The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 12°C and sunny.
    It was a busy week, trying to get things done before skating starts up 6 days a week on Monday. I was extremely annoyed with the car dealership after my oil change on Wednesday. They adjusted my seat, changed my radio station and changed the display on the dash. Then the sticker they add for the next service was 6000km off! Sounds trivial, I know, but it really irked me LOL Finished off with my extra garden job for this year on Thursday, and had skating Friday night. Today, I hope to get the planters on the porch cleaned up and the fall decorations put out for our Thanksgiving dinner next weekend. I guess the count down starts at work, should be just about a month until I am done for the year. October is going to be a crazy month!
    Have a great day all :)

Melody Mc. likes this.
  2. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

It will be exciting to start skating season for you @Netty , and thankfully wind down at work soon. I hope your prep for Thanksgiving goes well. :)

We are having three hours of glorious sunshine during the late afternoon day after the mountain cloud/fog burns off. The leaves are so lovely. Things have been very busy around the farm, and with all of the critters that come along as a bonus. Tomorrow is more gravel on the driveway entrance to try and make a burm so that we are not flooded out. After tomorrow we will throw our hats to winter and spring - Mother Nature will call the shots.

It was the first wood stove fire of the year today and I'm grateful. The damp has left the house and it is finally cozy.

Happy Autumn to all - and if you get to enjoy a change of seasons like I do, I'm very happy for you. Change is good :)

Netty and marlingardener like this.
  3. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

@Melody Mc. on your possum question, we have lots of possums! They are NOT cute to look at. I think they are a good part of the ecosystem, eating slugs and snails and bugs. They also love eating grapes.

Today I installed the Starlink.

IMG_4487.jpeg

It's about 100% better than our prior internet. We had some via hardwire - terrible reception, slow, and unreliable. Then via cellular hotspot - ditto. We'll see how this does over the long term but for now it's amazing. I secured the antenna feet into the roof beams using 3" screws. I want to install a better bracket, but this should hold until then.

This watch was a gift from an Apple enthusiast who bought the next new model. As I was delivering meals, I felt my wrist vibrate before each turn. The watch was receiving from the GPS and notifying me, even though I didn't set it up for that.

IMG_4446.jpeg

It also vibrated when I got a phone call, even though the phone ringer had turned itself off (again). I'm not really a tech enthusiast, but it seems to be unavoidable.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

This is good news, Daniel. Those receivers are not seen here.
    Just out of curiosity, how do you determine what location to place that new piece of kit?

Lucky you, getting that watch. I am wondering what you will think of it after using it for a year.

Daniel W likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 12°C and sunny. The fall colors are starting to show now, and there's a definite fall feeling in the air.
    Heading out to harvest some corn stalks this morning for the fall decorating at work this week. I might get a few stalks for myself, as I've moved my pumpkins and Chrysanthemums up to the porch. I'm feeling festive!

Daniel W and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

The only experience I have of GPS other than my sat nav, is last week when I had to hire an electric golf trolley, as I'd forgotten to bring the battery with mine.
    Our club's hire trolleys have sat nav to tell you how far you are from each pin. I didn't use it as if you know your own course, by the time you reach the ball you more often or not have already decided which club you're going to use.
    It was raining during my round so I had my brolly up in the holder on the trolley. I don't know whether it was because the brolly is supposed to have UV protection, but the trolley's sat nav kept losing the signal.
    We have cable TV and internet, supposedly plus 360mg. We also have Freeview digital TV, so we've a choice.
    The aerial for the digital TV is a dipole one I put in the loft space for the analogue signal from Winter Hill forty years ago.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
    Daniel W and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Congratulations on the watch...and good luck on the vibrating wrist hahaha. I've been eyeing those sattelite systems. I downloaded the free app to see how well my service would be with it, and with the mountain it is a little bit of an issue. I'm sure it would be better and more reliable than I have now however. An interesting note...my sattelite service guy told me last year that the heater that keeps the dish clear from ice and snow, also causes melt onto the cable at the bottom?? People in cold climates were having an issue with the cable being iced up an breaking. I don't know if they remedied this.

We we were on a back logging road last week, we came across some hunters in a motor home, and sure enough they had a star link sat set up on the roof of the RV. I guess they were Glamping hahaha. I lot of the adds for it here now are suggested for RV folks. I've heard that it is a great system though, so congrats on the more reliable service. :)

Daniel W and Doghouse Riley like this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Happy first day of October! We didn't do much today--just relaxed and petted the cat. Back into "get it done" mode tomorrow, but a day off sure is nice.
    Hope you all have a good week to come!

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Potting-up the last of the toms this mourning.(just teasing, Jane)

marlingardener likes this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well, this maunin' (southern for morning or mourning, take your pick!) I have made a pasta salad with salmon flakes, done some laundry, and discussed with my husband where to plant our garlic. I favor the sandy soil in a raised bed in back of the barn, he favors the denser soil in the raised bed in the barn lot. After a lively discussion, we may put garlic in both places! Remember when I was explaining why we had so much basil? We may be facing the same problem with garlic. Overplant is our mantra!
    Hope you all have lively discussions and a pleasant day.

Netty and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Always a winning strategy, Jane.

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We have rain! It started around midnight and has been off and on since. We lost electricity for about four hours. I think it's a ploy by the electric company to make us appreciate the time it's on. Not working, that ploy.
    Since it is soppy out and more is predicted for the rest of the day I shall spend time in the kitchen baking pumpkin pecan bread and brewing up a vat of chicken stock. Husband is getting a day off from outside chores and we haven't discussed his plans for day, nor the plans I'm making for him. He may go hide in the workshop!

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Netty

Good Thursday afternoon all. Currently 21°C and overcast. We've been in a heatwave, smashing all kinds of temperature records this week, but thats about to change. Rain beginning tonight and it looks like it might rain until Tuesday. We need the rain badly, and I do need to clean house this weekend so I'm OK with it. We have Thanksgiving this weekend so I've got the whole family coming for dinner on Sunday. One more day to go and the weekend begins!

Sjoerd likes this.
  14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

It's Saturday, but I wanted to wish Netty an early very happy Thanksgiving with her family on Sunday. And I wish her a very relaxing and "day off" on Monday after all the cooking and cleaning.
    Nothing much going on today--husband is prepping the generator for winter (with our unreliable electric service, we will likely need it), and I'm freezing chicken stock and doing a bit of cleaning in the kitchen. I admit, I am a messy cook!
    Have a great weekend, all!

Netty likes this.
  15. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Sjoerd, a cellphone app comes with the antennae. You hold the cellphone facing the sky in various directions, and it tells you how strong the signal is. Once it's hooked up, the system moves the receiver around to optimize the signal. It's kind of amazing!

Mel, you can still use the antenna, if you move the mountain. Also, ours showed a tree was in the way, but not too bad. It actually doesn't seem to affect the signal so far. Depends on how much of an issue, I guess.

Ypu might need my mailing address so you know where to send a loaf. :)

Melody Mc. and marlingardener like this.