recipe, Philip, I'll give it a try next spring.
    (That is, if I can get my hands on some baking soda. They do sell baking powder here, but that is a mixture of baking soda and cream of tartar.)

Ah, now about spacing the roses...... Silly old me planted them MUCH too close together, underestimating the vigour of a climbing rose. :oops:
    Four of them turned out to be extremely ambitious on such a small pergola. So much so it's quite funny, what was I thinking! :D

At least one of them is to be dug up, and to be re-planted in my boyfriend's garden. I'll place some before and after pictures when it's done. Watch this space....