The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 6°C and sunny. It look like another beautiful day ahead!
    I got only 2 windows cleaned yesterday before the sunshine and high temperatures lured me outside. I had the greenhouse door open while I was outside cutting down the old asparagus stalks and it hit 31°C inside! Yikes! Good thing there isn't any plants out there yet!
    @Melody Mc. I am giggling picturing you in your housecoat yelling out to the wolves in the middle of the night! Hey wolves, keep it down we are trying to sleep in here! :chuckle:
    I'm going to try to get more windows cleaned today, and still have some time outside before the rain starts.
    Have a great day all :)

Willowisp0801, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Clay_22

Clay_22 Young Pine

Raining 43°F 6°C. Rain in the forecast next 2 days.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  3. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently -2°C and sunny. Weatherman says we are going to hit 10°C today with sunshine!
    I have my regular errands and shopping to do this morning, then hopefully home to spend some time in the gardens doing some cleanup.
    And an hour at the rink this evening.

Willowisp0801 likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Our day started off well, and seems to be improving even more! The fog that has been present the past two days has dissipated and we are clear with a strong likelihood of sunshine. Our day is not so busy as Netty's, but I'll putter around the house, do a bit of cooking, and husband will do whatever he is doing in the workshop. I love it when he disappears into the workshop--when he reappears there is always something lovely he's made, or an improvement on something in the house (you ought to see our door thresholds made of mesquite!).
    I'll echo Netty and wish you a great day, and happy puttering!

Advertisement
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Foggy here too with a light frost. Sun is shinning. Hope is right around the corner ..spring is on its way.

Not a lot to do in the garden yet , maybe tomorrow can get out to mow the yards and pastures. Will use the blower to clean off the debris from wind storms today… and muddy paw prints left from the pups on the porches. The yards and pastures are so soggy.

marlingardner hope it is not smoky where you are. I read somewhere your safe from the wild firs there. We have had a few the last few years. The days are dark and filled with smoke, even the smoke and ash gets in the house leaving fine ash on window sills and comes thru ceiling vents. Also covers all the garden plants in ash . Blocks the sun all day. Very strange. Glad your not experiencing any residual effects.
    Would love to see pics of your hubs wood working skills of the mesquite door threshold you mentioned. :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I the high 50s today and sunny. I didn't do much outside. The bathroom remodel is almost done and I want it to be fully functional.

I wound up painting on a heavy duty primer to make the various old coats and new drywall and patches and sharpie lines disappear. The old leak is completely repaired and patched and invisible. Then I painted.

IMG_5550.jpeg

I will wait until I can make a trip to the hardware store for a good quality edging brush, and redo the edges. I'm bad at that and it shows. Towel racks are needed, and a nice medicine cabinet over the toilet. Meanwhile, it's fully useable.

Here's the same view, before remodel.

IMG_5065.jpeg

I tris to put to work, ideas about physical access, color and lighting for more comfortable vision, space to make cleaning easier, and some comfort issues. Having daylight helps a lot. I saved a little money by buying returned products for some things (light, mirror, ceiling fan). Those work fine and I think they look good.

I need to install better grab bars. The suction cup type doesnt work that well.

Melody Mc., Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Wow Gorgeous… time for a celebration. Your bath remodel looks fabulous. I’m jealous you have a nice deep soaking tub and so worth all the up datating materials you chose. All the new tiles flooring walls counter sink mirror and fixtures are just Stunnin…:setc_083:…thumbs up to you and it was all well worth it and so much more. Job well done on the painting…:setf_006:…cheers… :setf_056:

Willowisp0801, Sjoerd and Daniel W like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Daniel, that turned out better than excellent. It looks very posh. The next time I need a smart-looking bathing room installed, I’m calling you, mate.
    Well done.

ps— the Bride gives you full marks as well.

Willowisp0801 and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Netty

Good Friday morning all. Currently -1°C and sunny. Not sure how long the sun will stay out as weatherman calls for rain today.
    After I got my errands and shopping done, I managed to get one of the back gardens cleaned up, and the wisteria vine trimmed back a little bit. Hubby doesn't like how it reaches out to grab him when hes cutting the grass haha
    I have a couple of projects to do with my Cricut machine this morning, then onto cleaning the upstairs windows. I have finished all the windows downstairs, and what a difference!
    @Daniel W Your bathroom project turned out amazing!!

10. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Daniel, your bathroom looks great! What a difference from before!

Sjoerd, Daniel W and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Thanks all for the nice compliments on the bathroom remodel. It took a while but it's worth it.

Today was a trip to the hardware store for a good edging brush, and a trip to the public library for some books about roses. Mostly I like looking at the pictures. I checked out "The English Roses" by David Austin (again) and Growing Roses in the Pacific Northwest" by Nita-Jo Roundtree.

https://www.davidaustinroses.com/products/the-english-roses-by-david-austin

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/...in-the-pacific-northwest-by-nita-jo-rountree/

Sjoerd, Willowisp0801 and Pacnorwest like this.
  12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Daniel the big box/paint stores have a nice selection of angle brushes at several widths. They are my fav. Use them a lot.

Getting books on roses especially growing roses in the PNW is a great idea. I had a terrible time with hybrid teas. They get black spot so easily here. I finally settled for ramblers, climbers, shrubs, polyanthus, florabudas, even mini’s. I have a mini in the garden for years. Blooms no bigger than your pinky.

David Austin roses are exquisite, will check out your links. Thanks for posting them. I’ll keep your roses planted this season as a test garden, for roses to purchase in the future for my garden. How’s that? Maybe just let me know how well they perform in this climate. Looking foreword to seeing their blooms !

Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
    Daniel W and Willowisp0801 like this.
  13. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

My grandma had a huge patch of the little pink wild roses growing on a split rail fence, my grandpa made. In the summer we'd sit in the Arbor (also made with the split rail fashion by my grandpa) and they always smelled so good. They're probably the ramblers you're talking about, Pac. My grandma had all sorts of flowers growing all around. My grandpa was the edible gardener. Although I did make rose hip jelly one year out of those same type of roses. So I guess she had some edible plants.

Daniel W and Pacnorwest like this.
  14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

You had some pretty good grand gardeners. How lucky to experience all the beautiful flowers and edibles . What a nice memory.

Willowisp0801 likes this.
  15. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently -3°C and snowing. There is also a brisk north wind.
    Not sure what is happening today. I have to pick up skates from the sharpener at some point, and pick up seeds that my daughter ordered for me. So that includes a visit with the grandkids, which makes me happy. I've already washed the last load of laundry, and there is a pile to fold but that can wait until tomorrow.