The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Delighted to see you, Mel. Glad to hear all is well with yo and your big family. Sure did miss seeing you on here.

I am so chuffed that you were able to get some root trainers. I had to order some of mine from the UK as well. Good luck with those jewels.

Melody Mc. and Daniel W like this.
  2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Happy New Year to all of you! We are celebrating by watching the Rose Bowl parade (an annual parade held in Pasadena, California which has marvelous floats, horse groups, and marching bands.) We will fix a nice but simple dinner together, enjoy that, and listen to a DVD of Luciano Pavarotti.
    Today bodes well for 2014, I hope it does for everyone here.

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cheers For those well-wishes.

Have you been visited by the ghost of Christmas past, Jane?

Melody Mc. likes this.
  4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently -2°C and overcast. Weatherman says we'll see some sunshine today, but I'll believe it when I see it!
    A busy day ahead, with a couple of trips into town for various errands, and ending tonight with an hour at the rink.
    My son left last friday for a trip to a hunt camp with some buddies and he will be home today. I'm sure he will have lots of laundry for me haha
    Have a great day all :)

Melody Mc., Daniel W and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I had a shelf of old books. Some were in German in the old script. The oldest was published in 1820s. Some in late 1800s to 1920s. Some were about botany, chemistry, medicine, a couple of novels and travel books. I found a vintage bookstore in town and took them there. Perhaps a collector will want them. I gave them to the store.

It's a good feeling. I hadn't opened most in many years. I thought they might have historic or sentimental value, not necessarily $$$. It's time to move on with these things. I did keep a couple if more recent books from that shelf, and there are lots of newer books. Most of my reading is in ebooks now.

I opened the crate for the new bathroom vanity today. The stone top was broken!

IMG_5069.jpeg

The store said they will take it back, so it will be OK. It's just another complication.

Meanwhile, that bathtub order that the store cancelled... it came today. Meanwhile, the other one that I ordered is due to be delivered soon. Life is interesting!

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mate, I could read your accounts all day…but it isn’t good for me—you know, all that head scratching. Gôh, I am losging hair at an alarming rate.
    What a shame about the breakage.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  7. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

What a challenge you are having there @Daniel W - it is a good thing you are so organized! When it is all done it will be so worth it. What will you do with the second tub when it arrives?

We have had heavy wet snow and then freezing temps so the satellite dishes were covered in ice until today. So far so good. The plough will go back on the plough truck today as we are expecting some significant snow tomorrow. More seasonal temps of -29 are coming mid week, so the list is started for checking lightbulbs in the pump shack, crawl space, taking wood upstairs and cleaning off the porch of any items that could be damaged or in the way.

I tucked Christmas away until next year the day after our town day. It does always feel more open when that is done.

We have finished off season 12 of Blue Bloods, and are recording Season 13 on Sunday. Our daughter bought us the box set of Grey's Anatomy ( a show I've never watched) - 20 seasons! Oh my. That should keep us busy this winter. :) We never get to watch TV in the summer so this is nice, and not dependent on internet or TV.

Daniel W and Sjoerd like this.
  8. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Those are wonderful gifts! What are you thinking Angus Pupper's heritage will be?

You will put those root trainers to excellent use. Will you train you roots to sit, lie down, speak, fetch... "Good roots!"Actually, I think you will like them a lot!

And the vanilla... Nice!

Of course, the best gift was having family together with you.

@Netty, have a happy New Year!

@Sjoerd LOL! Splish Splash, I'm takin' a bath! Not yet...

The bathtub saga...

IMG_5078.jpeg

It left Spokane, WA at 4pm today, so should be in Portland tomorrow am. Maybe delivery on Monday? I live between Portland and Olympia, WA.

I don't know what to do with the second bathtub. I plan to contact the store to see if they will take it back.

Bathroom yesterday.

IMG_5062.jpeg

IMG_5067.jpeg

The blue tape marks where the window will be.

It looks so bad. I feel embarrassed to show the "before" image. This is one of only a couple of rooms that I didn't renovate already.

Bathroom today at noon.

IMG_5081.jpeg

And tonight.

IMG_5085.jpeg

Is it too late to change my mind and keep the old bathroom?

They also took out the soffit, and the wall and ceiling will be smooth. I will add insulation to the outside wall (They didn't insulate it when they built the house. Really sad!). And I will tell them to insulate the tub, and replace what was in the soffit.

The main glitch was, when they removed the tub, something happened to the valve (they took it off and lost it) and there was no way to stop the water except turn off the house water. Then they left and went to a meeting.

Well now. So while they were away. I dis-assembled the ball valve that was on the old discarded sink, and installed it where the bathtub was. That let me turn it off, and the house has water now.

That's all until Monday, I guess. Rufus will have to find someone else to bark at.

Frank, Sjoerd and Melody Mc. like this.
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Sorry Daniel … I can understand all the no ending issue after issue. That is exactly why I quit trying to update my home. I have done every room, replaced everything from plumbing, heating, roofs and more. It’s all the unnecessary in between stuff , lack of planning , blah, blah, blah…excuses & …

Renovation is awful, but when the mess is bigger than expected and to many things go wrong , it's a nightmare.
    I hate renovation. I mean I really, really, really hate it. I’d much rather scoop out a 120 horse barn with all that recycled hay which is far better than the anxiety and frustration of renovation.

Yes, the results are lovely, but all the in between stuff, makes me crazy.

Now, I know most people feel this way about the process. No one likes a mess, no one likes being put out and certainly no one like the stress, decisions and unexpected expenses.

I get all of that, but let's face it, no pain, no gain. In the end when it’s all said and done it will be totally worth it.

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

WOW DANIEL!!!! This is so so exciting! Don't be embarrassed at all my friend. I'm so happy you shared the before, during and I really look forward to the after. It will be so much brighter!
    I can't believe they left you without water for the weekend with something that was their fault. Good for you for being such a problem solver. That was bad business on their part.
    That new window will be a huge improvement. Except.....:sete_010::sete_062: :snicker:

Sjoerd and marlingardener like this.
  11. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

The root trainers will hopefully train me to have a little more patience, speak my mind a little less often, and maybe.....to enjoy house work. ( HAH! no way :) )

When we adopted Angus and his litter mate brother from the rescue almost nine years ago, we were told they were Malamute Sheppard X. Truth be told of the 11 babies ( or 13...can't remember...), they were the only two that were reddish brown. More red than brown. All of the other pups looked like huskies - white and black coats, shortish hair and blue eyes etc.

The mom and new born babies were rescued behind a pub in an Alley. The mom was young and overwhelmed so everyone at the shelter took turns bottle feeding - which explains why Angus is very mushy. :)

I think Angus does have the Malamute ( he molts three times a year), and some Sheppard. His brother looked more Sheppard than he does. My final mix guess is either Stafford Terrier or Rhodesian Ridge back. He has the big head and Staffy smile, but when something is amiss, his hair all stands up on end on his back. I bumped into a man at the vet who bread Rhodies and told me that he thought that was Angus' dominant breed.

TWO weeks! Until I find out. ( and counting). Apparently they do allow for mixed breeds that can't be identified, so I may just get a Mutt rating hahahaha. But that is fine by me, as curious as I am. He's the best mutt going. :heart:

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Netty

Good Sunday morning all.Currently -6°C and overcast. We had a little bit of snow last night, so it at least looks a little like winter now.
    I gave my daughter an extra week with the Christmas tree, but today its coming down. Time to get back to normal around here.
    Then a good cleaning in the livingroom!

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

That will be a lot of fun to find out. Maybe he's royalty!

Rufus is lab and poodle. His coat is poodle, his body is lab. His personality and temperament are a mix of both. As a pup, I thought he was half Tasmanian Devil, but that seems to have dissipated. He still gets occasional zoomies.

The window glass will be textured. Light comes through but you cant see through it. There's no view anyway, just the neighbor junky yard.

That always makes for a nice feeling.

I spent the afternoon at Lowes trying to figure out when the bathtub will arrive, and whether they ordered the replacement vanity. I had lost the tub receipt and also wanted to know if the correct one was ordered which affects the plumbing and accessibility. That was more "people time" than I like, since I speak "human" as a second language and dealing with people is stressful for me. In the end, all questions were answered, more or less.

After Lowes, I had a fast food "Beyond (meatless) burger" and fries. I would be happy without the "beyond", just a slice of cheese and the works, but I understand that's how the business works.

Sjoerd and Melody Mc. like this.
  14. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Currently -1°C and overcast. I am hoping we will see a little peek of some sunshine today.
    I've been on my dog walk, had a hot shower, and now breakfast and a coffee. I cleaned off/out my desk yesterday and its so nice to sit at a clutterless desk!
    More cleanup today, I'm trying to declutter again

Sjoerd likes this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

After a brisk walk in the park, we were cold from that freeing wind, so it was hot cocoa with marshmallows.
    6F7FFE54-1EC6-4FC4-8B6C-1194343345F5.jpeg

Daniel W, Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.