The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Monday morning all. Currently 5°C and overcast.
    I had a restless night last night - I guess I'm TOO well rested!
    I'm taking my time having a cup of tea and playing on the computer, before starting some cleanup.
    A celebration of life is what people have when someone passes and they don't want a funeral. Instead of a church or graveside service, which the immediate family will have, there is a large gathering of friends and family celebrating the life of the person that has passed away. In this case, a friend had terminal cancer and expressed that he didn't want anyone to cry but to enjoy a meal and some drinks and remember him in a happy way. He chose the menu, the venue, the music and who he wanted to speak. It really was a lovely way to remember him.
    Have a great day all :)

Daniel W and Melody Mc. like this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks for explaining that, Netty. It sounds very nice. Yeah, I like the sound of that. Respect…for that man.

3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I'm here for an evening pop on before going to fetch the firewood and feed Puddins this evening. Hubby is on the phone so I have a few minutes. :) We were a low of 2 last night with an incredible amount of rain. The creek is up which is nice to see. Tomorrow is a town day with two appointments, so instead of packing a lunch to eat on the way home we are having a burger and fries, treat of our daughter's gift card. IIIII'm pretty excited about that. They wrap my burger in lettuce which is very thoughtful. And I can order sweet potato fries which is even more fun. It's a pretty big deal hahaha. Have a wonderful evening. :)

Willowisp0801, Daniel W and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That sounds tasty to me after a long day in town. Yum.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 7°C and overcast with strong NW winds.
    I have a bit of skating business to do, and then I'm diving into fall cleaning. This place is a mess!

6. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

We've had a challenging couple of days. In September I took Rufus to a new vet, mainly to get heartworm prevention and flea/ tic prevention, but they required a "full physical". She said he had a cracked tooth that might need extracting, he needed a teeth cleaning.

I worried what would happen with anesthesia. Also, he had to be there all day, which I knew would distress him a lot. Yesterday was the day.

All went OK. The tooth only needed a sealer, not extraction, big relief. He's still subdued and spacey after anesthesia, but more himself this am.

So that concern is passed. Rufus will get a walk this morning, I'll get my RSV vaccination (so many shots this year!), and his chicken thighs + hearts are in the slow cooker, to make a batch of his meals this pm.

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a busy man and doggie. It is good to have everything in order though innit.

8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Daniel W - I'm happy to hear Rufus is okay. That would be stressful for you and your fur baby - anesthesia is hard on an older pooch. Now you can both relax...together.

Good job getting the RSV vaccination. My son, as a wee babe, contracted RSV and I almost lost him. We were in hospital together for quite some time, had a couple ambulance rides between our hospital and a larger city centre that specialized in little people, and I had to do physiotherapy on his lungs for many months. His lungs were weakened by the virus and he contracted was hospitalized with pneumonia four times after. It was very hard on his immune system. I wish they had that vaccine back then. Kids and elderly were dying in the Yukon from it that year. Sounds like you have a good cocktail going on this year Buddy. :) The joke in this house is that we have more vaccine than blood coursing through our veins hahahaha.

Daniel W likes this.
  9. Netty

Good Friday morning all. Currently 6°C and sunny. The sun is a nice change from the overcast skies all week!
    I'm slowly getting back into my off season routine. Yesterday was my first errand and shopping Thursday. It sure is nice not to be in a hurry all the time!
    Today I'm torn between housework and yardwork ... it is sunny but it is still COLD!

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Welcome back to your off-season routine.

Melody Mc., Daniel W and Netty like this.
  11. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently -1°C and mostly cloudy.
    We are usually at the rink Saturday mornings, but today the arena is closed due to remembrance day. I'm hoping this is a nice day and I can go outside and get some fall cleanup done.
    There is still lots to do in the back flower beds, as well as around the trees out the front.
    Yesterday, I canned up a double batch of BBQ pulled pork. My son loves it, and these ready made meals are great for skating nights! Plus I don't have to worry about space in the freezer! Win win!

12. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

We went out to dinner for my Veteran's Day gift. For many years, I let the day pass. For some reason it matters more for me now.

That food, Pad Thai. I almost always choose that.

Today if it doesn't rain, will be leaf collecting.

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well Daniel, I want to wish you a happy veterans’ day. Veterans hold a special place in my heart, being one myself. I am sure that folks thank you all the time for your service.
    There is no veterans’ day here, but I think that many folks who have served sort of have a kind of “connection”. Anyway, you must be proud of your service time. Your experience is probably a mix of good and not so good experiences but as for me, I have nothing but respect for fellow soldiers.
    Enjoy your special day and meal. What did you eat on your big night out?

Melody Mc. likes this.
  14. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Pad Thai sounds like a nice treat Daniel. I hope you enjoyed going out to dinner - a night off of the kitchen. My respect to both you and Sjoerd for your service.

It's been a busy week here with firewood. I've been helping my senior neighbours get their wood split and stacked. They got a little behind and are 80 now, so we had a few work bees. He enjoyed it more than she did I think, because I brought cinnamon buns with cream cheese icing, and thermoses of tea and coffee each time .

We've had a few big windstorms, and when the power goes out for many hours it's a good sign to go find firewood for our home. The ballast is in the back of the plow truck so it is a little awkward to load the wood, but I have a system now. One more trip today to the far corner of our property where there was some dry standing pine last year. With a little luck I will come home with one more load today. The splitter is away for winter, so this will be dry stacked to be used if necessary in the late winter or spring, but it will have to be an axe job. I much prefer the little ones that don't need splitting. hahahaha

Hubby helped me router some signs for our daughter and her girlfriend for Christmas. I'm excited to get the firewood done so that I can paint and finish them. They are both cat moms, and their fur babies names are on the signs. They will be fun to paint.

And today I have to also clean out and organize the guest cabin. It is a tiny space and things need to be moved about, so with no snow today it is a good day to get it done.

I was looking forward to no chores, but as long as winter keeps teasing us I'll keep plugging along. :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It is always amazing how much work you are always doing, Mel…throughout the whole year.
    It would be nice if you showed pics of the signa you are planning to make. What a good idea to make them.

Oh, I remember having to chop wood for the winter.. it is hard graft, but I enjoyed it. It can be dangerous though. One time whilst chopping wood, the object of my ax work somehow flew up in my face and broke the skin on the bridge of my nose.

My Bride looked out the window to see what was going on when the chopping stopped. I walkef into our cabin and she complimented my nose-job. I told her it was all no big deal thet the split wasn't bleeding at all. She said that the white cartelige was showing like Liberace’s’ toothy grin, but there was a small trickle of blood coming down into my moustache. Haha. I wasn’t aware of that.

I was able to close the small cut with a couple of butterfly closures. It was totally healed in six days. W was well chuffed with my repair because Still to this day there is no scar.

The point is that every time you tell us about your lumberjack actions I always worry a wee bit about a crazy wayward piece shall fly up and give your little nose a peck.

Daniel W likes this.