The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Wishing you a speedy recovery @Daniel W .:like:
    I am currently nursing my extremely painful back ,although I have Osteoporosis of the spine I can't recall what I may have done to aggravate it this time. Poorly backs are so debilitating. :(:crying:

Pacnorwest, Daniel W and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mel— good luck with the weeding. I hope things will be right for that soon as the weeds will compete with your planted plants for nutrition.
    As for your bathing challenges— well it takes me back to my time in rural Alaska, and at my grandparents home. Also when travelling in Malasia and Indonesia the most common way for us to bahe was with a mandii. Basically, a large barrel of water with a dipper to throw water over oneself. It worked a treat. In some backpackers accomodations the barrels with water had a few minnows in them to eat mozzie larvae. Brilliant.

Oreti— mind how you go with that back.

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 19°C and overcast. I'm up, had my coffee and my dog walk, and now I'm waiting for 9am so I can call my sister. We talk every single Sunday morning. I got all my planned jobs done yesterday ... beans canned, grass cut and trimmed, laundry washed and dried, and gardens watered. That leaves me with just laundry to fold today and some vacuuming then out to the back gardens to do some much needed weeding and deadheading. I also have some green beans to harvest today, and that will be tonights veggie with our steaks that are marinating in the fridge. Sundays are my favourite day of the week :)

Oreti, Melody Mc., Sjoerd and 2 others like this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Unlike Netty (the whirling dervish) I'm not doing much this Sunday. How that girl gets it all done is absolutely amazing!
    I'm making some Louisiana red beans and rice with sausage for dinner tonight which is a several hour process, folded some laundry done early this morning, and am trying to get back in the cat's good graces. Once a month we put a liquid flea/tick medicine between her shoulder blades and she hates it! There's no pain involved but she doesn't like anything to happen to her that is not her idea.
    Hope you all have a good Sunday, and no one gets upset with you!

Oreti, Melody Mc., Daniel W and 2 others like this.

Advertisement
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

[QUOTE="Oreti, post: 432845, member: I am currently nursing my extremely painful back ,although I have Osteoporosis of the spine I can't recall what I may have done to aggravate it this time. Poorly backs are so debilitating. :(:crying:[/QUOTE]

I am deeply sorry to hear of your serious back pain. It’s never easy to ever just try and make it thru one day.
    I totally get it. You have been thru a great deal just coping . I’m always thinking about you and I know your garden brings you much need happiness . Flowers bring more peace and feeling of joy from your beautiful garden.
    It’s a struggle at times . Sending gentle hugs and well wishes you way.

Oreti, Melody Mc., Daniel W and 2 others like this.
  6. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

That is so clever!! I told Hubby about that and he thought the idea was fantastic!

Daniel W, Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Happy Monday :) We are on the last day of a heat warning. It is very unusual for us to have over 40 C and not cool down at night. The typical pattern has begun of thunderstorms with dry lightening. BC is having quite a time of it again this year. I'm very thankful for the cool damp spring we had. Everything is tinder dry now after the last two weeks of heat.

We have 328 fires right now, with 32 starting since last nights lightening. We're all just kind of holding our breath for the next two days until the thunderstorms are replaced with cooler temps and rain. We have a town trip Wednesday but Angus will be coming with us for a roady. The closest one to us is across the lake, which I'm thankful for. The smoke is helping with the heat because it's blocking the sun today. :cool::setc_083:

Now it is time to mow mow mow!! And weed and harvest. :) I'm excited to reclaim the yard. We don't mow in the dry heat, we water and maintain the green space. The clover helped a lot with that.

Sjoerd, Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.
  8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Since climate change we are in the same boat with dry extreme hot conditions and electrical storms. Just in the last 2 days 100’s of new fires have started in Oregon from lightening strikes. We are under a state of emergency . Hoping the lightening storms will phase out in a couple of days.
    It is a time for caution as we have had a close call 5 years ago . I always keep a vehicle loaded with important info , food , clothing etc. We have taken precautions with building materials - fire resistant and water holding tanks .
    Sending blessings your way …stay safe .

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and Oreti like this.
  9. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

@Pacnorwest , you're so very kind indeed......

upload_2024-7-22_19-56-40.png xxx

Apologies for my late response but I've only just read back on posts.

I've had another fairly restful day and had a very slow 2 mile walk to visit my brother. I did consider not going but couldn't bring myself to. I know he won't remember my visit later but at that moment in time we have lots of shared fun and laughter together......so very precious and most definitely worth the painful walk. We sat out in the garden at his care home doing some bird, bee and butterfly spotting. If they landed on a plant I went over and took a pic to show him a close up image. He had me hunting for an elephant that he was convinced he had spotted.!!! Sad, but he joined us in seeing the funny side.:D That's him...he always did see the lighter side of things and it makes me so happy to see his sense of fun and humour have remained even though his memory has gone.:like:

Puts my issues into perspective indeed..

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  10. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Oops sorry @Sjoerd I really meant to

upload_2024-7-22_20-28-38.png first for you kind concern.

You've certainly experienced some interesting bathing sessions!!!

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

@Oreti no problema ! Thanx for your kind acknowledgement. Really enjoy your garden pics they have much more meaning knowing you are coping with limitations.as we all seem to be aging out , or is that aging up? Somehow we make it thru one season after another adjusting to our limitations one day at a time. Even when visiting with your brother your sense of humor always brings love and respect to a difficult situation.

@Daniel W please update us on how that big rose planter is doing? Ooo and you too..:chuckle:
    Haven’t seen you yet today… ready to dance the jitterbug yet ?
    As I say to myself I quit that years ago and for good reason. Take care .

Just checkin in on you…
    IMG_2028.jpeg

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mel, I always find myself worrying a bit for you guys living a bit isolated and then all the fires there. I hope that you and Pac will mind how you go and stay alert.

Oreti— You are welcome. I do hope that wou will feel better sooner rather than later.

Daniel W, Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Hi Pac,

So far the rose planters have been very rewarding. A few days ago I deadheaded and pruned them back. Here is a few weeks ago at their peak.

IMG_8350.jpeg

Actually, the peak for the middle one, "Bring me Sunshine". Each peaks at a little different time. Bring me Sunshine has the best fragrance, "myrrh", the other two have old-rose scent.

My only complaint is they are not as fragrant as I hoped. My plan for this fall is to dig up two in the garden and convert them to container roses too. One is Vanessa Bell, a very pale yellow also with myrrh scent,

No jitterbug or "dancing like no one's watching" yet. This morning I was still using a walker but this afternoon I puttered in yard about 30 min. No problems.

Today we filled out our ballets and drove into town to put them into the drop box. I research each candidate and vote for who I think has values consistent with mine, plus has a good chance to win. I wont say which "side", because I like that the Stew doesn't allow divisive topics.

It's possible the house painting might be finished tomorrow. I'm glad. That's the last major project for the year. This year, we put a lot of effort and disruption (and $$$) into wildfire risk mitigation plus retrofitting for energy savings / comfort / (and not coincidentally, living more comfortably in today's climate). Most should last the rest of my life. It still leaves replacing the front deck with a concrete patio (next year) and some more landscape changes (this fall and winter).

Up early tomorrow to make dog food. Then maybe some weeding.

Melody Mc. and Oreti like this.
  14. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

You should give yourself with a well earned break @Daniel W ....if that is possible, but I realise that can prove difficult during the peak growing/ harvesting season. You 've had a heavy workload to cope with but the benefits will be so hugely rewarding.

It seems like a sad fact of life these days, so often I see a gorgeous rose only to be disappointed by it's lack of fragrance. I can clearly recall my childhood days playing out in the garden with my siblings and the air was so heavenly thick with the fragrance from my Mum's beloved Rose collection.

Happy times. :)

Daniel W, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

@Daniel W I love your roses Fragrance is an additional plus. Many fragrant flowers are starting to peak this time of year. My allergy meds are calling. Sounds like your starting a collection of fragrant roses.

Oh boy walkers do come in handy don’t they. Still use mine occasionally . I can’t help you around your garden but I can help by adding that maybe wearing a back brace next time might save a bit of pain and recovery. I don’t lift very well always wear a back support anyway and use mindfulness to decide on what type of leverage moving heavy objects works best. Those rose planters look way to heavy. Roller saucers help out sometimes. I hope your back injury is not serious. Sending healing blessings your way.

Ooh ugh voting. it’s a total pain in the caboose. I don’t even want to think about any of it. Totally discouraged. And fed up. At least you have a system. I just don’t have the mental energy to deal.

Can’t wait to see your house finished and painted. Then you can finally get everything back in their places, take a deep breath get comfy and admire all the renovations.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2024
    Oreti and Daniel W like this.