The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

@Melody Mc. , so happy you had good times with old friends! And a dozen rainbow trout. All great things.

Those (word I cant post here) deer!

And cabbage rolls. Yum!

Sjoerd, Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

I cannot imagine who will put a bounty out on that deer when dear season comes round. Just kidding.
    Very sorry to hear that your garden was raided. Sneaky little blank blank.:sete_018:
    I am heart broken for you after all your planning , planting, and dedication for months. Sending Gentle Hugs your way.

Melody Mc. and Daniel W like this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ditto, what Pac said. Darn it.

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thank you for commiserating with me my friends. :crying:. I have officially climbed out of my "pity pool"....although it is a lovely warm and nice place to be. I stepped my toe out of the pool this morning, and am now officially out all of the way.

Hubby was planning a venison freezer, when I cautioned him again about the Momma and fawn. THEN this morning as soon as I woke and went to the washroom....looked out the window and THERE is the doe. I was going to yell at her until I saw her spotted little tag along behind her. Oh my.

My garden looks like a maze of baler twine but they seem to be thwarted. I can salvage what I need. Tomorrow morning will be a clean up project. I'll post some before and afters. :)

(blankety blank blank blank.....FUR sure. )

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 23°C and foggy.
    Highs of 30°C with a humidex of 42°C expected today. I am so over this heat, which has been in the 40's since last weekend. Working out in that weather has been brutal this week!
    I fell asleep watching videos on my laptop in bed, and woke up at 3:45am still on top of my blanket with my laptop still on my lap. My alarm goes off at 4am during the week and so I basically had an all night nap haha Thunder didn't even wake me to go outside!
    I hope to get the grass done before it gets too hot, and then I'll do the inside chores. I sure hope this heatwave ends soon!
    Have a great day all :)

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

It's almond picking day! We have a bumper crop of almonds, thanks to the spring/early summer rains. We'll be cracking and picking out almonds for hours. Almond cookies, green beans almondine, almonds sprinkled on salads. I wonder if there is a recipe combining pumpkin puree and almonds . . . .
    Netty, I sympathize. Here outside work is done by 10 a.m. during the hottest months (that doesn't include picking almonds). Just drink plenty of water, escape to the shade when you can, and wear a hat. I always thought gardening hats were an affectation until we moved to Texas. They are necessary!
    Hope you all have a cool day, but not nutty!

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mel— great to hear you are on the rebound now. That really was a devastating garden event. Jeepers-creepers. I shall be looking forward to your full report with mixed feelings.

Netty— I hope your heatwave soon ends. It has been hot here, but your’s sounds pretty bad.

Marlin— How exciting that you are having a bumper crop of almonds. Wonderful is that. I read some of your plans for the nuts and wondered if you have ever thought of making marzipan? I’ll bet that would be good.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Sending lots of gentle hugs to Mel, Netty and Marlin who have had some rough times lately . Between the garden raids, summer heat , and just makin it thru a tough day of harvesting almonds. We are all a group of warm hearted , hard working , loving spirits. :smt023

marlingardener, Netty and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 24°C and sunny - its only 7:30am so its going to be another hot one.
    I managed to get the grass cut yesterday, watered everything and also picked a bushel of beans. Looks like I'm canning again today!
    Slight chance of showers tomorrow, but then clear for the rest of the week. Highs are to hit 28°C today with humidex of 34°C. I have lots of indoor chores to do, so I think I'll be avoiding the heat and working inside today.
    Have a great day all :)

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Netty—Good luck avoiding the heat working inside if you will be putting-up beans, mate. ;)

Pacnorwest likes this.
  11. Netty

Beans don't take too long so if I do it early it should be fine. I hope haha

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well, today is "hull the almonds" day. There is an outer hull on almonds, and sometimes it falls off and sometimes it doesn't. Almonds.jpg
    The brownish green ones are hull on almonds. We soaked them overnight and will hull and drip on the patio. Those hulls are hard!

Kay, Sjoerd, Daniel W and 2 others like this.
  13. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Wow, Marlin - that's quite a haul!

I tried growing a supposedly hardy almond tree. It died in the winter. I grew hazelnuts but squirrels and jays ate every nut. I never got one. Now I have chestnuts, and I do get a few dozen in the fall.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh…those look nice, Marlin. I appreciate the trouble you are going to have shelling and hulling those. When we lived in Granada Spain there were trees just outside town. We harvested, but getting them out was a task alright.

marlingardener and Pacnorwest like this.
  15. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I made Rufus a ten day batch of dog food. Most goes into freezer, so only a three day supply is thawed at any time.

We had a black bean / brown rice, Mexican -inspired casserole for supper.

In between, a walk and some garden work that wore me out LOL.

Kay, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.