The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

We are slowly warming to a low of -30 without the windchill, and a high of -20. Hubby bundled up to take a stab at adjusting our internet dish, which turned out to be a problem of masses of ice on the screws, rods and cables. We had freezing rain just before the artic air, so now we patiently wait for the world to warm up enough to melt everything. :) Hit and miss until then for internet which is okay.

Tomorrow our snow starts, and it is supposed to snow for three days. We kept the town appointment for tomorrow as we also need some groceries, but we moved the trip to the city from Wednesday to next Monday when the weather is safer.

Pac that is crazy cold for Oregon! Even in the mountains. My daughter lived there for quite a while when she was taking her Doctorate. She had some heavy snow and ice every year, but nothing like that. I'll have to let her know - she still has a lot of friends there.

My daughters both received emergency alerts the last two days in the province of Alberta for power usage and a warning of brown outs. Everyone was asked to only use their microwaves instead of ovens, unplug everything non essential, do not use their dryers and an extra request for people to not charge their electric cars. It was a bit scary for them, as they were warned of cycling outages and brown outs. When it is -42 C outside and you live in a Condo...not many options are there. Thankfully the province was given extra power from its two neighbouring provinces to get through the crisis, and people all pitched it to lower usage. It was a worry for us that is for sure. I'm glad it all worked out.

2. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Sjoerd, around here and in a storm, it's usually trees that have fallen on the power lines. In an ice storm, the ice can build up on the lines and they break from the weight.

I wondered why so many trees fell this time. There were many, mostly giant fir trees. I wonder if the summer droughts killed a lot of the roots. I don't know.

Thats a lot of work Netty. We are downsizing now too. One step at a time.

Mel you amaze me. I think you are made of much more durable DNA than I am. Im really glad your daughters got some power from neighboring provinces.

---------
    On the bathroom project... without going into detail, they have had some major screw ups. Plus, they often no-show, leaving me waiting for hours. Today I texted the contact guy in the parent company, asking what my options are to get out of the contract. I said, at this point I could do a better job myself, with fewer mess ups and a better final result. I also said I did not feel like they valued me as a home owner and customer, so why continue? I got a lot better treatment after that. There were a lot of apologies. We'll see if it translates to better work. I think in this time of online reviews, they need happier customers than in the past. Maybe.

Today I refinished a rusty cast iron skillet.
    IMG_5165.jpeg

I started a minor wooden box refinishing project, might post about it later.

3. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

My granddaughter's Papa, who lives in Washington State sent her a wooden box for her b'day. He drew a sunflower on it and I told her I'd paint it for her. I'm glad you mentioned your box, I got sidetracked with quilts and forgot about it. I have the paint and it won't take long to do since he has the picture drawn already. He sent me a knot hole bird house for Christmas. His woodworking skills are so nice! He has a saw mill so everything is done by him from start to finish.

Melody Mc., Daniel W and Pacnorwest like this.
  4. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I love my old Griswold cast iron. It gets used for almost everything!

Melody Mc., Daniel W and Pacnorwest like this.

Advertisement
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

We have cast iron pots and pans . They always come in handy during power outages, cooking on the wood burning stove. And cowboy speckled enamel coffee pots are a fav .

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Daniel—thanks for your take on the weather sit. I was curious because we do not often have power outages here, snow or no snow. Our city power lines are all underground.

That pan looks darn good. My Bride really likes cast iron pans but we do not have any more of them.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently -11°C and overcast with some light snow falling.
    I'm in the mood for seed hunting today, so I'm going to check out some online catalogs. I don't think I need too much for the veggie garden, I'm thinking about flowers today.
    That should fill a good part of my day and keep me from cleaning too much hahaha
    Have a great day all :)

Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.
  8. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Not to name names (it's not me!) but some people think you can soak cast iron skillets in water, and leave them sitting in another skillet without them being dry. But it's only a skillet, and can be refinished if needed.

@Willowisp0801 I've read about Griswold but have never seen one. Most of mine are Wagner, from estate sales, that I refinished. That rusty one was a Lodge. I have one that was made in the 1800s, refinished it too.

We bought a one-burner induction hotplate. It works better than gas - heats faster, control is better. Cast iron seems fine for that too.

I'm back in town. Major ice storms predicted for next 18 hours. Roads will be very hazardous. I chose to drive before the ice storm started. Mine was the only car on this stretch of road, so I took some photos.

IMG_5170.jpeg

IMG_5171.jpeg

IMG_5173.jpeg

These are after road crews cut the hazardous parts off, of course.

I don't get it. I thought tree roots should spread as wide as a tree is tall. These don't seem to spread much at all.

Attached Files:

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and Willowisp0801 like this.
  9. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Yeah mine came from a ST Vincent. It happened to be the half off color that day. But it was in great shape! I looked up the date by the logo on the bottom. It's fairly new, so to speak, by Griswold standards. 1939-1957.

I heard that you use salt to clean them. But I remember my mom cleaning it in the dish water then putting it on the stove on a hot burner. So that's what I do.

Melody Mc., Daniel W and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Dramatic fotos, Daniel.
    Pity that those trees went down. What a problem that is. Stay safe.

Willowisp0801 and Daniel W like this.
  11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently -17°C and sunny. I was taken off guard on my dog walk this morning ... seeing the wind blowing from the south west I assumed it wasn't too cold. Boy was that a wrong assumption! The windchill this morning is -38°C!! I have never in all my years felt a cold wind blowing from the south! South winds always bring warm air!
    So I'm thinking that it is very cold in the the central US, I'll check the weather patterns in a moment.
    Not sure what I'm doing today, other than warming up for a while!
    Have a great day all, and stay warm! :)

Willowisp0801, Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You stay warm yourself, Netty. Your day sounds chilling. Burrrrr.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, it's cold here, too. In fact, it's so cold I saw a teenage boy with his pants pulled all the way up.

Netty and Melody Mc. like this.
  14. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Daniel W - that is sad about those big fir - and dangerous. When they decide to come down it is simple luck and grace that keeps people safe. Sounds like a good decision to leave early - and a generator sounds like a great decision.

@Netty - that windchill is something else isn't it. It's hard to prepare for that.

We are in a heavy snow storm for the next couple of days. At least with the cold weather, the snow is light. My son on Vancouver Island is works for a municipality and is having to be on the roads with 11 inches of heavy wet snow. He is used to those conditions, but other drivers are not.

Today dinner is made - butter chicken and rice will be ready when we are. It is snowing too hard to do any snow removal, so it will be quilts, movies and another log on the fire. I'm very glad we cancelled the appointment in the city today. The roads are very dangerous. I think the satellite is fixed. The ice was definitely the culprit ( fingers crossed).

Stay warm and safe everyone.

15. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

That's a good one! I'm lucky that I work in a school that requires no under clothing to show.

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and Netty like this.