Say It Ain’t So

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Dec 15, 2023.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Great question Sjoerd!

I wonder if an animal nibbled those? Maybe frost. Or maybe some varieties are tougher than others?

Animals usually avoid daffodils. But gnomes... they might chop them off if they are upset. Did you do something to offend them? You might want to set out a little dish of beer. Gnomes like beer, and will forgive any offense for the foamy amber liquid.

I think they'll bloom at the normal time, but I don't know.

Logan, Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Daniël, I was just joking. I am guilty of schoffeling too deeply.
    I just did not realise that they were creeping out the bulb. So— no rabbits or birds. Haha.
    On the other hand gnomes ?… Hmmmmm. I hadn’t thought of that. We call them tuinkabouters over here.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    Logan and Willowisp0801 like this.
  3. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I never heard of that, Sjoerd. I read up on it and as they put it,
    "This technique is well-known across the pond, but may be less familiar to gardeners in the US".
    I think I may try it, they say it makes the stalks sweeter. I have a big plastic half whiskey barrel that the person moving across the alley had out for trash.I could put that over it with a brick or two on top. I wonder how long it takes for it to grow big enough to pick. And how would it get watered? Hmm I'll need to look into it more. Have you or anyone here done it?
    Sjoerd, your town is very nice. When my kids were young we would make trips to a small town in the mountains called Leavenworth. We'd go different times of the year, in fall to see the colorful trees, winter they had some winter festival, spring and summer they had things as well. It was a nice drive. When we moved here we specifically went through there so my granddaughter could see it. We probably stopped there for lunch because I remember going into some shops.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/leavenworth-visitors-guide-1608546

Sjoerd and Logan like this.
  4. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Maybe fairies too. I hear they can be a little spiteful, as well. Did you happen to see any fairy circles?

Sjoerd and Logan like this.

Advertisement
  5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

@Willowisp0801 you don't have to worry about watering rhubarb in the ground.
    Here's a couple of videos for you, they might help.

How to grow and forcing

I haven't done it myself, rather wait for the proper harvest.

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cheers for that link, Willow. That looks like an interesting town. I like the style of the buildings. There is no shortage of things to do and also in the surroundings, I see. All-in-all, a great location. I can see why you liked it so much.

Forcing rhubarb is fairly straightforward and there are probably techniques all over the internet. Those vids that Loggie posted are good examples.
    I am so excited to hear that you are considering forcing yours. I do not recall posting a how-to thread on here about this. Sooooooo, if you do do that, please post a series of foto’s with commentary. I’ll bet the members here will finding it interesting to read.

You asked about watering, but that is easy— just lift up one side and stick the spout of the watering can in there and give the water. I would not give very much water at all during the winter and little during the summer. I would say, the soil ought to me moistish, but not wet or soggy. Do not apply water directly onto the leaves.

That half whiskey barrel sounds good. Actually, any closed vessel that is tall enough to accomodate the ever - growing length of the stalks.

Addendum: If you are a kidney-stone former, you can better stay awzy from eating this plant.

I like the mildness of the forced stems, but I mostly used rhubarb to mix with strawbs when making jam. I do not know if the oxalic acid helped with keeping the jam from developing bacterial colonies, but the jam had a slight contra action making the jam a wee bit tart.

I used to treat my bees with a few drops of oxalic acid in the fall to help combat the varroa mite. Getting the timing right was always the challenge.

Right then, Willow…I wish you bonne chance.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    Logan and Willowisp0801 like this.