The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mel— good thing that you and the deer have reached an understanding. You did those dog sounds so perfectly. It made me chuckle out loud.
    It sounds like you have a job in the stockroom. Well done.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

We had one yesterday.

I treated myself to a new printer last week. As is "customary," if I buy something, what will follow is that my wife will decide there's something she "needs." In this case a new air fryer.
    "You've got one, you've not used it for years."
    That's because it's not very good, the one I've seen is better."

So anything for a a quiet life..

It arrived yesterday (my printer hasn't yet!)
    We've a very small kitchen, so there's not a lot of working surfaces.
    The size was a bit outfacing. It'll have to live here.
    The toaster had to be moved from there.

[​IMG]

and the microwave had to go here. With the induction hob stored on top.

[​IMG]

The hob and the air fryer will share this space over the dishwasher, between the sink and the oven. There's a double socket at the back.

[​IMG]

We've no room now for any more appliances (although I noticed today there's space in the big carousel in the corner of the kitchen), where there are still several more "gadgets," soup maker, spare halogen hob etc.,

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  3. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

@Doghouse Riley that's quite the kitchen arrangement you have! I hope you like your new air fryer. We use ours a lot.

We bought a new induction hotplate. It's amazing - such rapid heating, much faster than gas. Also, fine tuning of heating is very responsive. We use it much more than the electric range now. I did discover that a few of my old stainless steel pots must really be a thin layer of stainless on aluminum, because they don't heat at all with induction. The new stuff, my gift / inheritance from my friend, works beautifully.

The downside is, we have a heater and microwave on the same circuit. We have blown the circuit breaker many times. Learning to adapt.

I spent a few hours selecting the items for the "accessible" and very modernized bathroom remodel. A lot of texting with the contractor. It's complicated!

Lots of rain, "Pineapple Express" bringing Pacific rains from Hawaii.

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

That's a beautiful kitchen DHR. I really like the backsplash. And a round kitchen sink is not something I've seen before. I like it very much. I have to go with your wife on the air fryer :D....I love what mine does but it is small and a little complicated to use because of the small size ( planning meals etc). I've been eyeing a larger one with an oven portion. Happy wife, happy life? hahaha. Your new one looks great. We use ours a lot, especially when it is too cold out to grill, or to hot out to cook indoors. I'd sure like more real estate in it though.

Doghouse Riley and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Today I bagged the giant pot of chili that I made yesterday. We won't have to make chili for a while. I'm finishing baking a fresh loaf of bread to take to my neighbour with some chili for their supper. She's worn out from a city doctor appointment yesterday, and this will give them a night off of cooking.

You can see the chili splatter debris field hahaha. Ahhh well.

giant chili pot.jpg

Giant pot of chili.jpg

And I finished my daughter's signs for her and her girlfriend for Christmas. I'm pleased with them and have accepted the wonky routering as part of the signs character. My grand cat Garrett is a real beauty and a little imp - always sneak attacking and busy. Ezio is the opposite and twice as big as Garrett. He likes to just hang out and be quiet company.

Garrett sign.jpg

Ezio sign.jpg

Pacnorwest, Sjoerd and Doghouse Riley like this.
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

@Melody Mc. those signs are perfect!

I spent a couple of hours at Lowes, making final selections for the crummy old, fall-risk bathroom - to- nice new, bright, senior accessible bathroom. I chose the new tub (with walk-in door), tile, flooring (non slip vinyl planks), faucets, vent fan (quiet), new light, toilet (high tech. partly due to size and shape, and modern functions). Also vanity (higher than the current one). All should arrive mid december.

I hired someone to do the demolition and rebuilding, plumbing and electrical. Also to add a nice south-facing window to bring in much more light.

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and Doghouse Riley like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mel—Those signs turned out really well. Chapeau.

…and that chili … oh dear, I’ll be right over.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thank you gentlemen. :) I appreciate it.

@Daniel W - that reno sounds fantastic. That is very exciting. The window is such a good idea also.
    @Sjoerd - there always be two seats at my table for you. :)

Winter came today. I'm not sure for how long. It's very white and blustery outside. Yesterday we went to the big lake that is close by for a walk. It was too cold with the wind to try and fish. This lake rarely freezes over. When it does it is very short term, as it is so deep and prone to very big waves. There's many boats at the bottom. We could see the first snow storm blowing in.

First winter storm.jpg

My daughter's wreath received two thumbs up. She loves it.

Wreath no lights.jpg

I decided to add some little battery twinkly lights for her.

Kyrstie's wreath.jpg

Pacnorwest, Sjoerd and Doghouse Riley like this.
  9. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

That wreath gets thumbs up from me too. It's beautiful!

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Mel, you’re a Legend.
    The wreaths are really lovely and capture the Spirit of The Christmas Season.
    That was a moody foto of the lake.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  11. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

It's a second wintery day and very pretty outside. I'm glad that we do not have to drive anywhere until Tuesday. It is only -7, but with a windchill of -18. Angus and I had a bundle up walk this morning. I'm getting ready to make my seed filled bird buns for the grey jays, and have my washing machine running overtime on all of the bedding for my daughter's room. Today will be washing all of the walls, as well as getting the step ladder and an extension duster to clean her ceiling. It's a vaulted ceiling with logs and tongue and groove pine...AKA dust magnet. hahaha

Thank you for the kind words. :) :)

You're right about the lake Sjoerd. It is quite moody. We've had to spend an unplanned night at the far end of it when it has blown up. Another time we broke camp from a beach at 4 AM to try and make it home hugging the shore line. The ride in the speed boat is normally about twenty minutes. It took us over four hours to get home that time. There are warning signs posted at the boat launch at the beach telling people about how unpredictable and big the winds and waves can get.

It's a beautiful lake though. There are petroglyphs on the rock faces halfway down the lake. I can't imagine navigating the lake in canoes.

This photo is a little nicer :) The creek in front of our home with the first snow. It is very low water right now. I think it is interesting how they photos look almost black and white because of the snowy grey sky.

First big snow at the creek.jpg

First snow.jpg

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Gosh Mel, I really like that foto of your home and the majestic trees up behind it. It really is a calendar pic. No kidding. Yeah, I like that foto quite a lot. Well taken.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  13. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Winter Wonderland :stew1:

Melody Mc. likes this.
  14. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Monday morning all. Currently -3°C with a north wind.
    Woke up to snow on the ground! Not a lot, but enough to coat everything with white. It sure looks pretty!
    A busy morning with skating club related tasks to do, starting with a bank deposit then paying the bills. After that I have a mountain of laundry to fold from yesterday. Maybe I'll have a little time to put my (sore) feet up before we leave for the rink at 4:30.
    Have a great day all :)

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  15. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently -3°C and overcast. Its been a while since we've seen any sunshine and I'm feeling it. I'm thinking about getting one of those Sun lamps, anyone here have one? Do they work? Amazon sells several, and they range in price from $39 to $300.
    I've been trying to get some Christmas shopping done, but I'm really struggling this year. The grandkids already have everything, their parents do too, and I don't want to buy gifts that are going to sit at the back of their closets or break in a couple days. My struggle is real lol
    Just doing some chores around the house today.
    Have a great day all :)

Sjoerd and Melody Mc. like this.