The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Jane—What a shame your FB doesn’t accept basil. Ours do take it, but I do not know if people actually choose to take it. There are things like Swiss Chard, home made chutneys and jams as well as oversized courgettes and pumpkin-sorts that our Food Bank asked us no longer to bring.

I am just happy that they tell us this so that things do not have to be wasted.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, our food bank won't accept home-canned goods, but any fresh produce is most welcome. I was taking a bag of squash in and a lady asked me what I had. I told her and she wanted one. The bag had to be weighed and entered in their log, and then I handed her one. She was all but in my back pocket to make sure she got a squash!
    We had new kitchen windows installed yesterday, so today is getting everything back on the countertops and on the window sills. I never realized how much "stuff" there is in the kitchen!
    The workmen were efficient, neat, and very hard working. The new windows look so good and open and close much more easily. They are also more energy efficient. Can you tell I'm pleased?

Sjoerd and Netty like this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have to tell you Jane that the FB workers that take fruit and veg meant for the poor folks does not sit well with me. Just the idea that they see nothing wrong with taking food meant for someone who cannot afford to buy themselves enough food is a sticking point for us.
    We have had that sort of experience and almost stopped giving because of it. We had a word with the boss.

Daniel W and Melody Mc. like this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, the previous manager of our local food bank "skimmed." Cucumbers we donated were taken by him, a vacuum cleaner also went to one of the volunteers, and he sold his eggs at the food bank! The board replaced him and all is on the up-and-up now.
    When donating, one has certain expectations as to who receives your gift. When in doubt, check with the governing body.
    Glad you didn't stop donating--you handled that situation well.

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Those things you describe are worse than at our FB (as far as I know). Those practices are so frustrating and infuriating. The FB here is also now on the up and up. I am quite happy with this development.
    I know you are also happy that things there have changed.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
    Melody Mc. and marlingardener like this.
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We had rain today! It rained a bit last night, and this morning we got more. About 1 1/2 inches so far. We needed it so much! The gardens have perked up, we actually saw puddles (which we had almost forgotten what they looked like), and the sky is still overcast and holding promise of more rain.
    Since outside work was not possible, I made a shrimp and pasta salad for tonight and husband took some donations to the food pantry for their thrift shop. Referring to my previous post, I'm sure the donations won't be "skimmed" and what we donate will go to those in need, and the donations to the thrift shop, when sold, will finance more of the monetary needs of the food pantry.

Netty, Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Busy day ahead in the lottie today.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Overcast and not blazing hot today. Such a pleasant change!
    I have a Boston butt pork roast in the slow cooker to make pulled pork to stash in the freezer. Husband really likes pulled pork, and a pulled pork sandwich is always a quick and tasty lunch.
    Rain is in the forecast for today, but by the looks of the sky it would seem the local weather forecasters are wrong, yet again. However, we keep hoping . . . .
    May all your hopes be met today!
    We did get rain today! Not as much as forecasted, but rain is always welcome, in any amount. Our hopes were met today!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
    Sjoerd and Melody Mc. like this.
  9. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Today is going to be a busy outside day. I have two days of unusually warm afternoons before highs of 13 and lows of -4 arrive. They have been calling for lows of 10, but we are frosting our pumpkins every night at 0,or -1.

The last of the grass needs to mowed and the mowers winterized today. As well as some garden clean out, and the last of the carrots coming up. Angus needs a bath...which ( with the hoses away) means I take the hairy beast into the shower with me once the afternoon sun comes out. What a comedy show that is. The bathroom gets a thorough wipe down afterwards and I resemble a sasquatch.

I am making "bird buns" right now, loaded with nuts and seeds, and sodium free, for the Gray Jays and chickadees. I have to be mindful to not attract more rodents, so they will only be hand fed when they fly in for the snack.

Angus likes to walk in the heavy frost - he loves winter and I'm sure he thinks it is the first snow. :)

DSCN9992.JPG

I gave my tomato and pepper harvest to my kids when they came to visit. As well as five bags of carrots, potatoes, squash, chard, kale, onions and some corn. The springs were flat on her little car from the weight of veggies. :) Life wasn't cooperating with me being able to find the time to do a lot of canning/processing. My daughter was so excited, and has been sending me photos of her canned riches, frozen treats and soups/stews. It makes my heart very happy.

Daniel W, Sjoerd and marlingardener like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Whew! That sounded like a very busy day indeed.
    Your kid must have been over the moon. She’ll be back for more.

That dog will have the time of his life. Sasquatch don’t scare him. He’ll get out in the sun and you can watch the steam rise. Is that how you dry off as well. Hahaha.

Your temps seem so cool.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 8°C and sunny.
    I've got some frozen tomatoes in the sink thawing, and another basket full of fresh to be put into the crockpot for cooking down. This is the last load, Finally! There are still a few for eating and lots of cherry tomatoes for the tik tok pasta recipe that is now my daughters favourite meal. I'm going to pull the last of the tomato plants and cucumber plants and start the garden cleanout. As much as I'm usually in denial that summer is over, this year I am embracing it. Its been a busy, busy summer and I'm ready to start the garden clearout before the skating season starts in full force on October 2. Looks like we are going to be at the rink 6 days a week starting then!
    Have a great day all :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

IMG_3058.jpeg IMG_3057.jpeg

Caught a pic of this guy in my popular tree. He looks like a bob cat been finding scat in the pastures. There have been several sightings here lately. I didn’t notice the cat in the tree until I cam in to check the pics I took of the trees changing color. see what you all think…they usually are out only at night.

We had a bob cat attack the horses a couple years ago. You could see the claw marks on both sides of the horse’s belly. Wild animal control came out and set traps. Never got him. But when I ride down the canyon trails behind where we live, I see fresh road kill - rabbits on dirt path. Leaving my horses jittery they smell the cat , like we interrupted dinner.

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 12°C and overcast. Weatherman says we are getting rain today.
    I've got a pumpkin roasting in the oven, and will make some pumpkin pie bread and freeze the rest. Laundry is almost done and the bathroom needs a good scrubbing. The house is a mess so I think a rain day is exactly what I need today!
    Have a great day all :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, great minds think alike! I have two pie pumpkins baking in the oven. When done, I'll puree the pulp and freeze it for pumpkin pecan bread to add to Christmas platters.
    More basil harvested, and some cherry tomatoes. The plants really appreciate the rain we've received, and the cooler weather. The humans and cat appreciate also.
    Hope you all have a good Sunday and have lots to appreciate.

Sjoerd likes this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Pac— curious pic for me. I could imagine that the beast in the pic could be a wild cat, but the markings look wrong for the wildcats that I have seen piccies of. Of course I do not know anything about those critters, we do have lynx here…but they look different. I cannot see the cat’s ears and tail well—that might help with identification. Somehow that beast looks domestic, but looks large..
    Anyhow, great to see you back, and of course this interesting foto.

Canning today.

Melody Mc. likes this.