The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Heh, heh, heh.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  2. Clay_22

Clay_22 Young Pine

Yesterdays thunderstorms finally gave us a break in the heat and humidity...finally comfortable in the the 70's with a high of 81. Plumcots definitely a novelty item.

Sjoerd and Melody Mc. like this.
  3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Hiya Sjoerd.
    We used to avoid Pine just because it did not throw enough BTUs in winter. Fir was pefered and available due to a Fir Beetle. Then the Pine Beetle epidemic happened, and Pine was everywhere.
    We do our own chimney sweeps. We also have new stoves as of two years ago. They are much more efficient, and if the wood is cured, they burn through a set of tubes that produces little to no creosote. We used to sweep once a month, now we sweep twice a winter.

Our wood shed is one a three year cycle, so that the wood is dry and cured. The drier and more cured, the least amount of creostoe. Some, like Pine, have some even then.

Funny thing is that soft woods that don't throw a lot of BTU ( Poplar, Cottonowood, Willow..) have zero creosote. But they create SO MUCH ash.

In the early fall and early spring, we burn the low BTU woods, so that the house doesn't become an oven. When -10 comes, the Pine is great. When -30 and lower comes, the Fir is the ticket. We mix the Pine in.

It's a bit of a cool (hot) science.

Chimney fires are scarey....always. In our area, sadly, a few homes are lost every year due to chimney fires. I hope everything worked out well for your Bride.

Good for you for having her ready with firearms....and glad to hear that she didn't need it with the ammo in the truck. I'm sure she would have Ninja'd herself there and loaded up if necessary :)

Netty and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Hahahaha Oh MG....one of the differences I wish our countries didn't have. I'm all covert....and you can shout from the rooftops hahahahaha. That's a great sign. If I had that sign I'd get a visit from the RCMP. ( For which I would offer an obligatory apology :) )

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I enjoyed reading your firewood story. Things have progressed since my Alaska days.

That little A-frame house we rented back then was built by an elderly lady. It was ramshackle and crooked. It was one way in and one way out, had a griz gotten in, I am not sure how the Bride could have ninja-ed her way out of the narrow confines. Having said that our Husky may have provided some distraction. I don’t mind telling you I worried a bit.

It was our fifth year up there and when I got a call from a headhunter I gladly flew out for the interview. A bit of a normal life was welcome. I was on a two weeks at home and two weeks away schedule. The work was good and exciting, but there was little domestic aspect.

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Another hot day here, but we got our outside things done (while the cat lounged under the AC) early. We are SO looking forward to a break in the heat!
    Making a broccoli salad to have with spaghetti and meatballs tonight. Husband just might be getting a trifle tired of cold meals. I pulled out a loaf of onion oregano bread from the freezer to have tonight. That ought to hold his craving for a hot meal for a while!
    Hoping all you cool people have cooler weather!

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Sorry that you are still having the persistent heat there.

We have just flip-flopped and have rain today. So what have I been doing? I’ve been reading your Red Gate website. It is so well put together. Chapeau.
    Also it is good to see your advice to others. You guys are good.

marlingardener likes this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well, it was hot before, but now it's hotter! Sjoerd thinks my advice to others is good so my advice is "don't move to or visit Texas in the summertime!"
    We have the fans on in the chicken coop and fresh water for the ladies. They also got the left over frittata from yesterday's lunch. They love Italian food!
    Cleaning house this morning. While I cleaned the bathrooms, husband, bless him, did the dusting. He is so thorough! He found dusty spots I'd ignored for weeks. Cat is supervising--she has her standards which must be met.
    Hope you all have a pleasant Saturday, and weekend.

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Heh, heh, heh— that Jane. She just won’t do.
    I shall again follow your advice and cancel my flight to Houston. I guess Houston has a problem.

marlingardener likes this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Processing honey tomorrow.

11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Monday afternoon all. Currently 24°C and overcast.
    A different kind of day at work today due to rain, helping with things inside this morning and working on the walking trails this afternoon. Then I met my sister to pick up some stainless posts for tomato stakes in exchange for some of my garden produce. When I got home I walked the dog and picked a whole basket of beans, and some more cucumbers. There are 20 here now, I'd better figure out something to make with all those cucumbers!
    Out to close the greenhouse door and then its time to relax - maybe I can finally read that magazine I bought myself Saturday!
    Have a great evening all :)

marlingardener and Sjoerd like this.
  12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Happy Friday to you all! The gentleman from the window replacement company is coming this morning to estimate the cost of replacing our kitchen windows. The windows are old, and weren't of the best quality to begin with. I'll try to recover from sticker shock in time to fix lunch.
    Nice dinner of Ahi tuna and a salad with our cherry tomatoes tonight. Tuna is one of my husband's favorites, and this is to reward him for all the marvelous things he's done this week.
    Hope you all are rewarded, too!

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Sounds good, Marlin.
    Sorry about the sticker shock.

Watching England vs Colombia today.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
  14. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 17°C and overcast. There is rain in the forecast this morning, so I shall spend my morning canning beans and puttering around the house.
    I had a surprise visit from the grandkids last night, and I loved every second of it! They helped me pick a whole basket of cucamelons - and then ate them all haha My SIL brought along his drone and took some overhead shots of the gardens, and my daughter wandered around with her good camera. We chatted for a while and then they packed up and went home. It was a great visit!
    Have a great day all :)

Sjoerd and marlingardener like this.
  15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, I had to look up "cucamelon" since I had never heard of it. Good gracious girl, you have such a varied and interesting garden!

Netty likes this.