The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thank you Friend. :) We either use them for "pesto linguini" - some diced garlic, butter and a pesto ball tossed in linguine. Mine only have basil, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, parmesan, butter and olive oil. Very basic.

We also use them as a base for pizza, or tortilla shell pizza.

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Good Thursday morning! While husband was watering tomatoes and peppers (he gets the hard work) I harvested herbs. The parsley finally succumbed to the heat, but everything else is doing fine. I cut basil to hang to dry, but saved one stem to garnish our linguini with basil butter and garlic tonight. No change of plans this time--we don't need yet another basil plant!
    I couldn't resist, so I cut more spent zinnia flowers and saved the seed. Next year may be known as the "zinnia year" around here!
    Hope you all harvest a good day!

Netty and Sjoerd like this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mel—Cheers for that mate. I ought to have been able to figure that out. Haha. You call it “basic”, but I think that I would be delighted with the flavour.

Marlin— You are again showing your culinary prowess. Chapeau.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Thursday afternoon all. Currently 27°C and sunny.
    Super busy day at work ... my regular Thursday helper is off with an injury. I was working just fine all by myself until I got the "help" of someone else, that really only made more work for me. I am going to refuse help from now on! Geeze, what a day that turned out to be!
    Heading to the rink shortly, that will help me cool off!
    Have a great evening all :)

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 16°C and overcast. What a nice change from yesterdays 32°C!
    I hope to get my grass cut before the rain starts, and then it will be time to head over to my daughters rental house. We are doing the final move and cleanup today.
    I also hope to get my zucchini shredded and into the fridge with salt and onion, to sit overnight and become zucchini relish tomorrow.
    Have a great day all :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Never a dull moment, right Netty?

7. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 16°C and sunny. We ended up getting several hours of rain yesterday so the grass chores didn't get done. We did get my daughters rental cleaned and the last of the boxes moved, and the zucchini did get into the fridge for relish. That will be this mornings job, making and canning up the relish. THEN I'll be able to get the grass cut! Veggie garden is going crazy, picked the first basket of beans yesterday, 4 cucumbers, and 4 zucchini. Today I'm going to try to work on the back flower beds, they are very weedy and need some deadheading. You are right Sjoerd, never a dull moment!
    Have a great day all :)

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, I have figured out why the gardening gods smile on you--nothing goes to waste! The fact that you are an industrious and good cook helps, too. You are their darlin' girl!
    Not much going on in this heat. I'll be stripping thyme leaves and putting them in a jar, but the basil isn't dry yet. I harvested herbs last week and with our humidity (even with the AC going) it takes them longer to dry.
    I'm getting the itch to bake bread, but hesitate to heat up the kitchen. Wonder if anyone would mind if I baked while wearing my swimsuit?

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well Jane…it sounds like a capital idea. You could get a tv show and call it something like, “The Swimsuit Chef”, Why not, in Britain they had a show called “The Naked Chef”. The bloke became well known and did alright financially I think. BTW, I do not think that he ever was partially naked, let alone in the Full Monty. Just a cheeky title.
    just a thought.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, the sight of me in a swimsuit is enough to kill anyone's appetite!

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Surely you jest. Just think about the money…it’s all about the money, all about the money.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  12. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Sounds like with some well positioned bricks you could bake bread outside in the sun MG. Then you could jump through the sprinkler while you bake in your bathing suit - maybe giving a tomato a drink at the same time (in the spirit of water conservation). Multi-tasking at it's finest. :) I'm with Sjoerd...this show could be a money maker. :)

marlingardener and Sjoerd like this.
  13. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

We had some rain last night, which the world is grateful for. I have a hail warning for today, so the squash will get a protective blankie. The mowing is 2/3 done, and if the afternoon allows it the last 1/3 will be completed. Thank goodness. I've been mowing down saplings - it sure doesn't take long for the wild to come back. It always eagerly awaits.
    I'm waiting for water for tea to boil, and then making dough for maple cream sandwich cookies, split second raspberry jelly cookies and GF graham wafers. They will get baked this evening when the rain comes back or early tomorrow morning. Once the dough is made it is back to the wonderful world of splitting firewood. Two dead pine came down and are waiting for me at the woodshed. This will be this winter's wood. Then I need to start splitting the green wood that was put up there last year. That goes into the bay for next year...which is quite empty at the moment. It needs the heat of August to cure.

@Netty - I have a date with the neighbour that I share my garden with to make zucchini relish in a few days. She loves it. We go though about 4 jars a year - she goes through at least double that hahaha. She doesn't get to do many "kitchen harvest" things anymore, so I invited her to come for a coffee morning of chopping, and then the next morning for making and canning. It will be fun - she is super excited. It smells so good when it's cooking. :)

Netty, marlingardener and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Golly Mel— you have some fun things lined-up there.
    I have to ask though, do you often use pine for your firewood? Do you think there could be any resins left in that old thing?

One time in Alaska when I was away, the Bride had a chimney fire caused by the resins. It came out alright but made a lasting impression on her. It was birch and aspin after that.

Living isolated has its negative aspects. As I recall now, almost all of the difficulties occurred when I was away. Our home was not very posh and would have been easy for a bear to break in if it wanted, so I insisted that the Bride get and keep a particular gun in the house.

We got it, practiced with it and went over gun safety, then I was off again. What did she do— she kept the gun in the house, but left the shells outside in the truck. Honestly, woman!
    Tja, our Alaskan adventure had its testing moments.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Gun in the house, shells in the truck? We have a pistol and a rifle to discourage predators. My husband has posted a sign on our gate--"Wife with two guns. Be careful". I can't bring myself to kill an animal, but scare them off, sure!. Shooting a human predator, no problem.