The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Ditto Netty. Take care of the eye. It's important that whatever is in it isn't your finger. ;) I'm sorry you're so run down. It is very reasonable to see why. Even the Energizer Bunny needs to recharge batteries my Canadian cousin. Take good care of yourself.

The temp is still one degree off from getting a fun picture, but this was close enough. The -38 C history on the bottom can please stay away for a lot longer.

Temp on October 29, 2023.jpg

The full moon was still out this morning.

Full moon.jpg

I have a little person coming to Trick or Treat today, and I'm so so excited. He's only four, so no scary stuff is being put out - just some goofy pumpkins and spiders. Only a few of us have raised children out here, so it's important to try and accommodate and include the usual activities town kids get as much as we can. I've arranged for a few homes within a 10 km radius to have treats for him today. His parents have a very busy business at home and cannot do Halloween on Halloween. I made caramel corn all morning ( for the big kids too) and some treat bags. Can't wait. I miss little people. :)

Daniel W and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Nice weather station.

3. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Mel, here's that moon a little south of you :stew1:
    IMG_3668.jpeg

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

WOW!!!!!!! Beauty!

Daniel W likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Monday afternoon all. Currently 3°C and overcast with scattered showers. When I left for work this morning it was 0 degrees and there was slush on my windshield. Then it started to rain. It was a cold day to work outside, but I did get lots done.
    My eye seemed to fix itself... whatever it was had left just as quick as it came.
    Sunday night I got 10.5 hours of sleep, so that helped my energy level.
    Hoping to be done work at the end of this week.
    Have a great day all :)

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I had a contractor over about the plans for a new, senior-friendly and improved bathroom. Lots to consider.

I decided to also add windows on the South side of the house - for that bathroom, and my home office / spare room / sewing and computer room. It will bring in a lot of light if I do it. It's some trouble and expense now, but I think it's worth it. Winter here is so gloomy.

BBC mystery tonight.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We did that a couple of years ago. I was chuffed with the result. When the old age comes, I will be ready, not just in the bathroom. Drempels— no drempels. Nowhere.
    BTW— which BBC crimi did you watch?

Melody Mc. likes this.
  8. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Hoping it rains all day today so I don't have to do anything LOL.

@Sjoerd, last night I watched the finale for season 2 of Annika.

We have watched a lot of the BBC mysteries. I like this one, Annika, and also liked Endeavor, Shetland, Foyles War, Broadchurch, The Long Call, and some I forget. I started Luther but it was too violent for me. I like anything based on Anne Cleeves books.

I changed the birdfeeder outside my window to one with a smaller perch area. Now the Stellar Jays don't dominate as much and there are a lot more smaller birds.

Today I sent in the Rare Seeds order (Baker Creek). Some miniature, seed - grown dahlia seeds, marbled Four O'Clocks, Portulaca, a Japanese small melon that might or might not produce in this cool climate, Alaska Mix Nasturtium, Dragon Tongue bush beans, Landreth Stringless bush beans. Most should do OK in the large containers with drip lines. No more tall growing beans for me :)

I haven't decided if I should plant some sort of shallow rooted groundcover on the containers with spring blooming bulbs, or just let them dry out in the summer. I'm thinking Portulaca, or low sedums, or strawberries. Maybe those low growing Alaska nasturtiums.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I watch and like some of the ones you have listed as well. The new season of Shetland airs here tonight, I believe. I think it is without Perez, but am not sure.

Melody Mc. and Daniel W like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It was without Perez.
    It is going to be an interesting series, I believe.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Perez sort of painted himself into a corner, didn’t he. Pity.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  12. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Happy Thursday. I have a window of internet right now, so popping onto the Stew and looking at my grocery order. I don't think our dish is aligned properly yet, so the slightest cloud cover knocks it out. I'll take another stab at it when the weather improves. We are bouncing between snow and sleet right now. The ground is frozen so any rain is freezing on impact - which is fun fun fun. (not). A good time to stay home.

The heavy equipment finally arrived today to clear out the culverts. Twelve beavers were removed in total! No wonder they couldn't keep the culverts clear and the dam is so huge. The path of the creek has changed now, so hopefully with the all six culverts ( they were so overgrown I thought there was five) we will survive the spring freshet without a washout. I'm so glad to see the crews cleaning them out. They will be using a log with heavy equipment to clean out the mud in the culverts. It is an exciting day.

Sjoerd and Daniel W like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That does sound interesting, Mel. I am trying to picture it now.

Good luck with getting your dish sorted. We miss seeing you here.

14. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Sunday morning all. Currently just 3°C and overcast.
    What a busy week! Found out Tuesday that my last day of work was Friday, and so I worked like crazy to get all the work done. What a relief to be done and able to start working around my own house! Yesterday, after the rink, we went to a celebration of life. When we finally got home it was too late to do much so we had dinner and then an early night. With the time change I finally managed to get caught up on my sleep and I am full of energy! Lots of work to get done outside today before the next 2 days of predicted rain.
    Have a great day all :)

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey Netty— What exactly do you mean by “a celebration of life”?

Tis good to hear that you are caught up on sleep now. Well deserved.

Melody Mc. likes this.