The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently -3°C and snowing.
    I had a productive day yesterday, doing some deep cleaning in the laundry room/back hallway. Then I headed out to the greenhouse to do some organizing and sweeping. Did a little bit of 'inventory' to see what I need for spring and I think I am ready.
    :setf_050: Oh my gosh Sjoerd, who would do such a thing? Gardeners worst nightmare! I hope the vandals were caught and punished.
    Today, I hope to get my craft room sorted and re-organized.
    Have a great day all :)

2. Clay_22

Clay_22 Young Pine

Good Morning Currently 34* F and rain with a high 42 today in the northeast

Willowisp0801, Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Sadly no, Netty. I was so angry. My Bride was nervous and softly said she was glad that I could not get hold of them. Haha. She exaggerates.

Good luck with your craft room.

4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Today has a feel of spring, even though it is still January. We re above freezing. All of the snow slid off of the porch roof in three stages, but Hubby had the great idea of pushing it with the plough truck instead of me shoveling the ice and compacted wet snow. What a dream! The truck and plough barely fit, but he managed to push it all. Such a treat.

It was a big kitchen morning making some dogfood for Angus - he is in need of a leaner food source and far less fatty treats. It's a learning curve, but a big shout out to @Daniel W for all of the advice, recipe and support. I really appreciate it. Angus loves it.

The logging has begun on either side of us. It is still in the distance but in the end it will come around the back of the mountain behind our home. Our property goes about about three miles around us- so we will not see the logging from our home, just hear it. Our run off pattern could change in the spring, depending on where they log. I'm not looking forward to a couple months of hearing a Faller Buncher starting at 3 am.

We had a bit of a hairy drive home from the city on Monday. The road was only ploughed to a single lane and we were meeting loaded and empty logging trucks for 19 km. There were only three pullouts wide enough to allow us to pull over and them to get by. Thankfully we had a radio, but it was a lot of coordinating, backing up and waiting. When we got home I called the road crews office and asked them to send a grader to widen the road, siting the dangers for any traveler, never mind one who didn't have a radio. The logging companies are doing a big push before spring break up when the roads and bush are shut down until things dry out.

I'm off for a walk with Angus before the rain and snow arrive this afternoon. I'm going to put a snow shoe trail to the water at the creek, for a little taste of spring to come.

Pacnorwest, Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Mel…Logging trucks are dangerous driving conditions in snow, ice. Scary enough. Many neighbors have ended up in the ditch including me from them driving to fast forcing oncoming cars to pull over..no place to pull over. The logger trucks take up two lanes and many dangerous road curves up the mtn are treacherous.

Be carful …I had a logger truck follow me down the hill on snow icy road and foggy early 5am , the only thing I saw in my rear view mirror was the center of the trucks grill… and there was no place to turn over to let the trucker pass. That’s when I decided to get car cams for front and rear visibility and tape videos. I really like it easier to drive , but takes time to get used to it.

Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thanks for the concern Pac. I'm not sure what front and rear car cams are Pac. Like a go pro or dash cam? I have a back up cam in the big truck ( thank goodness because I'm so short I can't see out the back widow without a boost up). That sounds like a scary experience - it's unfortunate that the driver was so close. I'm sure he was sweating bullets on that road too, it's hard to slow down safely with such a heavy load.

Everyone who lives here full time has the same radios as the logging truck drivers and low bed operators. Over an hour of our drive to the nearest town is on an active logging road. The drivers are really great and respectful, always very helpful. The back road we took a few days ago really needed to be widened with the grader - it was like a bob sled run. Tough for them and us.

We communicate our locations with KM marking signs, with the name of the road in front of the km marker. So for example, every three km ( unless we are getting close to a truck) I will call "8000 road, km 32 down, pick-up truck", and if someone is calling "up" then we coordinate when we will meet. Legally the logging truck always has the right of way, and it's my responsibility to pull over. They also don't have to identify themselves as a logging truck - it's my responsibility to identify myself as not being a logging truck. Most drivers are really good though, and will say if the they are "empty" or "loaded" - just for safety.

The problem arises when there is seasonal traffic that does not have a radio. The logging truck drivers are really good at looking out for them, and always radio " car up, no radio " and the km they are at. When I drive my daughter out, we have a two way radio between her car and my truck, and I radio " Two up, car behind no radio"...and when we get closer to the truck I tell them it's my daughter and they always slow right down for her. Very sweet.

We've personally been very lucky - but every time we navigate the logging trucks I'm a bit goose bumpy and tense.

Once when I was brand new to using the radio, I had to make an unexpected solo trip over a back mountain logging road to see my Son. The road is a main artery for many other logging roads. I was so touched when the drivers asked me what I was doing out there and I told them. A guy pulled over and explained the route to me, and what to watch out for. He and his partner put me between them on the nasty drive - and on the radio for the whole trip I was "little lady in the white truck". When they pulled off to the Hammer, someone else took over and chauffeured me to the town. They've done the same for my friends who didn't have a radio, and for my son. We've been very fortunate with the drivers, not so much with the road conditions and maintenance.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
    Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Today feels like spring, and I can even see a little bit of blue. It's a sunny -2. We are going to take the plough off of the truck for a couple of weeks. Even though it is a one tonne, it is lower to the ground and easier for Angus to get in and out of than the 3/4 tonne town truck. After the plough is off, I'm going to go for a walk down the road. Hubby and Angus will find me in about half and hour down the road and pick me up. We will continue on to the river to see if any moose are beginning to migrate down there. I'm always excited to see them in late Jan or Feb.

Sjoerd and Daniel W like this.
  8. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

We're getting the warm fog from the snow, and warm winds coming off the lake here. We've been up to high 30s and rain (indoor recess makes for a cranky sewing room afterwards.....certainly not me!!!!).

Pacnorwest likes this.
  9. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

That's Awful!

Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I finished repairing and smoothing the drywall around the new windows. I watched several videos about matching the wall texture, and did that yesterday. It was easier than I expected. Then I painted a primer / test coat on the resurfaced wall in my Rufus room / home office / get away room. It matches the old paint very well. I can just paint that wall, not the entire room. Much faster and easier.

The bathroom remodel continues slowly. There is cement board on the walls now for the tub surround. The tile installer was no-show yesterday but might come come today.

Weather was not good for being outside but there is lots to keep me busy inside.

Willowisp0801, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Paining one wall is a lucky break from painting the whole room. Painting is not one of my fav things however nothing can spruce up a home than fresh paint. winter is a good time to spruce up the interior of homes. I see the remodel is movin along at least slow better than nothing. Of course maybe the weather we have had , slowed a lot down.

Sjoerd and Willowisp0801 like this.
  12. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Today I found my dog. There was a dust bunny running around and I thought it ate Rufus.

IMG_5163.jpeg

I got the dust bunny onto a table and attacked it with scissors and clippers. After much squirming and wiggling (on his part, not me) - I found him!

IMG_5272.jpeg

Plus he got a bath and rubdown. It was spa day.

Despite his protestations, I think he likes the result. He always goes into zoomie mode after a spa treatment.

I also finished painting my room. Next to move the furniture back in.

13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Zoomies seems to be an after grooming activity for dogs…all pretty and what a cutie.
    Have you tried any of the interactive toys for dogs? They are rechargeable and on rainy days the dogs get plenty of exercise. Interactive ball toys for dogs are great when they get bored , rechargeable cord and three different modes. It’s hilarious to watch …Amazon.

Furniture movin …o’ boy.. is it time to have fun yet. It will be all worth it when everything is all done.

Willowisp0801, Sjoerd and Daniel W like this.
  14. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 0°C and mostly cloudy. It looks like we might see a little bit of sunshine today!
    Busy couple of days at the rink, and today its house cleaning and laundry day. I also have to drive out and pick up a tub of skates that were out for sharpening.
    I've been busy shopping online for seeds. I was looking for 2 varieties of tomatoes that I just couldn't seem to find at the same seed company, but finally I found them at True Leaf Market. Its a new to me company out of Utah and I thought I would give them a try and bought a few other packets too. While online, I discovered that Proven Winners now offers online shopping! Since I always have trouble finding the Supertunia 'Vista Bubblegum' around here, I ordered directly from Proven Winners for spring delivery! Win win!
    51 days until spring! :setc_005:

Willowisp0801, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  15. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Wow, 51 days!

Pacnorwest likes this.