SMOKING....How Do You Make Yourself Want To Quit?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by desertflower, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I'm not a smoker myself, but had a dad that smoked for years and years - it seems to be a little different for each person, so don't be discouraged if one thing doesn't work, just try, try again.

My dad is one of those strong-willed types, so he just quit cold turkey and never smoked again... we had a party seven years later, his "clean lungs party" as he'd read it takes that long for them to heal. It worked for him, he set some time aside from work and steeled himself to get through the withdrawl time, but I doubt it would work for everyone.

2. desertflower

desertflower Seedling

Thanks for the input primsong. Every little bit helps.

3. desertflower

desertflower Seedling

LOL at the line at then of my posts. I guess I need to add....unless it is cigarettes!

4. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I'm so glad you said how you started smoking. Hubby and I were trying to figure that out. I couldn't fathom how someone woke up at 46 and decided to start smoking. :!: He said it had to be peer pressure of some type. I couldn't imagine that but now I know it WAS. The biggest peer pressure of all-the hubby! Have faith that hubby will remain "GOOD" even if you don't smoke anymore. Try and try again if need be. It's all right to fail as long as you don't give up TRYING. This is true in everything. :-D

Advertisement
  5. desertflower

desertflower Seedling

I know without a doubt that hybby will be fine from now on. We have a very good relationship. He will also quit if I quit. He has quit before. We both have better coping skills now tho and don't need the smoking for that reason. We do lots of things together now that all of the kids are out of the house. We are both very pleased with our life and each other at this point. But thanks anyway.

6. kalalaukid

kalalaukid New Seed

smoke something else

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Ok ,here goes I have smoked for 52 years.I saw my mother on oxygen saw my
    husband die from cancer of the soft pallet my Aunt Neva die from oxygen starvation from smoking also other 2 Aunts died with cancer never smoked.My mother in law and she never smoked.
    I had a heart attack and a Quad bypass stopped smoking for 6 weeks and I think i could have eaten a ciggarette the day I went back.You would think I could stop but its just so hard to leave them alone .I enjoy them so much and I know they are slowly but surely killing me.
    I'm sorry I'm no help for you desert flower I wish you luck and lots more strength than I have.God help you and me as thats the only one that can help me.

8. Anitra

Anitra New Seed

The last time I quit -- the one that "took" -- I used the affirmation "I am not a smoker... I am not a smoker..." repeating it to myself over and over, several times a day. I made no other special effort. One day I lit up a cigarette, looked down at it and thought, "Why am I smoking this? I'm not a smoker!" and threw it away.

Negative affirmations aren't *supposed* to work -- but it did for me.

I also went through a "cleansing" regimen shortly after that: exercising, sweating in a sauna, drinking lots of water and eating lots of veggies. I think that helped. Things associated with smoking -- like having a cup of coffee, or drinking beer with friends who smoked -- would trigger a craving for a cigarette. Cutting out coffee and beer for that first few months was probably one of the things that helped me stay away from the tobacco until I was past the critical stretch.

It sounds like you are on a healthy roll!