The Coming New Garden Year.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sydney Smith, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Carolyn--Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Your experience with guinea hens sounds dreadful, but also a bit humorous. Needless to say, I hereby swear off guinea hens. I might consider chickens though. If they are free range, (& I guess they would need to be in order to rid our lawn & gardens of ticks), how do you keep them safe from foxes?

Our yard is actually overrun with deer & deer ticks at present. In my gardening, I mistakenly have put our a smorgasbord of delectable food for them over the years (hosta's, rhododendrons, phlox,etc) Our local apple growers have also begun fencing them out so they are encroaching on people's lawns in town for food. In the summer, we cannot walk in our lawn without picking up 1-3 deer ticks.

I will take your advice though and rethink the peanut butter.

Thanks.

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

CM, The foxes haven't been a problem for me..but I also think being realistic is a very good way to approach having chickens, don't make petting pets out of them....you will lose some of them to predators of all origin, hawks (the worst for me), neighbors dogs, coyotes/foxes, etc. it just happens. not that I don't get upset, but what can I do about it once it happens? not much, but it isn't worth over worrying either. I get very upset when the new layers get targeted though and I keep a couple roosters for flock protection. They keep an eye on the sky and out on the horizon. I had some strange noise going on just the other morning and when I stepped out on the deck there was a hawk flying over and all the hens had scattered for cover and, once again, an electric fence strung around the perimeter is helpful, too.

Try planting mint in your lawn....see if that helps deter the ticks. I know it is recommended for fleas and other insects around the house. I have it in my lawn and don't find it invasive. I know other people will run screaming ifd you so much as suggested that stuff, but mowing it down works for me. I don't keep grass for a lawn. I am looking for lower maintenance (less mowing) and more flowering plants mainly because I keep bees, not that this really helps the bees, but it makes me feel better.

3. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi CM Carolyn all. Wow it sounds you folk have quite a lot to contend with in order to maintain your gardens and grow your plants - had not realised until reading your comments.
    Carolyn most interested in that you are also a Beekeeper - fascinating insects and where would we be without them. One of my aims in all my gardening efforts is to provide for them and all such - very happy to say that this year has been a real success - more Bees, Butterflies and others than I have seen for many years past. Those Buddleas contributed mightily towards it all. Bees with us now are mainly Bumbles of different sizes and varieties, very few Honeys sadly, their numbers very much reduced. Did this year have a nest of small Tree Bees(?) in a bird box - apparently so I read they stay a season or two and then move on. Now a question please if I may - I happened to read recently about Beekepers "telling the Bees" ref any major happenings in the family - love to here you thoughts about that since you actually keep them.
    Back to plans for next year . During two moves since 1957 I have not grown many of the plants I had done hitherto - I am replacing those I particularly miss and have obtained a few this year. I am also thinking bulbous plants which include Crown Imperials, Crinum, Nerines, Galtonia, Sternbergia etc and have an ideal place where I can grow them. Might even give that Ostrowskia another go!. Our bungalow faces South and at present there is a paved area full width across the back of it. I intend to take up the first row of paving slabs thus providing an 18 in wide bed against the wall which I may raise a little for good drainage - soil is already very sandy here - always paying heed to the damp proof course.
    Nice to natter and look forward to hearing your comments ref the Bees. Regards to all. Syd.

4. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

So far the many deer we have -got 2 acres. And neighbors has same amount of land.But not lived there for 4 year years. Place like jungle. We have sprayed for deer, rabbits and deer. Seen deer with Huge rack in back. They have ate many of our apples. But had lots this year.---8 trees.

Advertisement
  5. Cayuga Morning

Here is another critter invading the garden. Our bird feeders attracted him. Needless to say, we have stopped filling the feeders for now! We haven't seen him now for 2 weeks. We hope he has gone beddy-bye for the winter. My husband took this photo about 12 feet away inside our house. He was behind a glass window.

[​IMG]
    Say hi to our latest critter! ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

Jewell likes this.
  6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi CM - all. Ouch I would not wish to see that at the bottom of my garden much as I admire them - I will stick to my Rupert Bear. Beautiful creatures mind but I have read quite a lot about them in various books and they are for sure to be taken very seriously at all times.
    A nice sunny morning here and have been out cutting up the prunings from my Buddleas and putting them in the collection bin. I prune them properly in Spring but at this time take just a third off the top to help prevent wind rock etc during the winter. I do not know how it is with you folk in US but here the seasons seem to be overlapping to a large extent, lots of strange things happening including flowers appearing at times when they should not - some deciduous shrubs having recently lost their foliage are already showing quite large new buds - culinary Rhubarb is showing through the surface already with new growth. This is one of my favourite large leaved plants and I grow it in several places purely for ornamental reasons, none of us eat it - it makes a really good impact amongst contrasting foliage. I grow it in the strip of land next the woods and plan in one place to plant a division from an Acanthus mollis near to it with a bold fairly tall variegated grass between. That Acanthus incidentally is a fairly recent introduction with young yellow foliage, I will send pic of it (and the Rhubarb shoots) next post as its still looking very good.
    Already have quite a few schemes and plans for next year and thoroughly enjoy reading thinking and putting these thoughts for new efforts together.
    Finally a comment I made a couple of posts back ref an authoress Margery Fish and her garden and books - did anyone look it all up - it really is most interesting - would love to hear their comments if so. Regards. Syd.

7. Cayuga Morning

Hi Syd--Thanks for the reminder of Margery Fish. Our local library has a copy of her latest book & I will take a look at it.

Speaking of gardening resources, have you watched the 'How to Be a Gardener' series of videos? Philip Nulty on Gardenstew turned us on to them. If you haven't seen them, check them out. You can find them on Youtube.

Your use of rhubarb sounds fun. No problem with slugs on it?

Yes, that bear in our backyard in broad daylight has given us all pause. Our daughter has stopped running in the woods & has stopped running on the road at night. (Normally the bears forage at night here). We are hoping he has gone into hibernation.

8. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi CM. Ref Margery Fish please do have a look it really is very interesting. Just a very brief comment on her books etc - I have them all. Very informative, describes the plants their likes and dislikes and all in a nice light "non" textbook style - I always feel that I was walking round her garden with her. Also wrote on flower arranging etc. The garden is wonderful and its also famous in UK. She wrote on making their garden, all the seasons and the plants flowering in them,how they are grouped for contrast etc, cottage gardens, shade gardening, an all year garden, a flower for every day, ground cover plants and more. Many unusual and rare plants included in a wide range from the humblest upwards.
    Will look into the videos. The Rhubarb does have the slugs after them and I do my best, the thing with them is that if a leaf or three gets a bit tatty I remove it and lay it alongside the plant as a decoy - they grow so well that a lost leaf is soon replaced.
    Its rather nasty having that Bear lurking around for sure, highly dangerous as well if encountered whilst out - take care you all.
    A pic of that first Rhubarb shoot and also of the Acanthus attached. This plant I bought two years ago and although they do get to a large size and grow quickly once settled they take a fair time to get established - once they do get going you have them for life - very difficult (if you wanted to of course) to remove - roots go down to Australia I read somewhere. Very impressive with large foliage and tall mauve and white flowers spikes which do have sharp spines on them. I have only mollis here but in last garden grew it and spinosus which has more finely cut edged foliage. Reading says that this is the plant the original (and still?) Greek columns and sculptings were copied from. Very pleasant to have a natter in this way on site.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Sydney Smith's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Seeing that bear so close, makes me realize how lucky I am just to have to deal with an armadillo! :stew2:

10. Cayuga Morning

Cheryl-- Probably it is a case of the 'devil that you know is better than the one you don't'. Armadillos sound intimidating to me!

Syd--Those shoots in pic #2 & #3 are so pretty. I love the look of new growth. I couldn't make out what was what is pic #1.

11. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi CM - Cherylad. Armadillo certainly does sound sort of armour plated and Tank like - are they a bit dangerous?. Ref that first pic that was not good at all but it was a Rhubarb shoot coming through already - will improve pic when it shows up a bit more. Peony's were mentioned along with Hostas - I like them also and think they are a nice plant all round including the foliage - apparently they can actually grow to hundreds of years old. I think they are a good example (stand to be corrected here) of just how many plants have been developed over the years from quite humble origins flower wise up to huge "beauties". Some of the Peony's are massive especially what I have seen on the bush ones - I'm sure that some I have seen are as much as nine inches across. I grew the cottage ones (officinalis?) at my first garden and they and a "Chinese" one at the second. This had very large pink flowers with maroonish splashes on it and had a lovely scent - very Rose like I thought. Problem was that those large blooms each had to have a cane to hold them up and it seemed almost inevitable that as soon as it was in flower down came the rain and the pink was brown very quickly - totally spoiled. I gave up on them but do here have a "waif I have just rescued - will see what it turns out to be. It is my intention in this years plans to get that officinalis again as it was always reliable and a good "doer". As Peony lovers you will know one that I grew in first garden, the single yellow known popularly amongst its fans as "Molly the Witch". For those who do not know it comes from its name which if I can spell it correctly it is mlokosewitschii. Still around but pricey - it has great charm and grace as do I think all single flowers more than doubles nice as they are. - don't get me wrong - I am a great double flower fan and have them in quite a few plants including Campanula, Geranium,Filipendula etc etc. Syd.

12. Cayuga Morning

Syd--I tend to grow the single peonies because I am not so good at staking those peonies with the huge flower heads. I prefer the simplicity of the singles anyway.

13. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Syd... I've never had a close encounter with one. I imagine if you were threatening it or it's family it could get aggressive. But I'm sure they'd just waddle in the opposite direction if one approached them... unlike a bear! :D
    The armadillos only came out at night to forage for food. They made a real mess out of my mulch but luckily didn't dig up any plants.

14. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi CM Cheryl all. Single flowers are my preference also over doubles - I can add simplicity (CM's word) now to my description of grace and charm for them. As gardeners though to us almost(?) all flowers are beautiful whatever and ref doubles I have had a number over the years and still do a few. Many I think are rather oversized (if that's a suitable word) but there's also a lot of quite dainty ones with many sizes in between them. Some I have at present - the Geraniums - Campanulas - Primroses are quite smallish and others I have had are even smaller than these - Filipendula hexapetala Fp (white), Thalictrum dipt Hewetts Double (mauve), Ranunculus acris FP (yellow) and aconitifolium FP - this last known as Fair Maids of Kent and Batchelors Buttons, buttons they are like, tiny white domes. What doubles do you grow?.
    Ref the Armadillo it sounds more like a nuisance rather than a danger but it is always so annoying when having taken the interest and trouble to produce something nice along comes a "something - whatever" and damages or destroys it all - everything has to eat we know but its still very trying.
    Last thought is ref winter indoor gardening i.e. sitting planning reading etc - who likes to read of the histories of plants, their origins, namings and also the many little fables and superstitions which surround them, its all most interesting and often amusing (quite a few surprises as well) - some good books around on the subject. Just one fable I read of concerns a plant called a Mandrake which apparently had/has magical/mystical properties - very bad luck for you to dig it out of the ground so a rope was tied round it and this attached to a strong dog which did the pulling out for you - all was well. Hope to see you later. Syd.

15. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. A pic of Mole damage in a grass area nearby - its much the same all around. The front and side gardens in this property were like it when we moved in here - these areas are now sheeted over and with a thick layer of shingle over them to hopefully stop it - so far its so good. Syd.

[​IMG]