The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Clay_22

Clay_22 Young Pine

After a cool and rain filled Saturday; it is currently Mostly Cloudy 43°F .6°C moved the clocks ahead an hour, filled the bird feeders and suet cages and now a nice cup of coffee.

Daniel W, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Another rain wind storm has moved in .. looks like another soggy day.

Daniel W and Sjoerd like this.
  3. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

IMG_6311.jpeg

Rain for today and the next three days. Good for freshly planted roses, and for ducks.

I sliced a rotisserie chicken and dehydrated for Rufus treats. Also a pack of chicken hearts. The hens got the remains of the rotisserie chicken and ate every scrap, even the bones.

I made a dozen breakfast burritos and froze them. Scrambled eggs, hash browns, soy chorizo crumbles, cheese, and hot sauce. Good for snacks any time. Also some rice krispie treats but substituted corn flakes. I'll use rice krispies (generic) next time.

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Daniel did you get the roses you ordered ? It’s raining and hailing here. So I’ve been cleaning, redecorating rooms, ya know swooshing things up inside. Freshening up rooms and adding new and different accents, rugs…wall mounts.

Your breakfast burritos sound yummy. What a good idea. And your hens must be happy ... lots of fresh eggs too. And they are great bug detectors. I had ducks for quite awhile. Duck eggs make great meringue for lemon meringue pies.

Last week I got rotisserie chickens for the dogs, boil them all down . The meat falls away from the bones easily. Then have chicken broth to mix with chicken, beets, sweet potatoes, quinoa and carrots. Or whatever veggies are available . Mix it all into small chunks with an immersion mixer . My dogs are not picky eaters.

Also I wanted to tell you that I found a utube video of Anita-Jo Rountree’s garden in Portland Oregon. You mentioned books you ordered on growing roses in the PNW she wrote, when quoting names of roses you ordered. She also has a Instagram account. I became curious and really enjoyed the tour of her garden on utube. Some amazing plant combos in her pics from her garden. Just thought to share with you if you hadn’t seen her garden. For many years I traveled to see many beautiful gardens in Oregon and Washington and several other states… As always many gardens leave a lasting impression of how plants can be combined and displayed with greater diversity, color and how much they add to the landscape and to the market value of homes.

http://www.thedangergarden.com/2022/12/nita-jos-gardenanother-npa-study.html
    https://www.instagram.com/nitajorountree/

Daniel W and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  5. Clay_22

Clay_22 Young Pine

Today will not be a nice day despite the high - Mostly cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 46. Wind chill values between 20 and 30 early. Windy, with a northwest wind 24 to 31 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph.

Pacnorwest, Daniel W and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That Danger Garden series was a doozie— it could have been yours. I especially liked it because of the landscaping, but also because I saw several plants that I grow and have grown…so, I would like it wouldn’t I. Chuckle.
    Really lovely to see. Thanks for the link and your posting.

You know Pac, I was thinking again about that dreadful tree chopping incident that cleared the area under the electrical line that lead up to your home. — it would never have happened here because such electrical wires are underground. I wonder if you couldn’t make a special request to have your’s buried.

Once again, I am so sorry about your trees, meid.

Willowisp0801, Clay_22 and Daniel W like this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Thanks again Sjoerd. :) I looked into putting the electrical wire and landline - phone underground years ago and it would cost thousands-a bit spendy . Running just the electric from the road to the house would cost over $18,000. Running underground electrical service from the road costs an average of $12,250 for a length of 500 feet. Never before has the trimmers ever come on our property in 30 years. That was the first incident and the last. I have decided to put 4 parallel HOT wires all the way around the trees/garden on both sides of the driveway. The same way I keep the horses in the pastures. It’s a pretty good pop when the electric wires are hit . Keeps the horses inside. It will keep tree scalpers out .
    This way the driveway is still clear for deliveries, mail, etc.

Willowisp0801, Daniel W and Sjoerd like this.
  8. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Yes, they had moved after Oklahoma's last dust bowl, around 1940. He got a job with the power company in Washington State. They drove his model A or model T truck (I don't remember which it was) up and my mom said he was so proud when he got it up to 50 miles per hour. My brother and I were told not to play in it. It was in the wood shed out behind the wash-house. We, of course, decided one day to do it anyway... who's going to know. I'm pretty sure my brother talked me into it, I probably wasn't an angel but he's 2-1/2 years older and I pretty much followed him everywhere. We played for a bit, he "drove" of course. Then we decided to go do something else. But the door was stuck, we couldn't get out. I was young enough I just remember us not being able to open the doors. I remember when my grandma came out to take the kitchen scraps out to the compost or maybe they still had chickens then. But we pounded on the windows and yelled until she heard us. I don't know if there was some trick to opening the doors, but we got out. She never told my grandpa. But we also never played in it again.
    He taught us what we could eat if we ever were lost in the woods, too. There were huckleberries, red and evergreen, salal, Oregon grapes, thistle all sorts of things.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
    Pacnorwest likes this.
  9. Clay_22

Clay_22 Young Pine

Currently Clear 36°F 2°C with a predicted high of 59°F

Willowisp0801 and Pacnorwest like this.
  10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently -1°C and sunny. Looks like its going to be a beautiful day!
    I've been sorting seeds and I have made packets of various seeds for an upcoming seed swap. There is also a seed bank at the local library, so I made some for there too. I'll continue to make more packets as I sow my own seeds for this years garden.
    Finally heading over to see the grand kids today, and pick up my seed packets. I'm excited to see what they've been up to!
    Have a great day all :)

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Netty, I hope your season is beginning there now.

Daniel W and Pacnorwest like this.
  12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Good Wednesday, with herbs to up-pot, a bit of baking to do (bread supply is getting low), and husband in the equipment shed fiddling with a shredder. Our asparagus is coming up--fresh asparagus next week, and not the tree trunks from the grocery! How they have the nerve to try to foist that off on customers amazes me.
    Husband went into town to get chicken feed and drop off donations to the food pantry (money) and items for the re-sale shop. Spring cleaning so far has consisted of getting rid of usable items we no longer use, nor will. They are always so grateful and say thank you multiple times. Giving can be so gratifying!
    Hope you all have a gratifying day, too.

13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

marlinggardener looks like we are on the same page . Yikes, the spring cleaning . Racking up stuff never gonna use or need . Now in the middle of it… I’m wonder what the heck was I thinking saving this or that thing? I don’t get it now. Just saving stuff at that time thinking,”I may need this some day.” Well that some day is here now.
    OMG …I gotta load it all up and haul it away. A Mac Truck is needed for this haul. The stuff collected over time is scary at times.

I actually found over $1000.00 tucked inside a spray can disguised as a national brand of furniture polish. It’s one of those cans where the bottom screws out to hide stuff. Fooled me . I actually thought is was furniture polish. Even hidden the cash from myself. I almost threw the can away wondering why did I save a empty can of furniture polish. Well that made my day. Now thinking how many new plants can I buy? :smt026

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Marlin— I feel so proud to know you.

Pac— That can had a silver lining innit.

15. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Getting rid of the stuff is a challenge, isn't it?
    There's some here too LOL. After binge watching "Hoarders" I'm even more motivated to get rid of unneeded stuff. I ask myself "am I a hoarder of plants? Or just a collecter?" and the answer is, I do have too many. I don't think it's hoarder - level because I do actively get rid of most that are no longer worth my effort, or too much trouble, or nonperformers. Sometimes it takes me a while though. I think I stay to myself "that's enough" slightly too late, but I do say it.

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.