The Coming New Garden Year.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sydney Smith, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Looks like home. They even push dirt up between the bricks in the brick patio some years. Go figure. The worst is when our Doberman pincher with all her good graces goes digging for the mole. She can create a foot deep, foot long trench in moments if I am not out in the yard with her :D :rolleyes:

2. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Syd, Looks exactly like my yard right now. And I'm at a loss with what to do. We have tried everything. It's breeding season when you see the raised mounds. Those raised mounds are breeding rooms, and they can be 1 - 2 feet deep. To deep for us to get to. The male moles make them and then just set and wait. Look for the raised tunnels leading to them and do what ever you need to stop the females.

3. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi jewell - Donna. I had a terrible job trying to stop it all when I first moved in but as stated finally gave up on it and sheeted/shingled those areas where the worst was happening. This seems to have worked OK thus far but I have had the occasional one in the other areas of garden. Much as I dislike the thought of it I set traps successfully and have after much practice got the knack of doing this. The whole areas round about here are the same with Moles everywhere - very rare to see a garden with grass/lawn in it - mostly shingle. There is another thing making the grass growing even more hopeless in that in addition to Mr. Mole theres a certain Beetle grub in abundance lives on its roots and what with these two things and the very dryness of the area it really is a hopeless task and not worth the trouble. I have had the same thing happen here with the dirt being pushed up between paving stones and once even in that very narrow joint between a concrete path and the brickwork of the bungalow. The Doberman sounds great by the way.
    Regards. Syd.

4. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Syd, please explain how you shingle areas. Are you just laying them on the ground? I was thinking of standing them up below raised bed frames.

Advertisement
  5. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Donna. Seeing your comment here I have now realized/remembered that the word "shingle" was a little confusing since it has a totally different meaning in the US to here - so very sorry. Am I correct in thinking with yourselves shingles are wooden slats/roofing tiles?. Here it is large'ish stone gravel and quite weighty. The ground is cleared and a special sheet material layer (weed prevention) is covered right over the surface and a goodly layer of this stone shingle covered over this.
    Can remember now the word shingles being used in a fifties song from Rosemary Clooney (amongst others) - "This Ole House" with a line "ain't got time to fix the shingles ain't got time to fix the door". Thanks for your interest and sorry again. Syd.

[​IMG]
    Shingle on Front Garden Area. ( photo / image / picture from Sydney Smith's Garden )

6. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Syd, Our shingles are mostly made of asphalt with gravel.
    "This Ole House" is a song I remember fondly. My grandmother used to crank up the old victrola and sing along all the time while dancing around the livingroom.

7. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Donna. This is great - were we near to each other we could perhaps give that dance to "This Ole House" a go. Seriously though was I wrong again - you use the word shingle to represent a tarmac/gravel but do you also use it for wooden roof tiles - if so it probably goes way back even to the wild west. Rosemary Clooney was amongst my favourite singing lasses and I so much also liked "Half as Much" - do you remember that one?. Syd.

8. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Syd, They are used on the roof of houses and other buildings.
    And yes I remember "Half As Much" also.

9. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Donna. Many thanks - all is now clear. Last comment ref shingles/song - I still have a double CD set of Rosemary Clooney and occasionally play them. On looking it up apparently her rendering of This Ole House (1954) sold 2 million and was a number one transatlantic hit.
    Best wishes. Syd.

10. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Very definite signs of Spring here with Crocus aplenty flowering, Daffs in bud, Hyacinths showing along with other bulbs and also some herbaceous perennials are appearing, the little Pulmonaria has several of its blue flowers, many shrubs and trees showing fat buds. Will shorly be able to prune the Buddleas and if they do as well this year as last I will be very well pleased - have never for a long long time seen so many Bees, Butterflies and other insects on them.
    Have four very good specimen upright slimmish green Thuyas and these will have to have a couple of feet taken out of their tops - for interest a pair of Robins are showing definite nest building tendencies in one of them - due care and respect will be paid to this.
    Have a simple pergola set up on the back of the bungalow and a couple of the cross beams are part rotting - have ordered timber to replace them - must give it all a good treatment before the foliage on the Vine, Honeysuckle and Wisteria appear. Ref that Vine I am now training it out over part of the structure so as to form a shady area under it.
    Have prepared an order for some more Alpines to accompany those already in the cold Greenhouse - these are all looking fit and well.
    A neighbour has been promised a selection of plants in the Spring and I will make up a nice varied assortment for her.
    One fence has to be replaced with new panels and gravel boards but the concrete posts are OK fortunately.
    This time of the year I am all eagerness and so much looking forward to all the old plant friends reappearing again after their winters rest.
    In addition to all this of course and very important is that once it all starts really happening we have so much more to talk about and experiences to share.
    Syd,