Sjoerd's Purple podded peas

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by carolyn, May 27, 2012.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

KK You could probably grow ours although they are a bit different. 90 degrees here and ours are just getting started. Ours are the kind you eat with cornbread, sliced tomato, and a bit of hot pepper.

2. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I love peas of any kind.They don't have the pretty purple pods here.except for the purple hulls.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Heh heh heh...right you are, C.

BTW-- how long are those rows of Kapucijners that you have shown in your pic?

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

6o ft. long for all the rows of peas. Yesterday I picked about 7 lb. of the maestro.

Advertisement
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

We would have to plant these very early spring or fall !! I think they need the cool temps. Guess its purple hulls or blackeyes for us Glendann.

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

....sixty feet. Well miss, that ought to keep you in peas for a while.
    What a splendid harvest of the Maestro. There will be some happy customers at the market, I am sure.

When you pick early, do you keep your harvests cool until the day of the market?

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

S, I picked them in the morning the day before my market , then put them in the refrigerator until the market day.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Today I picked 21 lbs of peas from this row and I think it looks as if I didn't do anything to it.

just an update from the farmers market today... I sold 16#'s of these peas and gave a few of my friends from the market a couple bags and brought 1/2 of a bag home. I had many people comment that they liked the pea, even though it wasn't as sweet as the green podded peas. So I guess it was okay to most people.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Good to hear that the Kapucijners are selling well there...and that people like their taste. It is a sort of staple here, especially in the winter (for us)...but I eat them all year round.

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

These sounded so good I was planning to grow some of these in my garden this year. I have found a variety called 'Blue Podded Pole' or 'Blue Pod Capucijners' - Pisum sativum. The catalog says it was devoloped by the Capuchin monks in Holland ... is this the same pea?

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Netty, that is the same pea I grew. At first I was not thinking I liked it, but the flavor either got better or I just learned to like it better. It isn't as sweet as a green pea and at first has a bit of an odd feel after you chew it. I can't really explain it, but try them.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Netty, there are two sorts: a climbing one and a low-bush variety. I find that they taste practically the same.

They are eaten by everyone here,but what Carolyn says: they are not as sweet as regular peas.

I eat them alone on the plate along with spuds and meat sometimes, but normally we include them in a stir-fry type dish.

I shall be interested to hear what you think of them.

13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hmmm...I had hoped to grow these to temp the kids into eating more veggies hehehe But if they aren't sweet and have an odd texture, maybe they aren't the peas for us. We tried several varieties last year and taste tested them to discover that we really love the 'Sugar Snap' because to the sweetness and tasty pods. Maybe I will just grow an extra long row of them this year. But I sooo love the idea of purple pods making picking easier!

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Netty, I was surprised when I saw kids who loved them. Please don't pass them up because you think your kids won't like them. Truly, give them the opportunity to see for them selves, just grow a small patch of them. I always tell/told my children "You don't have to like it, but you do get to try it to see if you do" I don't have "picky" eaters now, but maybe that is just their nature...

Netty likes this.