The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Thursday afternoon all. Currently 23°C and sunny. It was another busy day at work, especially since weatherman is calling for rain tomorrow and there is an outdoor wedding on Saturday. I think it all looks ok, so hopefully the rain isn't too torrential. I have lots to do indoors tomorrow and I sure would love an early Friday!
    Came home after grocery shopping and picked all the tomatoes that were turning red. They are starting to die back now, some hit with blight. I still have lots of peppers, eggplant, carrots, ground cherries, and greens. Always sad when the gardening season starts nearing the end.
    Have a good night all :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Sj you don’t have any pets?

@Daniel W you go.. I totally get what you are describing. Yes I agree it is shameless.
    I never give my dogs heart worm, or flea protection to place on their bodies which is a hormone, or all the added flu shots. Not one pet has ever had heart worm or fleas. Not to mention forced to neutering pets which robs them of normal hormones that they need as they age and makes them vulnerable to thyroid and other diseases. Rabies is a vaccination required by law to license our dogs, that’s good thing .

Rufus is a lucky boy because you make all his food. I’ve learned a thing or two owning pets over the years. Our pets are part of our families we love them dearly. I believe that the veterinarian industry preys upon that system with price gouging. .

Even the dog food industry has huge problems on recalls with pet food. The United States Department of Agriculture has no regulatory authority over pet food. The USDA does have a voluntary pet food certification program, but it is not acknowledged by FDA or State Department of Agriculture. USDA regulates meat used for human consumption under Food Safety Inspection Services, the agency does not officially regulate meat for pet consumption. That is wrong in every way. End rant.

Sjoerd and Daniel W like this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Pac— no, When our cats died a few years ago, we decided not to have any more pets for a while. Perhaps when we reach old age.
    We did have a Siberian Husky when living in Alaska.

Daniel W likes this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Sj I know what you mean it’s devastating when we loose our best 4 legged friends. Sometimes we just need a break.
    How long did you live in Alaska ?

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Pac— We lived there for five years. What a great experience.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

We always planned on driving there for the adventure on the Alaska hwy, or taking the Alaska ferry from Washington. Never made it. A friend of mine ran a fishing trip as a tour guide in Alaska every year a few years ago.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2024
    Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Today was quite hot. We took the car to Costco for new tires. It's a new section of the neighboring, fast-growing suburb (Ridgefield, WA).

Apparently, the state of Washington has fallen in love with traffic circles. We drove through at least six in the seven mile drive. They seem to work out fine. People are getting used to them.

Having a diabetic in the family, I decided to start wearing a glucose monitor too. It's definitely motivating me toward better habits! Some shocking numbers in there. At least brown rice and beans are OK LOL. No more wheat crackers for me!

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  8. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently just 9°C and overcast. I woke to the sound of gunshots, and found out that duck and goose hunting season has begun. They joys of living rural.
    Weatherman says not to expect any nice weather this weekend, so I'm going to take advantage and process garden goodies, do house chores, and take inventory of my fall and winter clothing. Seems to me I need a whole lot of things to wear, especially now after losing 21 pounds (I gave up processed food)
    Hopefully a productive day :)

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Congrats Netty! That's a big deal, and not easy! :sete_013:

(I'm earlier on a similar journey... We'll see how it goes...)

Netty and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

@Netty :sete_005::sete_013:congrats on your weight loss…:smt023

Oh duck season already Yikes. Then yeap gunshots will be heard around here too pretty soon.

Happy processing day!:smt081

Netty and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Congrats Netty, but you didn’t have to go and loose weight did you?! Why, I can’t imagine.

Netty likes this.
  12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

IMG_3950.jpeg

Netty, Frank and Sjoerd like this.
  13. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently just 9°C with a strong north wind. It sure feels like FALL!
    Had a productive day catching up on things around the house yesterday, and hope to do the same today. Rain is in the forecast again, although yesterdays rain didn't add up to much.
    Well Sjoerd, I'm getting to be at that age where the pounds are harder to get off, body parts start getting sore, and Doctors want to start putting me on medications instead of addressing the real reasons for high blood pressure and cholesterol - my DIET! I will do anything to avoid being put on medication, I don't want to be a supporter of our evil pharmaceutical industry. And what do you know ... after just one change of cutting out processed food and I've lost weight, brought down my cholesterol and blood pressure and inflammation! I also have way more energy, and that is a good thing! Not sure how it is over there, but here in North America it is criminal of what is allowed to be added to our food! Just start reading labels, you will be AMAZED!
    Thanks Danielle and Pacnor for your encouragement :)
    Have a great day all

Sjoerd, Pacnorwest and Frank like this.
  14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

@Netty I agree with every word you expressed. Our food in the US is jacked up with poisons too.
    I am not on any pharmaceutical medications and I stay as far away from doctors as possible. The doctors have no private practice it’’s all huge corporate organizations , bottom line Ca-Ching. Let’s not even talk medical insurance and why large hospitals are closing down and doctors and leaving the industry in the US.
    I am very happy for you that your healthier and happy to share your journey thru this maze we all fight every day.

Sjoerd likes this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I see Netty. It is wonderful that you are having noticeable improvement already. I am happy.
    Yes, we know about processed foods here and keep them to a minimum. That’s why we put so much into all the veg.

Pacnorwest likes this.