The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 16°C and overcast. Passing rain showers are in the forecast for this morning.
    Yesterday turned out to be a wild weather day. The weatherman was way off - he predicted a rainy morning and a sunny afternoon. Instead we got a sunny morning and a wicked storm in the afternoon, complete with large hail. This was the second hail storm here this week! It was probably the largest hail I have seen, and thankfully the damage wasn't as bad as it could have been. I did have some very unhappy plants - shredded leaves on hostas, pumpkins and cucumbers. My basil looks horrible, my peppers have broken branches and the cucumbers were hit incredibly hard. Tomato plants were blown over and damaged, but thankfully there was lots of foliage on them to shield the fruits. The way the tomatoes were blown over uncovered some unnoticed horn worm damage as well, but I was unable to find them. Hopefully they were hailstoned to death haha I did lose the row cover on the cabbage - it is full of holes. My friend just a few concession roads over had her glass top patio table shattered, cover all buildings shredded and car windshields broken.
    Lets hope mother nature doesn't do that again!
    I've got a small bushel of early apples to process today, and then hopefully some time in the garden.
    Have a great day all :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, so sorry for the hail damage you sustained. "It wasn't as bad as it could have been"--your attitude is admirable!
    We aren't doing much today. I folded sheets. The fitted sheets put up a good fight, but I prevailed! My darlin' husband is in his workshop, rigging up a new hanger for my corn dryer, which I use to hang and dry herbs. He also is setting up the trail camera for tonight. We have raccoons drinking all the water in the bird waterer, and he wants a photo of them. How he is going to identify the culprits, I don't know. They all look alike.
    Hope you all have a good day!

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Our heat has abated, at least temporarily! Woke up this morning to 71 cool blessed degrees. It won't last, but we will enjoy it while we have it.The windows are open, the cat is frolicing in the back yard, and all three of us are so happy!
    Hope you all have a happy day, too.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am happy to hear it has abated.

marlingardener likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We watched England play Oz this morning. Congrats are in order.

6. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 14°C and sunny. Yesterday was a very cool and wet day and felt more like fall. I didn't even go out to my garden yesterday!
    But I was out there bright and early picking the peas and cucumbers. Today I have to deal with the pickings of the week ... cabbage, cucumbers, beans, cucamelons, tomatoes and some early apples. I'm planning on making and canning red cabbage and apples, apple sauce, and green beans. Once that is done I can head out to the garden to pick the rest of the tomatoes and then decide if I'm going to freeze them or make sauce. I have a feeling I'll be freezing them until there is enough to make sauce to can. Gotta love harvest time!
    Its going to be another busy day!

Sjoerd and marlingardener like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I love it too. It is such fun…and rewarding.

8. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 17°C and sunny. There is a cool breeze that feels rather fallish.
    Well, my cabbage and apples turned out horrible. I was distracted for a moment and the bottom burned just a little bit, that when stirred sent a burnt flavor through the entire batch. Not sure that I can save it. I was smart enough to step away when I was flustered, so that will be this mornings job.
    This afternoon I'll drop off DDs skates for sharpening and do a little shopping.

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, even the best of cooks (of which you are one) gets a bit distracted and flustered. Don't worry, we all make minor mistakes!
    Today is so hot that we did the minimum outside early, and have been relaxing inside. I did a bit of laundry, fixed lunch, and will watch golf with husband this afternoon. Boorrriing, but he enjoys golf, and I can fake interest while I do a crossword puzzle!

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Rain, beautiful rain! We have rain, which we haven't had since mid-June! There was thunder, and we thought that the rain would miss us, but we had two lovely downpours come through and the promise of more. Temperatures have dropped from 105 to 78 degrees, and we are thinking of turning off the air conditioning and opening windows tonight. This is so welcome:)!

Sjoerd likes this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Enjoy that coolness, Marlin. It is such a relief, isn’t it. It will be so good if you can get those windows open tonight and the airco off.

Everything hunky-dory there, Netty?…or are you still scrubbing and chipping that pan?

12. Netty

Good Wednesday afternoon all. Currently 15°C and overcast. It sure feels like fall out there, but there's a heatwave forecast for next week.
    Its been a busy few weeks and my routine has been completely thrown out the window! I can not wait for the upcoming long weekend so I can get some of my own things done around here! Work has been busy, DD and I were at the rink lots, throw in grandkids, yard work, harvest and canning and a couple of birthdays and there was only time left to sleep! I also had new appliances delivered on the weekend and we had to dismantle half the kitchen just to get the fridge moved out and the new one moved in!
    Tomatoes are coming in strong and there isn't any room left in the freezer, on the harvest table or in the greenhouse. Beans and cucamelons need picking every other day or so, I have more cucumbers and zucchini than any one family needs and the plums are ready to be picked. Harvest time is crazy busy, and I feel so blessed but I am exhausted!!

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Today was Food Bank day. Out we went to the allotment complex this morning to collect our veg. We walked over the terrein and collected from other donors as well. The complex has about 200 gardens, so it was a good walk, pulling a wagon with crates. It is a weekly job and usually goes without a hitch. Today though, it was pouring with rain. Man, oh man did we get soaked. I had on a rain jacket, so it was only the trousers and shoes that got wet. My Bride borrowed a windbreaker of mine that was once a rain jacket. She surmised that the rubber coating had disintegrated. Oh dear.

Luckily we had demoted hiking clothes on. They were made of a special light-weight material that dried out very quickly.

We dropped off the six crates of veg and headed home for a cuppa. What a morning!

Netty— that sounds like our situation here. Busy, busy, busy. Like you, I am very pleased.

Netty likes this.
  14. Netty

Good Thursday evening all. Currently 17°C and sunny.
    Another busy day, and I've just come in from the garden with 2 pails of plums, a pail of tomatoes, a basket of cherry tomatoes, a cucumber and 3 giant zucchini. I've got both crock pots full of tomatoes that are going to cook down overnight and another pail in the wait. DD is going to reload the crock pots tomorrow while I'm at work and on saturday I hope to can it all up. I'm looking for a plum sauce recipe that I can also can up ... anyone here have one?
    Heat wave coming this weekend - of course it is, because I plan to be canning! UGH
    Have a great night all :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Just reading your post makes me wipe the sweat from my brow. Whew!