The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good afternoon all. Just another hot day in this neighborhood.

Yesterday the sky got very overcast and dark for a while so I stood out in the front yard watching those wonderful rain filled clouds move from north west of me to the south/south east of me.
    It was overcast and darkish this morning with a possibility of rain for us so I held off watering very hopeful but doubtful. It is now bright, sunny, hot and muggy with nary a drop of rain so the plants have to hold on for about 4 more hours before I can legally water them after 6.

2. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Reading the water woes here make me very happy to have a well and soaker hoses.

We are rain deprived here too.

The old and large American Elm that stood 12 feet from my front door is no more. It is now a rather large pile of firewood. What a shame, the roots were getting to the foundation.

Have I mentioned that I hate cabbage moths and their devil spawn?

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Good day everyone, It has been raining most of the day. With temps in the low 60's I was tempted to dig up a caladium or two to see if it would warm up. However, a warming trend is in store for next week, so why tempt fate. Tomato plant ST2 has fallen over :-( 16 others carry on toward the fall. GO TOMATOES!! :)

Jerry

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 11°C and sunny. Soccer game ran late last night so I am very tired today, and so is my daughter. Early to bed tonight, but first I have to get through the day. Have a great day all.

Advertisement
  5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Happy Thursday morning. No change in our dry & hot weather pattern which equals no change in my watering routine either.
    But the good news... my project for the church is complete. I volunteered to design/compile their big 60th Anniversary Commemorative booklet which was expected to be only about 20 pages, but ended up being more than double! I picked them up from the printers yesterday. :smt026 And the other stuff is all done too.... certificates, flyers, programs, signs... and even those little plastic thingys you fill with water for individual flowers.... all done! Now, this weekend is the celebration. So I'll be there helping set up tables, serve food and whatever. And then... I can return to my nice boring routine. Work. Home. Plants. Dog. Food. Bed. :D

6. toni

Good morning all. I spent all day waiting to see if the nice dark clouds with lots of thunder were going to drop anything on my yard so I could save a little money on the water bill.
    But I ended up having to water and watch the clouds go right on passed me.

Actually I am ever so glad they did, Just a very few miles south, southeast and southwest of me the storms were bad. Hail 2-3 inches in diameter and at one golf course it was a few inches deep on the ground. Early estimates are several million dollars in damages to vehicles, buildings and trees.
    Luckily the Chihully exhibit happening through the summer at the Dallas Arboretum only sustained 6 small breaks on only one piece.

7. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

When I heard about the hail I was wondering if any of you got hit.Very scarey.
    Glad it missed you.

sewNsow

8. Netty

Good Friday morning all. Currently 11°C and clear. Toni - they showed that hail on the news here, with baseball sized hail stones!! Imagine getting pelted with THAT! Wow! Off to another busy day at work ... TGIF, it's been a L O N G week.
    Have a great day all :)

9. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 12°C and overcast. I'm headed off to a nearby town for an oil change and a visit to a very large garden center. They are a little pricy but have EVERYTHING! Have a great day all ... I know I will ;)

10. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Good morning all. Going to a surprise 50th Birthday party today. Complete with 50 buzzards and everyone dressed in black. Should be fun.

11. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Happy Saturday morning. Regular old weather story around here... hot & dry.
    This weekend is the church's big 60th Anniversary celebration. I'm about to head over there and give a hand setting up tables, tents, whatever. The events do not start until around 5pm (basketball tournament, cards & domino tournament, music, food and then a Zydeco dance tonight).So maybe I can at least get some of the mowing done here in-between. It's going to be another hot one, but at least the event won't get rained out.

12. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 17°C and overcast with a strong breeze. Went to the garden center yesterday and showed amazing restraint ... until I got to the Hosta aisle. 3 new Hosta's came home with me. When can I officially declare that I have Hosta Fever? I have bought 8 new varieties this year. ALso bought a new Peony :)
    Have a great day all!

13. toni

Good morning all. Yet another hot and dry one coming for us.

Have had the grandson's since Wednesday. Their Mom was in a wedding last night and as the only local bridesmaid she was on call 24/7 to the bride for the last 6 months and especially last week. But she did look gorgeous in her silver colored bridesmaid dress, I really have to post the photo of her.

14. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Good Sun to everyone & Happy Father's Day to the Dads.
    Got 1/2 inch of the slooowest rain last night. Grateful.
    I don't have to water the containers.I'm still planting. Course how can I get done when I'm more likely than not to bring home 2 or 3 plants at every trip. That's OK.I consider stopping at the garden centers to be a much relished rite of spring.And,there are plants that really need to be rescued! Gives real meaning to Miracle Grow.
    sewNsow

15. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

If she looks half as good as you, it would be stunning, absolutely.